Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Earthquake!

Posted by ginny12 z5 MA (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 16, 12 at 19:57

Did you feel that? It was quite a good shake.

Earthquakes are not a subject I ever thought I'd be posting here. We've lived in this house 35 years and there have been a few small quakes but almost unnoticeable. This one was the strongest by far. My house got a good shake tho no damage.

I was watching NECN when it happened and thought, that has got to be an earthquake, and they came on within a few minutes to confirm. Hope that's the end of it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Earthquake!

I didn't feel it, but I heard that some people around here did.

According to NBC, it was a shallow, 4.6 magnitude quake, centered about three miles west of Hollis Center, Maine (about 20 miles west of Portland) at 7:16 PM.

Here is a link that might be useful: quake at nbc news site

o

• Posted by claire z6b Coastal MA (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 16, 12 at 21:10

I felt it here in Plymouth - like something heavy jumped on and off the roof for a few seconds. It wasn't very strong. I didn't connect it with an earthquake until I got an email "Breaking News Alert" from Boston.com.

Claire

o

We definitely felt it here. It was very noticeable shaking that was building and getting stronger for about 20 seconds and then stopped. We didn't know what happened and considered a few options, that didn't make sense and quickly decided the only explanation was an earthquake. We called the local police to ask if they had shaking and they said yes, it was an earthquake. Turned on the TV and within minutes of it happening it was already on the news. Have lived in Massachusetts all my life and never felt anything like that.

I don't think we have damage, but the bathroom fan is suddenly not working this morning. I'm going to keep my eye on things today and keep checking to make sure there are no leaking pipes or cracks anywhere.

o

I heard about it after the fact, but didn't feel it. I'm always surprised to hear about earthquakes in these parts, but I'm beginning to think maybe they are not all that odd. The one yesterday, the big one from VA up to New England awhile back, and one that I DID feel back in the 1980's. Now granted, that last one was longer ago than I'd care to admit, lol, but still, I wonder if we are more prone to them than we thought. And wasn't there one that knocked the face off the Man in the Mountain some time back?

Dee

o

I don't think an earthquake caused the Old Man to fall -- although I don't doubt it caused one when it went!

o

Eh, you're right and I was wrong. A little research shows me that it was water damage - thawing and refreezing cycles - that did the Old Man in. Sad. The mountain just doesn't look the same without him.

Dee

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here