Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Canna care in south western CT

Posted by javaandjazz z6 CT (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 4, 09 at 15:49

Hello everyone,
I grew some cannas in a container this year. Do I let the frost knock them down and just store the planter with the rhizomes and dirt in my basement? I just read some info on a site and it sounded like they said to do that. Thanks, Richie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Canna care in south western CT

Hi Richie,
I do that with my cannas and my callas and gingers too. I find a cool place and only water slightly to keep the soil from getting really dry. The idea is to keep them alive but to discourage sprouting as long as possible (hopefully until spring!) When I do put them out, I top dress the soil and start feeding again. If I have to repot I do that in warm weather and they grow right into the new pot.

A lot of people take them out of the pots and wash off the roots and tubers, storing them dry. That also works, but seems to be a lot of unnecessary work to me.

Bill

o

Thanks Bill. Much easier that way. I am trying the basement with several plants this year.

o

Richie, after a frost kills the tops, I let them stay out a couple of days (unless it's going to get really cold - you don't want the roots to freeze!) and let the juices flow back to the tubers to plump them. The I trim off the dead leaves and stems and bring them into the coolest part of the basement. They've been around for several years with this treatment. I got brave and divided one of the gingers and planted part of it in the ground this year. I'm going to use mulch and a "Hail Mary" to see if it makes it!

o

Thanks again for your help Bill!!

o

Do you think it would also work with elephant ears??

o

I don't see why it wouldn't work for Elephant Ears as well. Further south where they can be left in the ground all year they go dormant after a freeze just like cannas. All you're really doing is bringing a little piece of the "ground" (in the pot) indoors.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here