Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Annuals Still Thriving

Posted by rockman50 6b SEMASS (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 17, 11 at 16:37

I was looking at my annuals yesterday and noticed that they are looking better than ever. They actually looked a bit ragged in late summer/very early fall, particularly after Irene. But the mild humid conditions in October, coupled with the complete absence of anything close to a frost so far has really allowed them to thrive. I moved the impatients that were potted into full October sun, and they seem to really like that. My annuals have been growing now for almost 6 months since I planted them in early May. Half a year? It feels like we have had a very very long growing season. I hope these mild conditions continue into November. It might be nice to keep those annuals blooming nicely into the dreary dark days of November that lay ahead.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Annuals Still Thriving

Yes, it's been a banner year for annuals. For me, the highlights are the tender sages I splurged on last spring - they're ridiculously happy. Wendy's Wish, a dark, dusky red, is really beautiful, and Coral Nymph is starting to look like it might become a pest - seedlings are popping up and blooming in the brick patio. Self-sown sweet alyssum is on its second generation, and Verbena bonariensis is going strong.

There are also surprise perennial come-backs, like balloon flower and lavender, which I thought were finished weeks ago, but the annuals are really stealing the show at this point.

o

Most of my annuals are still beautiful too. Cleome, Alyssum, Verbena bonariensis, Melampodium, and Zinnias all looking good. The Tithonia is over 8 feet tall, but getting a little ragged. Cosmos has mostly gone by. California poppy foliage looks good, but there are few blooms.

The Salvia is the highlight. A mix of Salvia 'Yvonnes', 'Coral Nymph' and 'Lady in Red'. Red, pink and white, one of my favorite color combos.

o

My marigolds are surviving in some areas and not in others(I pulled some out today), dahlias are doing well and also the new guinea impatients are looking good as ever!

o

Nice thread. I have some neglected nasturtiums in hanging baskets that don't look too bad. The whiskey barrel looks pretty good. But I've been looking at two perennial beds that are done, wishing I had some annuals for some color along the edges that are visible from the house. I'm thinking zinnias or marigolds for next year. Just want something low.

o

I don't do a lot of annuals--just a few in containers each year--but they're all still blooming non-stop. I always have New Guinea impatiens in a large container at the northeast corner of the house with blue lobelia tucked around them. They couldn't be happier with all the rain we've had. The ageratum & million bells/calibrachoa weren't nearly as happy this year so I'm guessing they like it hot and dry. I'm hoping to add more annuals next year once my winter sown perennials are established. Yvonne's salvia is finally blooming and looking so pretty!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here