Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pixie_lou

Shows Us Your Gardens - a Photo Thread - November 2014

pixie_lou
9 years ago

Welcome to the New England Gardening "Show Us Your Gardens" Photo Thread. (Yes - this is up early. Makes up for my late posts the past few months!)

This is a place to post photos, and to discuss, what is in your New England garden. This is the thread for November 2014. All New England garden photos are welcome. Since Fall is upon us, our focus will be shifting away from flowers and we expect to see more photos of viual interest. However, all New England landscape and garden photos are welcome. If it is a photo taken in a New England garden or yard in the month of November it is fair game to post it here.

Here is the link for last years thread - November 2013

For previous 2014 threads:
October 2014

September 2014

August 2014

July 2014

June 2014 Part II

June 2014 Part I

May 2014 Part II

May 2014 Part I

April 2014

March 2014

February 2014

January 2014

Comments (24)

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

A little surprise today, the first snow! It mostly didn't stick because the ground is still warm, but a little apron surrounded the Viburnum 'Summer Snowflake' (now a V. 'Fall Snowflake'?) which still has a few blooms.

The doublefile viburnum on the right lost most of its reddish leaves in the windstorm.

This is really early for snow here, we still haven't had a frost but it may come tonight.

Claire

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

Much of the color in the woods has faded with just some of the oaks and beeches adding pops of gold and russet amongst the more wintery colors of grays, tans and dark greens.

From early November 2014

From early November 2014

From early November 2014

The gardens which I planned with the goal of all season interest still look good, though several other beds have lost most of their color by now.

From early November 2014

From early November 2014

From early November 2014

From early November 2014

The viburnums are great in the fall since they hold their red leaves quite late.
    {{gwi:282638}}From early November 2014

From early November 2014

From early November 2014

From early November 2014

Blueberry

From early November 2014

Hydrangea 'Pinky Winky' still has color

From early November 2014

Enkianthus
    {{gwi:282640}}From early November 2014

9 years ago

Nice fall woodsy color, nhbabs, and your shrubby beds are growing up beautifully - I think I remember them as promising little tykes.

The enkianthus is lovely - I've talked myself out of one (no room) several times.

Claire

• pixie_lou
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Nice snow Claire. We got flurries, but nothing stayed on the ground.

Gorgeous color nhbabs. You have done a fabulous job with winter interest.

We waited until Saturday to carve our jack-o-lantern. SO i can officially post it on the November thread.

Marigolds are still going strong

We still have some stray obedient plant blossoms

The Clematis Barnaby seed pods are becoming fluffy

And I know it's invasive, but I do love the color of oriental bittersweet this time of the year. The other side of the stream is just full of bittersweet. So I can admire it without growing it!

• homegrowninthe603
    9 years ago

NHBabs, your photos are lovely, and your gardens look beautiful!

We have not had a frost yet, but in anticipation have put most of the vegetable garden to rest for the year. Although we have preserved tomatoes in most ways imaginable, I dread having to buy one at the store when a fresh one is needed. :P

These broccoli flowers are so pretty, I think I would plant them even if they weren’t veggies. They have been blooming for weeks.
    {{gwi:1094550}}
    Some grapes still on the vines. The birds should take care of them.

Pokeweed in front of an old apple tree.

A few David Austin “Heritage” roses doing a late bloom.

Susan

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

Susan, I cleared out most of the veggie garden last weekend, but like you also left the broccoli. I also have some parsley, leeks, and redbor kale which is ruffly and really deep purple at this time of year. Quite ornamental.

I cut a few flowers to bring in as well, something I rarely do, but we had our first hard frost this past weekend, and I wanted to enjoy them.

• corunum z6 CT
    9 years ago

nhbabs and Susan - you two do New Hampshire proud! Beautiful properties and pictures. (even without a pond)
    Jane

• homegrowninthe603
    9 years ago

Pixie_Lou, I battle the bittersweet here, but as long as I have to be cutting and pulling it, I do use it to decorate my urns this time of year. I'm amazed at how many invasives I have on the property...some were here when we arrived, and others were planted before they were declared invasives! Most of them have not been a problem, but I keep after them.

nhbabs - we have brussel sprouts, cabbage, and parsley still going in our garden too. Just did our final picking of peppers. Still no frost, but it can't be far off!

Claire, thank you. The property is nice, but I probably won't post pics of the not-so-attractive areas, and we have some of those! You're right, no pond. We are well-drained here, but I still see gulls and herons sometimes, since we are not too far from the bay.

Susan

9 years ago

I'm happy to take the credit for the compliment, Susan, but Jane is the one who said it (I'll second it).

Just a few flowers left here (still no frost).

Aster 'Fanny':

Rose 'Blushing Knockout' has multiple blooms:

The rest of the roses have isolated, sporadic blooms.

Rose Zepherine Drouhin:

Rose 'Carefree Delight' has only a few blossoms:

but still has plans for the future:

Rose 'Carefree Beauty' is also down to its last flower or two:

but its hips are dominant, here with Ilex opaca 'Goldie' berries:

I have two volunteer dogwoods now showing good fall color:

I think this one is Cornus florida, tall and skinny now:

but with nice color at the base:

and this one may be Cornus cousa:

Neither of these dogwoods have flowered yet.

Claire

This post was edited by claire on Sat, Nov 8, 14 at 13:15

• homegrowninthe603
    9 years ago

Claire,

Geesh. That's the second time I've responded to you for Jane's post. I truly do know the difference. Embarassed here...no excuse.

Anyhow, thank you both and I enjoy all of your pics and insights!

Susan

• pixie_lou
    Original Author
    9 years ago

susan - those broccoli flowers are so pretty it is making me rethink planting broccoli next year. I had given up on broccoli since I'm not a fan of green worms in my veggies. But maybe I'll just plant the broccoli in the flower garden!

The blueberry bushes may be small, but they are making some beautiful color!

A maple tree stands out amongst the white pines.

Foliage reflection in the pond

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

PIxie-Lou - That last photo is Monet-esque. I really enjoy your pond photos.

• corunum z6 CT
    9 years ago

Pixie - what nhbabs said.
    POND, ooooh, babs is right - Monet would give a 2nd look. Very nice!
    Jane -- any otters?

9 years ago

pixie_lou: Got ice on the pond yet?

We finally had a freeze here and leaves are beginning to sag. I've been setting up protection for two borderline hardy shrubs.

The variegated hydrangea is marginally hardy here and doesn't manage to flower every year. Last winter it was killed to the ground - it grew back with lush foliage but no flowers this summer so I decided to protect it to see if it it helps.

I crammed it into a tomato cage and then put a tent over it. That's cardboard in birdseed bags around the perimeter. The tool shed helps block the winter winds. The tent is in place here but not yet raised.

Tent up:

The Hopi crape myrtle got draped in last winter's tent. I'll probably add more perimeter protection as it gets colder but I don't think it needs it now.

Of course it's going to warm up now for a couple of days but then drop below freezing again.

Claire

9 years ago

pixie_lou: Got ice on the pond yet?

We finally had a freeze here and leaves are beginning to sag. I've been setting up protection for two borderline hardy shrubs.

The variegated hydrangea is marginally hardy here and doesn't manage to flower every year. Last winter it was killed to the ground - it grew back with lush foliage but no flowers this summer so I decided to protect it to see if it it helps.

I crammed it into a tomato cage and then put a tent over it. That's cardboard in birdseed bags around the perimeter. The tool shed helps block the winter winds. The tent is in place here but not yet raised.

Tent up:

The Hopi crape myrtle got draped in last winter's tent. I'll probably add more perimeter protection as it gets colder but I don't think it needs it now.

Of course it's going to warm up now for a couple of days but then drop below freezing again.

Claire

• homegrowninthe603
    9 years ago

Sunlight through the Japanese Maple. Amazing color this year. It doesn't always happen. A lot of the leaves dropped in the last couple of days though.

“Golden Harvest” crabapples…hoping they will bring in the cedar waxwings like they did last December

Fog and rain yesterday…still a little color left

Susan

• pixie_lou
    Original Author
    9 years ago

First pond ice this morning

• pixie_lou
    Original Author
    9 years ago

First day of ski season. A top Mt Wachusett.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

Oh, Pixie Lou, I am not sure if I'm ready for that yet! We really haven't had snow so far. It's supposed to be up in the 50's early this coming week, which I am sure isn't popular with the ski areas right before the holiday weekend.

Here is this morning's sunrise as the color moved over the cornfield.

9 years ago

Lovely fall and premature winter photos everyone!

The leaves are finally off the winterberry and this was the view from my kitchen window this morning. The rain overnight glued together the grass plumes which had been nice and fluffy:

Claire

• pixie_lou
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Beautiful capture of the sunrise Babs.

Just a couple shots I took before the snow fell. My last flower of the season. A real late blooming brown eyed susan.

And a bunch of volunteer seedlings - I can identify the Rose Campion and the Fever Few. There are a few others mixed in as well. Should make a pretty display next summer!

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

We were in one of the harder hit areas in last week's storm, so our Thanksgiving was snowy and without power or phone at our house, but happily my inlaws' power was restored part way through the morning. We had trees down on power lines and in the road, and even one power pole broken by a tree further down the road.

From Thanksgiving 2014

Here is the way the dogwood outside the kitchen window looked at 2:30 Wednesday afternoon.

From Thanksgiving 2014

And here it is Thanksgiving morning, bent down to perhaps 4'. Happily the branches weren't much damaged when I released them, though between this storm and the one at Halloween two years ago, this tree is rather misshapen by now.
    From Thanksgiving 2014

The lilacs looked fairly similar, but had a lot of broken branches as well.
    From Thanksgiving 2014

Despite the problems caused by the weight of the snow, there were spots of beauty as well. The red maples looked like some type of unusual weeping tree
    From Thanksgiving 2014

and the sunlight creeping onto the trees along the riverbank was lovely.
    From Thanksgiving 2014

9 years ago

pixie_lou: The seedlings picture looks like a tapestry.

Lovely mid-winter pictures, nhbabs! but they were taken at Thanksgiving.....

Claire

• corunum z6 CT
    9 years ago

nhbabs - another year of landscape calendar pictures. Really, you have spectacular vistas across that field for each season. Beautiful pictures, but very sorry about the power.

Jane