Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
idabean2

what new to you mail order companies did you try this year?

Marie Tulin
13 years ago

Some people reported in earlier, but it would be interesting to collect reports on all the new places we ordered from.Tell us where and what your experience was.

MT

Comments (6)

• asarum
    13 years ago

I ordered from Joy Creek because have an interesting selection of plants not found locally. I will order from them again in the future, I am sure.

• pixie_lou
    13 years ago

Not new, but I ordered from Brecks. Just bulbs. I won't know if I'm satisfied until next spring!

I pretty much only order from Brecks. And I pretty much only order bulbs.

I order most of my stuff through the Middlesex (MA) Conservation District Spring Perrenial Sale and Fall Bulb Sale. Or else I buy at various garden centers.

• deanna in ME Barely zone 6a, more like 5b
    13 years ago

I ordered from Select Seeds. New to me, old to everybody else. One of David's garden (using his nickname, of course) top 30 companies. Great selection and price. Should get good germination.
    The other new company I'll probably order from is Crosman Seed. Sells only standard "ordinary" seeds, but great prices and quantities, according to Tina.

I'm always tempted by hardyplants.com, but without images I can never gather enough of an order to make me push the button. Their selection is so huge, but they have so few images so you can see their inventory.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    13 years ago

I didn't order from a new company, but I ordered a few plants from Brent and Becky's bulbs. In the past I've only order bulbs from them (and have been quite satified.) This year I ordered some perennial plugs (along with a few lily bulbs that I guess that they prechilled since they sprouted and bloomed well after having been planted in June.) The perennials were tiny, but in good shape and they grew well. I would do so again.

This year my work schedule has been unpredictable, so I hesitated to do much mail order . . . DH will water plants in the ground in a drought situation like we had this summer one of the times while I was away, but I wouldn't want to rely on him to unpack and care for potted plants from a mailed order. So I spent time in local nurseries to find plants, and ended up with a few perennials as well as a Stewartia. I also got a bunch of semi-hardy perennials and annuals for the large pots on the patio. One benefit of being gone so much was that I didn't add to my pot ghetto at all. Every plant that I bought went into the ground within a week so that it would be able to settle in before I took off again. THAT hasn't ever happened before.

• Linda G (zone 6a)
    13 years ago

For the first time, I ordered from Bustani Plant Farm. Being cautious, only ordered 5 plants to fit within the minimum shipping fee but all were specific for hummingbirds and the plants were excellent. All took off and were the hummingbird magnets as hoped for.

Linda

• spedigrees z4VT
    13 years ago

This isn't new either, but last year I ordered allium bulbs from Bluestone Perennials. I was so impressed with the flowers this year that I put in a second order with them just a month ago for more alliums (purple sensation) and bright pink aster plants.

Bluestone was sold out of the vivid purple asters I also wanted so I bought those from Burpees. Years ago Burpees was the best place to buy vegetable seeds and their flowers were also high quality, but their reputation is not what it once was, so we shall see how their live plants fare.

I was fortunate that a steady rain fell for several days immediately after I planted these acquisitions, followed by sunny days and rainy days off and on since. I also had to transplant some daylilies given to me by a friend, along with a lilac that was unhappy with the poorly drained soil where it was living and a flowering crabapple that would surely have stretched its roots into the waterline newly installed when we drilled our well. So these transplants have also benefitted from the precipitation situation and spared me hauling water to them.

If anyone knows of an online place that sells Hot Summer Echinacea and/or Cherry Cheeks Daylilies, I'd be most grateful to hear. I've been drooling over both since people have posted photos of them in this forum, and I have a perfect place for a couple plants of both species.