Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Uninvited Guest (or three or four)

Posted by silvergirl426 z5 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 27, 10 at 19:18

I had some uninvited guests this year via the compost. I can't say that come October this one was unwelcome. I'd never planted pumpkins before! (not enough room) Especially among the fairy roses. But I let this one do its thing all summer, getting bigger and more outsize in the front slope bed. And then when it was big and orange I picked it. Happy (surprise) Halloween!
lucia

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Uninvited Guest (or three or four)

• Posted by claire z6b Coastal MA (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 27, 10 at 20:59

What a lovely gift from the compost! It looks like it belongs there (I like orange and pink).

Are you going to try to repeat it next year? Maybe one of the little white ones....

Claire

o

How pretty! A perfect pumpkin in the perfect spot. What a nice Halloween surprise!

Two years ago I composted a bunch of gourds from a display at work. My new lasagna bed became a big punkin patch, lol. I let everything go just to see what would happen. I had so many gourds! I actually brought them in to make a display at work - what goes around...

Anyway, after that I decided not to compost any more gourds, lol. It was fun, but it took up way too much room. I still do compost my pumpkins, but there are fewer of them than the gourd display, and I try to pull them out in spring if they sprout. If I could be guaranteed a beautiful pumpkin like you got I might just leave one or two to grow....

:)
Dee

o

What a perfect pumpkin you grew! I'm with Claire; I love orange and pink in combination.

I haven't grown pumpkins since we gave up growing a vegetable garden about 20 years ago, but I'm digging a small patch to plant corn, a hill of pumpkins, sunflowers and a short row of carrots for the old pony next summer. (After driving from farm stand to farm stand in search of corn stalks to decorate our front porch, I resolved to grow my own next year!) Anyways I plan to save seeds from my halloween pumpkins when they start to disintegrate, or after halloween, whichever comes first.

Thanks for posting the photo. It's inspiring me to go back outdoors and resume digging!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here