Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Big Dig or Have Shovel-Will Travel))

Posted by ego45 6bCT (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 1, 12 at 23:03

My perennial and hosta collections desperately need a dividing and if you will be able to come to my garden on Sunday 10/7/12 between 10 and noon, you'll be able to either divide or take the whole mature clumps of almost everything in a garden. Bring your own showels....and sharpen them!) 1-2-3G pots will be provided.
Beside perennials there is a lot of (40-50?) hydrangeas (mac, serrata and paniculata) of different ages (1 to 3 y.o.) grown from seeds and already survived 1 winter in the ground.
Plus peony (3-4 clumps).
Plus actinidia kolomikta (hardy kiwi) and some other things I can't think of the names right now.
In another words I'm proposing a "Big Dig" as Marty christened it)

George.

P.S. The only things I may need would be some red monarda and rudbeckia (any kind, the gaudier the better) for my son's garden since I don't have any of them to spare.

Send me email: lotkinct-(at)-optonline.net for directions and phone #.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Big Dig or Have Shovel-Will Travel))

Hostas do not "need" to be divided. The only reason for dividing is that they have been planted in a spot that doesn't allow them to reach their full size, or because you need more plants. However, Hosta do not typically develop the donut holes that other perennials do. They have been known to grow in the same spot for 20 years or more.

Steve

o

Hi Ego - so good to see you on the forum. I probably won't be able to make the trip, but I wanted to send my best wishes, and to say that I hope you're well, and still gardening (somewhere?). We certainly miss you!

Steve, Ego has, or had, quite a fantastic garden, which he built from nothing. He left the forum before you arrived, I think. I doubt that anyone here could tell him anything new about hostas, hydrangeas, or ... much of anything else. Not that I think he would be taking offense, he's not that kind of gardener - just wanted to let you know that when he said 'desperately need a dividing' he was probably just couching his generosity in more subtle language.

o

".....he was probably just couching his generosity in more subtle language."

Nan, ;-)))

o

George - I missed seeing you at the swap and I'm so sorry that I won't be able to make it to "The Big Dig" as I will be out of town. I hope you come to the Spring swap!
Hugs!
Deb

o

Hi George,

I sent an email re: your address. Hope to see you.

Hedy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here