Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pixie_lou

Show us Your Gardens - A photo thread - October 2014

pixie_lou
9 years ago

Welcome to the New England Gardening "Show Us Your Gardens" Photo Thread.

This is a place to post photos, and to discuss, what is in your New England garden. This is the thread for October 2014. All New England garden photos are welcome. Since Fall is upon us, our focus will be shifting away from flowers and we expect to see more photos of viual interest. However, all New England landscape and garden photos are welcome. If it is a photo taken in a New England garden or yard in the month of October it is fair game to post it here.

Last year October we were busy photographers. Here are the links for the October 2013 Part 1 and October 2013 Part 2 threads.

For previous 2014 threads:

September 2014 thread

August 2014

July 2014

June 2014 Part II

June 2014 Part I

May 2014 Part II

May 2014 Part I

April 2014

March 2014

February 2014

January 2014

For all other 2013 threads, please go to the December 2013 thread and follow the links for the relevant month.

For all of the 2011 and 2012 threads - gardenweb will no longer transfer threads. Be patient with me - I will make a direcotry and post it in the photo gallery .

This post was edited by pixie_lou on Sat, Oct 11, 14 at 8:02

Comments (19)

• pixie_lou
    Original Author
    9 years ago

One branch of the red maple tree is showing beautiful color.

• pixie_lou
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A reblooming irs has decided to rebloom. I can't find the tag (with all those weeds it's no wonder!) so unsure of the variety. I bought the rhizomes from Brecks, but this doesn't look like any of the irises in the Brecks reblooming iris collection.

• Steve Massachusetts
    9 years ago

A few pics after the rain we had on Thursday.

Sugar Maple

Some of the Hosta are beginning senescence.

Coleus

Redblood Japanese Maple

Hydrangea Twist and Shout continues to bloom its head off.

The late blooming Hosta still look good. This is Marilyn Monroe.

The Brug has continued to go to town with more and more flowers and fragrance each day. No frost yet.

More rain today after an inch on Thursday. Love it.

Steve

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    9 years ago

Not much in the way of fall foliage here and most of my hostas (hosta?) have slug holes in the leaves.

The Miscanthus are dominant in my yard. They're everywhere and I'm seeing seedlings as well.

M. 'Malepartus'

This is what I walk through as I leave the porch.

Hardy begonia (B. grandis 'Heron's Pirouhette') is still blooming although past peak.

It's near the cotoneaster patch and the berries continue to be decorative. They don't seem to be tasty - maybe they'll be eaten later on when the birds and critters are less fussy.

This cotoneaster branch is next to the big Blue Angel and a Guardian Angel hosta. The slugs seem to have missed them.

This Pieris 'Little Heath' is covered with flower buds - there should be a good show in the Spring (Spring will come sooner than last year, won't it?).

You can see the winterberry behind it if you squint.

And the Carefree Beauty rose is still sporadically blooming. There are many hips but they aren't orange yet so I didn't photograph them.

Claire

• DocFairview
    9 years ago

This is not a pretty picture but it shows what we're up to and how much work we have ahead of us. This slope is in our side yard. It's almost completely covered in flowering raspberry, though there are lots of ferns further down and some lilies that didn't bloom this year. Yesterday we decided to cut down a bunch of the raspberry bushes and see what the terrace looks like underneath. We knew about the lower stone wall but had never seen the upper one before.

The raspberry is so aggressive that it is growing through the stone walls and destabilizing them in places. At the end of the cleared section, right before the raspberry starts up again, is a stone staircase. There's another stone staircase further down that will need to be rebuilt, as part of it washed away at some point.

The cleared section pictured is maybe 1/10 of the total terrace. Our plan is to reclaim the terrace a section at a time over the course of however many years it takes. We're going to clear a bit more to the left of the pictured section, and then over the winter we'll research and plot and make a plan for how to plant this in the spring.

• homegrowninthe603
    9 years ago

Octoberâ¦
    "Iris Domestica" - on the left are the August blooms and on the right are the October seed pods, hence the common name âÂÂBlackberry LilyâÂÂ

Hyacinth Bean Vine âÂÂMoonshadowâ revisited (now that the beautiful purple pods have grown)

Swiss chard âÂÂBright Lightsâ still going. As pretty as it is tasty.

Some of the harvest from my pumpkin patch

Susan

9 years ago

DocFairview: You certainly have a lot of work ahead of you but those two stone walls will be a blessing once you can choose what's growing in that area.

Susan: Your garden is very colorful now! That Swiss chard is blinding. I'm imagining it popping out of an early snowfall.

Everything is more subdued here. My big old Osmanthus heterophyllus is blooming! The flowers are small and inconspicuous but the whole fifteen foot shrub/tree is covered with them. I keep trying but I can't get a decent picture of the whole thing.

It's next to the big old winterberry and for a short while the berries and flowers complement each other. The osmanthus flowers never last until the winterberry leaves are gone - that would be more dramatic.

The faded hydrangea flowers have their own charm (in a subdued fashion).

Climbing hydrangea with rich brown flowers

And Hydrangea 'Blue Billow' with reddish flowers. The leaves haven't turned maroon yet.

Viburnum 'Summer Snowflake' still has a few flowers, but no berries since there's no viburnum still blooming to pollinate them. I'm wondering if I should try to freeze a few doublefile viburnum flowers for the pollen.

Claire

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

Fall color on our property and the next farm south.
    {{gwi:442755}}From September 28, 2014

From September 28, 2014

From September 28, 2014

{{gwi:442758}}From September 28, 2014

A wetland I pass on my commute.
    {{gwi:442765}}From September 28, 2014

• squirejohn zone4 VT
    9 years ago

The colors were great this year and lasted longer than usual.

• nekobus
    9 years ago

I don't have a lot of newly-blooming plants in the garden, but stuff continues to flower. No frost yet here!

Anemone tomentosa "Robustissima":

My other Japanese anemone shows now signs of flowering, although the leaves look healthy.

I've been getting some nice morning glory blooms, finally:

The New England aster is still going. I've noticed for a while now that if I look at it in the morning, the bees are stumbling around on it, seeming dazed:

Geranium "Rozanne" still going strong. This one seems to have decided it wants to be a wisteria -- it's clambered five feet up a trellis to bloom by the Sweet Autumn clematis:

Marigolds are doing great. It's nice to have such a vivid color in the garden this time of year:

• arbo_retum
    9 years ago

well, if that isn't the coolest thing about Rozanne, i don't know what is!!
    mindy

9 years ago

Not much in the way of fall color here on the SE MA coast. I do have blooms on the very late Aster oblongifolius (AKA Symphyotrichum oblongifolium) 'Fanny'.

It's not as good a display as I've had in other years, but I like it with the aged Sedum 'Matrona'.

I didn't grow these pumpkins and gourds myself but I plopped them down for a little Autumn color.

Here with sedums:

And here on the retaining wall:

I made a video of the cotoneaster patch along the stone retaining wall by the house, trying to give a feeling for the mass of berries.
    Cotoneaster Patch

Claire

This post was edited by claire on Tue, Oct 28, 14 at 17:43

• pixie_lou
    Original Author
    9 years ago

When I bought these mums, the blossoms were white. But then they turned pink. Luckily the pink matches the pots!

These mums were given to me years ago. They bloomed pinky/purply in my friends garden. They bloom white in my garden. They are a real late bloomer - they didnt bloom until last week.

The reblooming iris is still going strong

I swiped a few gaillardia seed heads near Uncle Toms Bridge in Wellfleet 3 years ago. My garden is full of these blossoms now. I've had blooms since July!

Volunteer Cosmos. I do help spread the seeds!

I've never had a volunteer zinnia before. But this year I got one.

• nekobus
    9 years ago

Pixie, it's amazing to see those iris blooms in October!

Still no hard frost here, and a bunch of the morning glories I started in April are finally blooming:

Echinacea seed heads:

A couple phlox are still going:

Snaps:

New bloom on the hydrangea:

And some allium seed heads:

9 years ago

I agree that pixie_lou's iris is astonishing!

My Blushing Knockout rose, as usual, is happily blooming as the weather cools down - here with red-orange sumac in the background.

And the Carefree Beauty rose hips are turning orange while a few pink blooms are still opening.

That's Ilex opaca 'Goldie' on the left - its berries are beginning to turn yellow, but are not quite there yet.

Claire

• pixie_lou
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The front door decorated for the trick or treaters tonight. Since I It is a Friday, I'm expecting about 300 kids.

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    9 years ago

Beautiful photos as always, everyone!

This has been such a great fall for color!

{{gwi:464598}}

9 years ago

Lovely warm colors, T2D!

pixie_lou: Did you really get 300 kids last night on Halloween?

We had three kids, plus one costumed dog (I was expecting between 2 and 6 but I bought enough candy for at least 30 just in case - my favorite kinds of candy of course).

Not much fall color here but lots of grass plumes.

A little light glowing from the pumpkin head:

Claire

• pixie_lou
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Claire. Love the pumpkin attacking the lawn dragon!

Normally we get close to 200 trick or treaters. But this year, being a Friday, I planned for more. I ended up closing my doors and turning off the lights around 8:30 - when DD and her friends got home. I had 7 treats left. So, yes, I got around 300 trick or treaters. (I give out the good stuff, so it cost me around $100 for treats this year).