Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Amazingly Productive and Tiring Day

Posted by idabean 5A (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 7, 13 at 21:12

Today I stayed home from work to supervise two garden helper in a mammouth re-location project. We started at 7, which is not my favorite time to be up, dressed and ready to work
Plantsthat haven't done well for years and I didn't like were thrown out: grasses, siberian iris, .
My beloved 20 year old daphne got tossed. It was dying section by section and I couldn't stand to watch its lingering death.
Plants in wrong places: rhus Low Grow (get very wide and sprawly), fothergilla (too shady and dry), viburnum "Snowflake" too dry but I have a feeling it may not be all it's cracked up to be.
calycanthus (out grew its spot by yards)
hibiscus Blue Satin , Viburnum Brandywine, cornus sibirca : all too shady and dry, 3 hicks yews
Never planted or replanted: hydrangea Light O Day: sat in a tub all summer. Loooked pretty good for an orphan. I bet it never flowers, but the foliage is quite nice
Moved a huge plain green hosta: too many in my hosta corner
Of course, all of you get that these weren't just dug up: I had to make decisions about where to put them. I don't know how often I stood there,speechless with indecision, with these two hardworking young men watching me.
If I started walking around looking for the right spot, they often thought I had made up my mind and followed me like puppies. They looked perplexed when I turned around and went in another direction.
When they weren't perplexed, were laughing good naturedly at me when I asked them to dig the 30th hole. I'm sure they thought I was absolutely nuts to move plants around like checkers.

I was so glad I had a dentist's appointment at 2 so I could send them away. I couldn't walk another step. It is really hard to keep two 25 year olds productively busy, planning the next step, then catching up with them.
Did I mention watching every planting to make sure the plant wasn't too deep.?

So that was my very good day.
idabean

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Amazingly Productive and Tiring Day

It must have given you a great feeling of accomplishment! As you may know from my posts, the past few years my whole property has undergone a complete makeover. I think what you did yesterday will not only give your garden a new look, but it will be the spark that will inspire you to keep your garden interesting. I think you'll enjoy it a lot!

Photobucket

o

Sounds like a great day! Way to go! Hope the dentist visit was not too bad ..LOLing at the fact you were glad for the dentist appt!

o

Thanks!
The dentist app.was nothing! Two weeks ago I had an infected tooth and had to have it pulled. No trips to the garden that week.
Continuing: get soaker hoses rearranged to cover new plantings. That is one tedious pia job.

o

But you LOVE gardening.............PIA or not..........like the rest of us! LOL!

Photobucket

o

I laughed at your description of walking from one spot to another --- with the helpers following like lost puppies --- as you made up your mind about where things should go. I've done this exact same thing while "rearranging" my gardens! (A plot plan is helpful, but I never use them.) I think it's important for the garden to "feel" right as well as look good, so the placement of plants and their relationship to each other is crucial. Other gardeners realize how very important these decisions are!

Post some before/after photos next spring --- if you have any of before The Big Move?

Molie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here