Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arbo_retum

Increase in Ticks?

arbo_retum
9 years ago

What IS it w/ ticks this year? We've been here almost 30 yrs and , until this summer,i never saw any here in the gardens. But this year, i've encountered maybe 6, 3 in the last week. Black, not teeny deer ticks. Have you seen an increase?
mindy

Comments (3)

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

We haven't had a lot of ticks this fall (knock on wood) but this year has been bad in general.

When we first came here they were bad (PO had bassett hounds and has left lots of brushy stuff) but as we mowed things back and didn't have dogs, there were fewer for a while. Recently we've seen an uptick in the regular wood ticks, but we are also starting to see deer ticks.

Rodents are definitely part of the issue (we no longer have a cat), but deep snow several of the last 5 winters is also part of the problem as the ticks under the snow where it's humid don't dehydrate and die as they do in a snowless winter.

It just means I have to check myself and clothes when I come inside after being in the garden and then again before bedtime. A large mirror is helpful and I use touch as well as sight.

• diggingthedirt
    9 years ago

I still swear by Tick Tubes - I used them a few years ago when we suddenly were swamped with ticks. Haven't had to do that again, but if I start seeing ticks, I'll be heading to Mahoney's for more.

We have a dog, and she's treated with Frontline, which makes a big difference, I think.

• violetwest
    9 years ago

a tick uptick?

(DamYouMostRecentPosts)