Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
planting quart perennials now

Posted by idabean 5A (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 1, 10 at 0:55

I'm sure this has been asked and answered many times but I need to hear it again:
I live in Lexington MA where winters are not consistently snowy. I am not going to try to winter over my new quart perennials in their pots.

They will either go into their new spots or I'll plant them in the beds where I "grow on" small plants I 'd unpot them.

What is your opinion and or experience with either option. ]

My inclination is to put them in the raised planting beds. At least they'll all be in one place so I can continue to water for a few weeks, and mulch easily when the soil is completely frozen.

I managed to forget that in the past I haven't had great luck planting perennials this late/ I figured there wasn't enough time for good root development. But these were terrific bargains and I was looking for these particular plants.

So what would you do to maximize their chances of surviving> /They are all epimediums and two fall anemones; can't get much tougher than these.

Thanks so much

Marie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: planting quart perennials now

Epimediums I haven't had any trouble with fall planting, and I'd call 1 quart ones quite large. Fall blooming, Japanese anemones, OTOH, haven't been easy to established whenever they are planted, and fall seems to be particularly bad.

o
RE: planting quart perennials now

Marie, I've had epimedium dry out in a pot over the summer, appear dead and tossed on the compost pile with roots exposed and survive and replant them the next year. I think they should do fine for you. Have never grown anemones, but have heard too, that they are tough. I have buried my leftover pots in my raised veggie beds in the fall, in their pots and had very good luck doing that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here