Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Saving begonia tubers

Posted by started_with_bean Zone 5--MA (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 1, 09 at 23:09

I've stopped watering my 2 tuber begonias. Question is, should I cut them down, and then let them die back on their own before digging out of the pot? Am I too late, since it's gonna get cold tonight? Or do I just let nature take its course? Wait until just before hard frost to dig out?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Saving begonia tubers

I've always just let the first frost take the top growth back, cut it off clean above the soil line, bring the pots into the garage and let them dry out. I had better success just storing the pots in the basement rather than digging the tubers out. I occasionally give the dormant pots a dribble of water about once a month in the winter to keep them from getting totally dessicated. They normally begin sprouting, in the dark no less, in mid March, I bring them out under lights and resume watering, being careful not to over water them.

Deanne

o

Thanks! I like the idea of just leaving them in the pot; saves a lot of hassle and worry.

o

bean starter,
I agree that leaving them in the pot can be a simple successful way of wintering them over. I thought however I should mention that not everyones basement or garage is the same. My basement for example has an oil burner that tends to keep it rather warm (high 60s) and damp, I have repeatedly been unsuccessful over wintering tubers as they want cool (50s), dry, and dark. Cloud9 made a suggestion about using a picnic cooler for winter storage which I am going to try on the steps of my bulkhead area. I would suggest that you be open to experimenting and fingers crossed youll meet your tubers requirements this winter. Katy

o

Yes indeed, my basement storage area stays under 50 degrees. I use this area to store all my dormant fuchsias, brugmansias, banana, dahlia tubers, colocasia, lantana, etc. etc....

Deanne

o

Deanne I too can vouch for the save in the pot method and store in cool basement.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here