Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
claireplymouth

Birds and other mobile features in the garden 2014 #11

This thread is intended to give people a place to post photos and/or talk about birds, critters, wildlife, fish, whatever - topics you might not want to start a whole thread on, but are still garden-related. You can see the range of possible topics in the previous threads:

All of the threads in the "Birds and other mobile features in the garden" series prior to 2013 are now stored in the New England Garden Forum Gallery. See the top of the main page to switch between Discussions and Gallery. For 2012, see the links posted in Birds and other mobile features in the garden 2012 #7. These threads have been moved to the Gallery but there may be problems with some of the links. I've corrected those I can edit and I made an Index for threads from 2008 to 2011.

And for 2013:
INDEX: Birds and other mobile features in the garden 2013

2014 threads to date:
Birds and other mobile features in the garden 2014 #1
Birds and other mobile features in the garden 2014 #2
Birds and other mobile features in the garden 2014 #3
Birds and other mobile features in the garden 2014 #4
Birds and other mobile features in the garden 2014 #5
Birds and other mobile features in the garden 2014 #6
Birds and other mobile features in the garden 2014 #7
Birds and other mobile features in the garden 2014 #8
Birds and other mobile features in the garden 2014 #9
Birds and other mobile features in the garden 2014 #10

......................................................................................................................................

This may be the last warm day of 2014 and I'm sitting on the deck with my laptop watching the turkeys hurrying back and forth just below.

Wherever they're going that's a very purposeful stride.

Right in front of the deck

and turning the corner around the side of the house - probably heading to the ground feeding area.

Claire

Comments (83)

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Well, that junco knew what it was doing - it's snowing! Not sticking, the ground is still warm, but coming down.

I swear it's laughing at me.

I haven't figured out how to get a good picture of "snowing" - this is an early try. It mostly looks like white worms falling down from the sky.

Claire

Original Author
    9 years ago

OK, I set the shutter speed to 1/400 and ISO to 1600 and stopped the white worms in their tracks.

Claire

Original Author
    9 years ago

duplicate deleted.

Claire

This post was edited by claire on Sun, Nov 2, 14 at 12:56

• corunum z6 CT
    9 years ago

Snow bird, indeed! I'm telling ya, never bet against a bird!

• corunum z6 CT
    9 years ago

It took my best Buddha effort today not to clobber a chipmunk. As I lay under a huge yew and was squished by a stubborn hino crimson azalea, I tried to remember that they're just doing what they know how to do. However, as my jig saw was severing the elbow from the downspout so I could install a new downspout extension, the little digger was about 10' away watching me. This is what a chipmunk can do to a downspout: and this is the top of the cut-away looking down inside. No stones that size came from the gutter. He had created a foot high pile of dirt outside the stone wall that held the downspout extension. 35 years of roots had to be cut to get the old 4' long extension out that was buried in a raised bed. I have no idea why they did this inasmuch as they've built a palace under my deck. The cuteness level has dropped a notch.

Jane

Original Author
    9 years ago

Saw another woolly bear caterpillar this morning, this time on the concrete foundation by the porch steps.

It was still cold out and I decided to leave the woolly bear there in case it was waiting for the sun to warm it up - besides I had to go somewhere. When I got back it was gone. I wonder if it's trying to pupate under the cedar shakes.

Claire

Original Author
    9 years ago

Jane: You posted at the same time as I did.

I wonder if the stones serve as insulation for the winter abode of the chipmunk (which may be estranged from the chipmunks under the deck). Not to lay guilt on you, but the chipmunk has just been made homeless on the brink of winter....

Claire

• corunum z6 CT
    9 years ago

No guilt here! The rain water was backing up the downspout to the elbow joint and squirting against the house. They live under the deck, in condos around the house in raised beds, under the side stairs, under the front porch. They've unearthed multiple hydrangeas, buried bird seed in every pot, dug under plants on my deck which spewed pricey potting soil on a newly sealed deck and they drink from the bird bath and I do not own a Havahart trap. Last thing I needed was ice forming and splitting the downspout this winter Believe me when I say I have NO guilt.

I've read that the banded wooly overwinters in caterpillar form. However, if you want to keep him as a pet this winter, here's and article to aid that quest, lol.
    Jane

Here is a link that might be useful: Wooly Caterpillar picture (read caption)

Original Author
    9 years ago

How does a chipmunk unearth hydrangeas? Those are big, heavy plants and chipmunks are not great at cooperative projects. Are you sure that you don't also have other digging rodents in action?

I have no desire to bring a woolly bear inside for the winter, cute as they are. They're welcome to overwinter at the outside of the house, but not inside. I'm thinking of Isabella tiger moths emerging unexpectedly and flitting about the house.

Claire

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

We missed the weekend snow, but I am impressed by the junco's weather forecasting ability!

Yesterday afternoon the birds were much more active than they had been over the last couple of days of really blustery weather. This set of mourning doves were lined up along the branch, all facing into the wind and perhaps soaking up a bit of sun.

From early November 2014

• corunum z6 CT
    9 years ago

Aren't doves just the best? Friend in Maine got 16" of snow, so yes, NH was lucky.

Claire, the hydrangeas had recently been planted, not huge shrubs, and yes, they tunneled under and the plants were tipped with exposed roots. I did save them.

Original Author
    9 years ago

nhbabs: Those doves look like big buds on the tree branch, waiting for spring to open.

Jane: I didn't know that the woolly bears overwinter as caterpillars. According to Wikipedia:

"The banded Woolly Bear larva emerges from the egg in the fall and overwinters in its caterpillar form, when it literally freezes solid. It survives being frozen by producing a cryoprotectant in its tissues. In the spring it thaws out and emerges to pupate. Once it emerges from its pupa as a moth it has only days to find a mate.

In most temperate climates, caterpillars become moths within months of hatching, but in the Arctic the summer period for vegetative growth - and hence feeding - is so short that the Woolly Bear must feed for several summers, freezing again each winter before finally pupating. Some are known to live through as many as 14 winters.[1]"

I'm picturing a 14 year old furry popsicle.

Claire

• corunum z6 CT
    9 years ago

Claire said: "I'm picturing a 14 year old furry popsicle." I cleaned my SIL's refrigerator once so I have an idea. It's not a good thing.

I know they're not loved, but youth is youth and this little guy is mastering the one wing and tail stretch outside my window. Right now, he's a step above the chipmunk on the 'good' list.
    Jane

Original Author
    9 years ago

That's a lovely picture, Jane. I like house sparrows - they were kidnapped and moved to a strange environment and they've made the best of it. Perhaps something to admire there. They do eat a lot though.

Claire

• homegrowninthe603
    9 years ago

Love that pic, Jane. Beautiful colors of grey, green, rose, and wine. Bird is so sharp.

• corunum z6 CT
    9 years ago

Thanks to you both for above. As a pelican fan, I have to share this with fellow bird/nature lovers so you can see the trailer on Vimeo. (click where it reads: Pelican Dreams Trailer in the article.)
    Jane

Here is a link that might be useful: Audubon/Pelican Dreams

Original Author
    9 years ago

Looks like an interesting show, Jane. I don't know much about pelicans but they seem to have the same charisma as turkeys.

Down here on the ground, I took a walk today to the neighborhood gentleman farmer's place to check out the cattle.

The four of them were in the same pasture for a change.

The old bull mostly lies around.

And the black cow kept her back to me.

The white cow, though, decided to come over and visit me, which she's never done before.

The young black bull followed her.

The white cow came over to me - I've never petted a cow and don't know how, but I tried.

Apparently I'm not good at it because she backed off, although she seemed to stay aware of me until I left.

Anybody know how to pet a cow?

Claire

• corunum z6 CT
    9 years ago

Beautiful animals in a lovely field. I petted cows in Ireland but was standing next to them. Over a fence could be difficult, but keep trying...could lower your heart rate and the cow's! Just think,you could become a bovine reiki mistress.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to pet a cow

• corunum z6 CT
    9 years ago

Today is my first PFW day and most of the usual customers showed up. What was really nice was seeing finches with clear eyes. Last spring I was recording those with eye disease, so it is a welcome relief to see sparkling eyes - just at sunset: (yes, I checked both eyes)

And, somebody else sparkled all day:

I'm lucky in that there are 3 BC Chickadees here year round. Capturing them together is a fruitless effort, so I'll take what I get.
    Jane

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

Jane, I am impressed that you can manage to catch even one of them on film. They are common here, but they don't stay still for more than a few seconds, and I have not successfully photographed one yet! Lots of photos of empty branches, though.

Each time I scroll through this thread, Susan's (HG603) picture of the cardinal in the Japanese maple catches my eye. What a stunning photo!

• homegrowninthe603
    9 years ago

Nhbabs, I haven’t seen a cardinal since then, but I’m sure they will be back when we put feeders up later this month (if not before). Here are a couple more shots from that day. This one stood out from the others because he showed no crest like the other 2 did. I googled that, and read that the crest is a visible marker of his emotional state. When calm it lies flat, when excited it lifts. Since Cardinals are almost always on the alert, we usually see the crest. Who knew? Not me. Guess he's a laid-back one.

Susan

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

We usually only have a few pairs of geese in the spring out in the corn field, but this fall for some reason we are seeing large flocks. This group landed yesterday just before dusk, so I decided to push the limits of the camera to see how it does under adverse conditions (1/4 mile away in poor light.) Not too bad considering, though it isn't a great photo.

• corunum z6 CT
    9 years ago

nhbabs - a 1/4 mile is pretty darn good! I run to the window when I hear them flying overhead. It's a privilege to see a gaggle in flight.

Don't be too impressed, the pictures are a result of anticipatory behavior and his love of the feeder. Marie Read, a Cornell photographer, wrote an article about capturing bird behavior after studying their patterns. I've pruned low-growing birch branches so nobody puts an eye out, and those branches are lined up with the feeder which provide a perfect launch pad to the feeder for the smaller birds. So by watching their patterns daily right in front of my window, it's the telephoto lens using manual focus and shooting 7fps that matter. Here's what the setup looks like: he's on the pruned branch

and mid-flight after the launch:

They are quick, but it's because he's within 25-30' of me in a habitat I made for songbirds, that I can catch him. He is special!

Could be TMI, but I have to be honest about how I get close to him.
    Jane

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

Jane, definitely not TMI. Anything I can learn about improving photos from those of you with more experience and expertise is much appreciated! Even though I don't have feeders, the little tweety birds do hang out in the shrubs around the house. Sometimes I get the camera all set and stand near where they are hanging out and make shushing noises and they will come close to investigate, but I still haven't gotten any good photos except for the warbler I managed to get capture in September.

• corunum z6 CT
    9 years ago

nhbabs -- Any chance you could put a heated bird bath near a window for the winter? I know about the bears and food at your house, but water kept at 37 degrees is enough to make birds very happy and I don't think a bear would be enticed. A stationary (and helpful for the birds) place would afford you many opportunities to focus on their activity in one central area from the warmth of being inside. Claire has a different type, I think, but mine is mounted on a deck railing. It can be affixed to a cedar post with a wood platform or whatever elevates it away from deep snow.

Despite no longer loving winter, it is maybe the best season for bird photography due to the lack of leaves. It is very hard to use any auto focus on moving subjects. But, if you can keep songbirds in one spot, like a heated bird bath, long enough to capture good shots, I think it will encourage you to begin using the camera's manual controls which will afford a greater variety of shots. Right now that's all I can think of for attracting birds but not bears. Maybe Claire has other ideas. It's basically because of her and this thread that got me into this fantastic hobby!
    Jane

Here is a link that might be useful: Photographing birds -Cornell

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

I am not sure if a heated birdbath would attract birds on not since we have available running shallow water for most of the winter nearby. It might be interesting to try. Thanks for the link.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Susan: I remember a thread on a different forum (probably Bird Watching) where someone initially refused to believe her mystery bird was a female cardinal because it didn't have a crest. I helped convince her when I found a series of photos of one female cardinal raising and lowering her crest. Your photo is just gorgeous.

Jane: Good setup to capture a special little bird.

nhbabs: Nice faraway geese shot. Sometimes I grab the camera rather than the binoculars because the zoom is higher magnification.

I have a heated ground birdbath but we don't usually get deep snow in the winter.

Running shallow water is probably near freezing - a heated bath just might be more attractive because the water is a little warmer. I don't have the heated bath out yet but yesterday the temperature got into the fifties and a grackle had a fine splash in the regular birdbath.

Claire

• corunum z6 CT
    9 years ago

There was ice in the bath 2 nights ago, so it's plugged in - and has plenty of customers. That's a happy grackle.

You can't plan everything and today was one of 'those' days. Still have myopia in my shooting eye - awaiting glasses - but, when I was bringing the geraniums into the kitchen this afternoon, look who landed in the serviceberry tree:

And, the bath is being tested and used - here's the one toe test:

And, despite all my wishes for his relocation, Hoover is still vacuuming, storing and laughing:

Jane

• pixie_lou
    9 years ago

Bambi is getting a little too comfortable in the yard.

• corunum z6 CT
    9 years ago

Ohh,she's dear! No dummy, she knows a good place to relax.

• corunum z6 CT
    9 years ago

This is the half twist belly barrel roll, right from the jump off the feeder, but look at his head - absolutely straight and focused while the feet are at 90 degrees facing the camera. Amazing. He loves peanuts.
    Jane

• homegrowninthe603
    9 years ago

duplicate post deleted

This post was edited by homegrowninthe603 on Fri, Nov 14, 14 at 14:37

Original Author
    9 years ago

Jane: A Cedar Waxwing looking like a raccoon with wings! and a red-belly that would put a gymnast to shame!

pixie_lou: Bambi is daring you to evict her (I wouldn't either).

Claire

• homegrowninthe603
    9 years ago

Awesome shot, Jane!

• corunum z6 CT
    9 years ago

Thanks, Susan, the woodpecker is very cooperative.
    This little chap is directly outside my window. An itch is just a universal understanding, isn't it?
    Jane

Original Author
    9 years ago

there it is....right there....aaaah! I know that feeling well. Great shot, Jane.

Claire

• homegrowninthe603
    9 years ago

The turkey parade came through again today. Instead of the usual 10, I only counted 9. One could have gone into the woods before I saw them, but I will see how many show up next time. The poults have grown a lot, and are difficult to distinguish from the hens these days.

Susan

Original Author
    9 years ago

Nice turkey shots, Susan. I like the team marching down the field picking up the leftovers.

Do you see many ticks? Turkeys are supposedly good at slurping up ticks.

Claire

• homegrowninthe603
    9 years ago

Claire,

Have only seen a couple of ticks here. Maybe all of our bird friends keep them in check. The turkeys are welcome to any and all! DH (tick magnet when at camp in VT) is on antibiotics again for Lyme.

Susan

• corunum z6 CT
    9 years ago

November is not a great month to say 'I love turkeys', but I do and pictures of them. What a gift we all have to be sharing life with these creatures.

One of those creatures (Dark-eyed Junco) arrived 3 weeks before the first snowfall this year, but considering the sweeping cold in the North, once again, they're probably on schedule. First snowfall was Nov.14, 2014 - about an inch. Might be time to store the outdoor furniture.
    Jane

Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm almost finished with winterizing the deck, just a few more things to store today; all in its proper time. First I had to drain the hose and put out the heated birdbath, install the squirrel resistant cage around the rhododendron Percy Wiseman (tasty flower buds) and start protecting a few shrubs before the ground freezes so I can't put a stake in.

This was the first morning with temperatures below freezing and my heated birdbath failed! It may be just the GFI - I reset it and we'll see tonight. I had to break ice and refill all of the birdbaths, to the great relief of the turkeys that were clustered around the frozen baths when I looked out this morning. The row in the back is turkeys bellied up to the water bar.

I saw an article in the Cape Cod Times online today about Birders wonder if snowy owls will return to Cape. Apparently they're beginning to trickle down to New England.

Claire

This post was edited by claire on Sat, Nov 15, 14 at 10:50

• corunum z6 CT
    9 years ago

Snowy owl was photographed today on Parker River NWR, Plum Island, MA - posted on Face book Birders. Have to get one - sooner or later! Rhode Island shore is easier for me.

Claire, weren't there some spotted near you last year and would you go to see them (it)?

Jane

This post was edited by corunum on Mon, Nov 17, 14 at 16:36

• homegrowninthe603
    9 years ago

There was a snowy owl sighting recently here in NH too, at Hampton Harbor.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rare Bird Alert WMUR Channel 9

This post was edited by homegrowninthe603 on Mon, Nov 17, 14 at 17:06

Original Author
    9 years ago

Jane: I think there were sightings in Duxbury and on Plymouth Long Beach, maybe even in Ellisville, but I didn't go to look myself. I'm not really into life lists and I don't have the equipment to take good long-range photos. I've read many warnings asking people to stay a good distance from the owls to avoid scaring them away from their hunting area.

Now if one showed up in my yard I'd be shooting until the battery ran dry.

Claire

Edit note: I wonder if a Snowy Owl would attack an adult turkey (small poults probably)....

This post was edited by claire on Mon, Nov 17, 14 at 17:19

• corunum z6 CT
    9 years ago

Wow, Susan! That's quite an impressive list. Are you close enough to go to NH's shore for a look?

We're on the same page, Claire. If the bird/animal is not disturbed, I try to photograph it. The creature comes first, then the photo, but with me behind a window and the creature okay, shoot until you can't. Agreed. The timing is everything, also. I spent a day at Ninigret NWR a while back and came home with one decent shot of a young loon. The place was empty. The only owl I've ever seen was dead on a forest floor of old age apparently;timing is everything, especially for the poor owl.
    Jane

• homegrowninthe603
    9 years ago

Jane, yes I am just a few minutes from the ocean. I should go to check out the birds, but I know I would not have the patience to wait for something to happen. At home, I try to take advantage of opportunities as they arise. That’s why I like the long lens! Every so often I happen to be in the right place and get a decent shot. Yesterday, I noticed a lot of commotion in the yard, and saw a big flock of bluebirds, some blue jays, red-bellied woodpecker, cardinals, goldfinches, juncos, etc. Made me wish we’d put up the feeders, but that will happen soon. Most shots were junk, but here are a couple of so-so bluebird ones.
    Visiting the pokeweed

Sitting on the rail above the nesting boxes

That NH Audubon rare bird alert is on the WMUR web site weekly. They must have a lot of loyal observers throughout the state. I'm always surprised at what people are seeing!

Susan

Original Author
    9 years ago

I didn't see your post, Susan. It must have snuck in while I was answering Jane.

Mass Audubon also has a state-wide list of bird sightings.
    "Snowy Owls have made bit of a statement this week, with appearances on Plum Island, Crane Beach, Salisbury, and Methuen."

I wouldn't be surprised if Connecticut Audubon does too.

Claire

This post was edited by claire on Mon, Nov 17, 14 at 20:09

• corunum z6 CT
    9 years ago

Wonderful bluebirds, Susan. I haven't seen any yet. They usually come for water and suet in the winter. I'll have to check CT reports for Snowies - haven't seen any yet.

Original Author
    9 years ago

This thread is getting way too long so I'll set up a new one in a few minutes.

Claire

• pixie_lou
    9 years ago

I never had the opportunity to go see the snowy owls last winter. I'm blaming my girlfriends - they took a day trip to Salisbury, but went on my skiing day! Seeing the list of sightings this year has made me determined to get up to the coast to see the Owls this year.