Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
transplant of rhododendron

Posted by jas0501 none (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 19, 13 at 17:40

I just transplanted a small rhododendron. I live in Massachusetts. I appreciate it may be a bit late in the season but it couldn't be avoided.

Question: Is it better to trim some branches and remove a portion of the leaves to not tax the root system, or leave all foliage to help boost root system recovery?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: transplant of rhododendron

I think the current thinking is to leave it intact; just don't let it get too dry before the really cold weather sets in.

o

Fall is OK to move a rhododendron. As DTD says, don't let it dry out before the ground freezes. I'd also recommend a light mulch of leaves after the ground freezes, and better yet, maybe a burlap (or similar) "screen" all around it (but NOT touching the leaves) to protect from winter wind, which is the main thing that would damage it by drying out the leaves because they can't pull water from frozen soil.

Photobucket

o

Water well (once a week deeply) right through the end November.
Then mulch with a light mulch, such as pine needles partly composted leaf mold. Not maple, they mat.
Excuse me, but I have developed a phobia about planting trees and shrubs too deep. Your rhodie should almost be sitting on top of the soil. That's a bit of an exaggeration, but it should be planted shallow. No soil up around the trunk at all.
You might want to check that.

o

All good advice. I too have been planting small rhodies and azaleas and am keeping my fingers crossed.

I am planting them high - maybe 2-3" higher than the ground. I fill around them with soil and make sure they don't lose that soil over time.

I suggest that you keep a watchful eye on the plant for the next year. I've had a couple of newer (spring) plantings of big leaf rhodies fall over in rain or snow storms. They have very shallow roots systems and I guess until they are well established pressure on those big leaves can pull them over. Luckily I noticed it quickly, planted them back in the ground, and put a stone on top to keep them upright. They may have been a little worse for wear the first year but seem fine the second year.

Good luck and keep us posted.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here