Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
idabean2

Let's Post Pictures!

Marie Tulin
13 years ago

Who has taken garden pictures during the '10 gardening season? This includes January to present.

Please take a few minutes to download and post; there are a lot of us who'd love to see what happened.

No drought apologies needed. We all had crispy critters this summer.

Marie

Comments (16)

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I actually did take some pictures this year. Most of the summer I spent inside sulking from the heat.

{{gwi:347379}}

Siberian iris "Shall We Dance", and rose "Oelleit Flammand". John Cabot is in the background.

Peony "Festiva Maxima", dwarf siberian "Baby Sister", and some assorted perennial things.

{{gwi:211868}}

The 'Pseudo-Azaleas'. Since anything ericacious takes one look at my limy soil and runs, other things have to take their place. These are very early once blooming roses.

{{gwi:211866}}

The other end of the previous bed. This is "Karl Forster", the rose. Not to be confused with "Karl Forster", the grass.

{{gwi:278564}}

Frontenac, the pink rose, and Quadra, the red rose. This is what people see when they get around the house corner on the way to the backyard. I don't know how many times I've walked right into somebody as they stop - dead - when they see this.

• pixie_lou
    13 years ago

If someone can point me to some directions on how to post pictures, I'd be happy to post some. In techno-idiot terms. I've been taking pictures on my yard weekly. And I would love to post some.

~pixie

• diggingthedirt
    13 years ago

I think there's a FAQ on that, otherwise I know we've talked about it on a regular basis, so you should be able to find several threads on the subject if you search the NE forum. I use Picasa web. a free google service, and other people have similar favorites, like PhotoBucket.

Here is a link that might be useful: Google's Picasa web

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    13 years ago

Nice roses, mad_gallica.

pixie: For an overview on posting photos, take a look at the FAQ.

You can either use a web hosting site (there are many, such as Photobucket, Picasa and Picture Trail) or you can use TinyPic.com,

The advantage of the hosting site is that you can set up a page with many photos on it and organize them by topic. A great example is sedum37's site on Picture Trail (see the Flora in Winter thread).

The disadvantage of the hosting site is that you have to set up an account.

The advantage of TinyPic.com is that it's very easy to upload one photo and link to it, and you don't have to set up an account.

The disadvantage of TinyPic.com is that you can only upload one photo at a time, which is not useful if you want to show many photos.

------------------------------------------------------

That said, I use TinyPic.com myself.

You don't have to set up an account at a hosting site if you use TinyPic.com.

1. The photo files on your computer must be in a format such as jpeg or jpg.

2. Using Tiny Pic, you hit the "Choose File" button and it searches your computer desktop.

3. Choose one then select a size ("Resize" button), and then UPLOAD NOW.

4. When the file is uploaded, copy the HTML tag, not the IMG tag.

5. Paste the HTML tag in your post.

This is the easiest way I know.

Claire

13 years ago

DTD posted while I was preparing my directions.

I took a quick look at my recent photos and most of them have birds standing in front of the view. I got a new computer and my files are not as well organized as usual - I'll rummage around and see if I have something without birds worth posting.

Claire

13 years ago

I seem to have lost my spring photos in the move to the new computer - I did find these:

View from my kitchen window on July 16, 2010

Closeup from that view of Phlox David in front of Miscanthus Cabaret:

Lilium Casa Blanca (July 20, 2010)- you can see some beetle holes in the foliage, but these lilies were not sprayed at all.

Hemerocallis Franz Hals (sp?) with phlox maculata (August 20, 2010), getting overwhelmed by the old forsythia I renovated:

Mad_Gallica: What are those tree trunks in your photo? The barkless carefully pruned tree trunks. I also like those Siberian irises.

Claire

13 years ago

Those are red cedar posts that are eventually going to be support for a trellis. At the rate I'm going, though, they will probably rot out before I get it done.

• spedigrees z4VT
    13 years ago

mad_gallica I love your roses and siberian iris! I wish I could grow roses here but it's a bit too cold for them to be hardy here. I have siberian iris though and love them.

pixie, most paid email accounts also include free ftp space for storing photos, which might be an easier alternative to the free sites. For example I posted my photos below that are stored on my sovernet (Southern Vermont) email account's server. I hope this helps. Once you get your photos stored on a server, just type this code into your post.

{{gwi:1095837}}

{{gwi:150987}}

{{gwi:150988}}

{{gwi:1095840}}

The pictures above are from this past summer. For some reason the only garden photos I took this year were of my perennial beds out back.

The first two show my siberian iris and the second one also shows my red lupine (wish my purple lupine would thrive as well as the red, even though I prefer the red. Maybe that's it; they sense the favoritism and bloom accordingly!)

The second pic also has my three newly planted rhubarb plants in a row in the foreground. I'm hoping for a good harvest next summer!

The 3rd photo shows purple bee balm just below and slightly to the right of the lantern in the foreground. The rest of the reds and purples are phlox and the orange, daylilies. Also some wild black eyed Susies in the far bed in the distance.

As an afterthought here's a better shot of the bee balm with daylily behind it. I think the photo above this last one shows the bee balm in a 'mostly gone by' condition. This shows it in its full glory! (It was an accidental freebee that rode home in a pot of phlox. It was a single stem back then, but it has prospered!)

{{gwi:1095842}}

13 years ago

Nice description spedigrees.

pixie: Before you get too discouraged, you usually don't have to actually type all that code yourself. Wherever your photos are stored, there's usually an "html code" tag that you can just copy and paste in your post. Just don't copy the "img code" tag, even if it seems logical. It won't work.

Claire

13 years ago

Spedigrees, I'd be very surprised if you are too cold for the roses in those pictures. Most of them are real zone 4 roses, and Explorers are usually not released if they can't handle zone 3.

• littleonefb
    13 years ago

My 10 year old digital camera doesn't take wide pics so I only have close ups of various plants.

For those interested, these pics are blooms of seeds Wintersown during 2009-2010, both winter and spring. Just a sample of the more than 100 WS seedlings that where grown, planted and bloomed.

Fran

columbine origami blue and white, yes it is the only columbine that blooms the first year

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c210/littleonefb/2010%20gardens/S3600048.jpg

Columbine origami burgundy and white

monkey flower, yellow
    {{gwi:422862}}

Poppy Yellow Dicranostigma Papaveraceae franchetianum
    {{gwi:422872}}
    {{gwi:422871}}

balsam impatiens dark pink
    {{gwi:422863}}

chinese forget me nots, one of about 20 clumps
    {{gwi:423279}}

dahlia fireworks pink stripe
    {{gwi:422883}}
    {{gwi:423276}}

nasturtium peaches n cream with true nikko blue hydrangea in background
    {{gwi:422868}}

zinnia zowie yellow flame

dahlia stargazer pale yellow
    {{gwi:435986}}
    {{gwi:435988}}

scabiosa dark red with malva zebrina
    {{gwi:422858}}

scabiosa dark red
    {{gwi:435947}}

malva zebrina
    {{gwi:423272}}

{{gwi:435953}}

marigold disco flame, on of about 40 clumps growing
    {{gwi:435959}}

torenia blue and white
    {{gwi:435970}}

torenia pink and white
    {{gwi:435968}}

torenia purple and white
    {{gwi:435972}}

dahlia fireworks solid yellow
    {{gwi:435982}}

dahlia colorrette dandy
    {{gwi:435996}}
    {{gwi:435998}}

dahlia fireworks pink and yellow
    {{gwi:423270}}{{gwi:423269}}

dahlia colorrette dandy
    {{gwi:423263}}

cosmos sunset
    {{gwi:435992}}

cosmos diablo
    {{gwi:423288}}

morning glory blue silk

morning glory rose silk

morning glory mt fuji light pink
    http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c210/littleonefb/2010%20blooming%20MG%20we%20have/S3600026-2.jpg

morning glory mt fuji light blue

morning glory mt fuji fushia

morning glory chocolate silk

morning glory suigetsu

morning glory flying saucer

• WendyB 5A/MA
    13 years ago

thought I would try out tinypic.com Thanks for the tip. here's a cute little native perennial Bowman's Root I picked up last year.

they have the picture set up as a link back to the site. I would be editing that to trim it down to the img src tag only. But other than that, this looks like a quick way to post a single pic here and there. I can keep my picasaweb albums dedicated for categorized albums rather than solo uploads for conversation. I am always afraid to delete or reorganize web hosted albums because it can break links of photos posted in conversations.

I wonder if they run into server problems/glitches that some web-hosting sites are known for. And I wonder how long the photos stay up. I'll have to go read up more.

13 years ago

Wow, Fran, that's a great testimonial to the power of wintersowing!

wendyb: I'll have to look into that Bowman's Root to see if it would be happy here.

I've been using Tiny Pic for a few years now and I just checked back to a post with a pic from May 2008. It's still there so the photos seem to be reasonably permanent. Tiny Pic is run by Photobucket and I haven't seen problems myself except for partial loading sometimes that is likely related to my connection speed, not the web-hosting site.

Claire

• spedigrees z4VT
    13 years ago

I'm not surprised, mad_gallica, that visitors to your home stop dead in their tracks when they come upon your red and bright pink rose bushes! They are drop dead gorgeous!

I'm zone 4 but at a high elevation, and I know my neighbor has to cover her rose bushes in winter... except for one that is planted next to her house where it picks up some extra heat. I'm a little afraid of root systems of anything bigger than a daylily planted right next to my house foundation and the drainage culverts buried around it.

The only roses I've had luck with are the tiny micro-mini roses that flourish for about 3 years in my gardens with no shelter in winter. They die out after that and I'm thinking they are biennial or triennial (if those are the right words.) In any case I think they are not perennial roses.

Yours are so beautiful though, it's got me thinking I might just try them if I can figure out a spot for them.

• Marie Tulin
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Are Explorer Roses out of Canada supposed to be hardy to at least zone 4?

• terrene
    13 years ago

Very pretty pics! Mad-gallica, I love your color combos - I love pink and pastels (with some red thrown in). Fran, I love that Columbine and the Morning glories. I winter-sowed Aquilegia caerulea 'Mixed Colors' (Rocky mountain columbine) this year and got lots of seedlings. Did not see any blooms this year yet though. Can't wait!

Here's a few pics of the Hummingbird garden, which is part of the back garden. It blooms with hummingbird favorites from July through frost, but the hummers are usually out of here by mid September.

The hummers visit frequently once the Monarda starts blooming.

Then the Lobelia cardinalis blooms - this is one of the patches.

Then the annual Zinnias and Cardinal climber start to flourish -