Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do you consider motherwort a weed?

Posted by pixie_lou 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 11, 11 at 20:23

About 4 years ago, I took 4 motherwort plants from my godmothers house. 3 survived transplanting and have developed into nice sized plants. But when I was out weeding today, in the vicinity of those plants, I must have found 50 volunteer plants. I've never seen volunteers before, and these were no more than a few inches high. Which made me start wondering - with this many volunteers, do people consider this plant a weed?

Personally I love the plant. It has such a great shape - I really love the architecture of the plant. It does well in my crappy soil and in my shady yard. But as much as I love it - I really don't want it scattered all across my garden. I guess I'm wondering how agressive I need to be with pulling volunteers.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do you consider motherwort a weed?

"A weed is a plant that is growing in the wrong place." - Jim Crocket

Steve

o

I am on the fence about it. It does seed itself where it can, but I don't find it to be too bad. I let them grow here and there in the less formal areas of the yard. They have great medicinal uses, apparently.

o

I'm not even sure I'd know a motherwort if I saw one. The images on google are very variable. What does yours look like?

o

diggingthedirt - these are some pictures I took in late June/early July. Do these help?

The plant (at least mine) get about 3-4' tall. The stems are "square", the blossoms are right on the stems, at the leaf node. I had blossoms through early September. (And I do recall a thread on the "Name That Plant" Forum, where some one thought there neighbor was growing marijuana - thinking motherwort had marijuana shaped leaves.)

Motherwort 2

Motherwort

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here