Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
No Frost Yet--for one location anyway

Posted by rockman50 6b SEMASS (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 26, 09 at 0:01

Interesting factoid. The city of Boston has not yet recorded a temperature of 32 degrees or lower this fall. The record for the latest ever first occurrence of 32 degrees for Boston is December 2, 1975. This record could be broken this year.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: No Frost Yet--for one location anyway

As far as I remember we have had one frost in my area of CT, just north west of New Haven. The gerbera daisies are still growing but not flowering as much.

o

I have zone envy of anyone who hasn't had a frost yet. Where I live west of Boston, our first frost was on October 15th, and we've had a few.

You won't hear one word of complaint from me though - we've had fabulous weather in November. Great for outdoors work. I've done tons of planting and transplanting, some landscaping, washed a lot of windows, and even a little painting! Along with the usual fall chores, like raking, cleaning the gutters, etc.

o

We've been spared, down here on the Cape; just some very light frosts a few weeks ago, that iced the lawn a bit but only effected the tenderest things, like Datura and basil.

This is the first year I can remember having all the tender salvias still blooming at Thanksgiving - very nice.

Terrene, didn't you have a bad case of tendonitis, or carpal tunnel syndrome? If I had that I wouldn't wash my windows for at least a couple of years.

o

ok, I spoke too soon. It's 34 out there right now so I am sure we had one last night!

o

DTD, thanks for asking...yes I had bad tendonitis that flared up in April. I couldn't dig in the dirt for about 5 months and was miserable. However, with treatment and rest, it slowly got better. I was able to dig with the big shovel a little by September. Now I'm much more careful to use wraps if necessary and pace myself (i.e., washed about 10 windows over 3 days).

o

It is Dec 2 now and Boston has still not hit 32 degrees this fall/winter. So the record for the latest ever first occurrence of 32 degrees in fall/winter will be broken as it will be warm and rainy for another day or so.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here