Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pixie_lou

Show us your Landscape - November 2012 - a photo thred

pixie_lou
11 years ago

This is a place to post photos, and to discuss, what is in your garden. This is the thread for November 2012. All garden photos are welcome. As we enter the Autumn, we expect to see more photos of foliage, berries, visual interest, hardscape. If it is a photo taken in your garden or your yard, it is fair game to post it here.

Here is the link for the November 2011 thread.

For Previous Threads from 2012:

October 2012

September 2012

August 2012

July 2012 Part II

July 2012 Part I

June 2012

May 2012

April 2012

March 2012

February 2012

January 2012

To see all of the 2011 threads, please click on the December 2011 link. The first post will have links to all previous months. In January I will be moving all the 2011 threads over to the photo gallery.

Comments (15)

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I have one aster, Fanny, still blooming. It was a little disheveled by Sandy but it's on the sheltered side of the house. I think I'll divide it next spring (and maybe buy more) so I'll have more to see next fall.

Most of my hostas are melting away now as they slide into winter, but Hosta Paul's Glory's foliage is still intact as is the variegated Solomon's Seal. Not very dramatic, but a small pleasure to see healthy green in November.

The Carefree Beauty rose is still blooming and the hips are getting much redder.

We still haven't had frost here, although it's expected on Monday night. There's sporadic blooming on various roses (Knockout, Blushing Knockout, Zepherine Drouhin, Carefree Delight). Ornamental grasses and the winterberries are dominant.

Claire

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    11 years ago

Most of my garden is buried under leaves and sticks, but I did spy a dwarf purple iris blooming over near the vegetable garden, as well as buds on my geraniums (pelargoniums). Stll some blooms on my monkshood, and my fothergilla is looking good! Sorry, no photos!

Dee

• moliep
    11 years ago

No photos here either as I'm in contact via my smartphone, but I've been walking around the yard while "training" our new puppy. Like Claire I've found sporadic blooms in the most sheltered spots-- lamium behind the shed and even an annual begonia near the chimney! We do have to get out and cut back so many things that are brown and/or down to the ground. Before Sandy hit my DH moved our gargoyle Etienne to a higher area of the long river garden (in prep for winter and possible floods). But I'll tell you, Etienne looks mightily P-Oed. He prefers his more prominent spot in the garden where he can keep his eyes on everything and all dangers that dare to challenge him!

Molie

• pixie_lou
    Original Author
    11 years ago

After the hard freeze Monday night, I don't think there is anything left blooming in my garden! But I did take this photo Monday morning - a volunteer cosmo appeared in my white garden. It had a short but happy life - it didn't even bloom until the past weekend!

This is the time of year when you notice all the bittersweet that you have yet to pull out. These vines are actually rooted on the other side of the brook on conservation land. You better believe I will wade across the stream with my chain saw to chop them down at the ground. I don't care that these plants don't "belong" to me.

The titonia planter looks a bit sad with no more tithonia. I did save some seed heads so hopefully I will have tithonia for us all to watch next year.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    11 years ago

I always enjoy seeing these threads, so thanks to everyone who has added so far. I have not yet replaced our ancient digital camera, but I did finally break down and get a smartphone since my equally antique cell phone finally started dying. I've been playing with the camera on the phone this morning, and I think it does at least as well as the old camera.

I'll start with the veggie garden, which is almost all put to bed for the season. I've ripped out all but the broccoli and the parsley, planted and mulched next year's garlic (forground), and mulched the remaining leeks (farther back) for winter and early spring harvest.

From veggie garden 11/14/2012

I noticed that my tomato spirals look like they belong in a winter bucket, so perhaps I'll see how that looks when I do those instead of red maple branches. Rather less natural looking, but cheerful.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    11 years ago

I also spent time trying to shoot photos of this morning's frost, something I've been spectacularly unsuccessful with previously. While these aren't as good as I'd like, they are a major improvement over what I managed before.

Lots of the wild plants looked lovely this morning, delicate tracings of ice covering even the smallest features.
    Curly dock:

From November 14, 2012

wild aster, looking like it's blooming again, but as white rather than lavender:
    From November 14, 2012

grasses in the back field:
    From November 14, 2012

From November 14, 2012

Wild spirea/meadowsweet:
    From November 14, 2012

All the oak leaves, regardless of orientation, seemed to grow more frost on the original underside of the leaf than on the smoother upper surface:
    From November 14, 2012

In the garden, Annabelle hydrangea's dried flower heads:

From November 14, 2012

Campanula:
    From November 14, 2012

Many of the evergreen leaves had a minutely frosted edge.
    Periwinkle:
    From November 14, 2012

Androsace:
    From November 14, 2012

Fuzzy fothergilla:

From November 14, 2012

As soon as the sun hit, the frost melted.

From November 14, 2012

11 years ago

pixie lou: This is indeed the best time of year to see bittersweet, and the hardest time for me to remove it. It's just a very beautiful ornamental vine with the orange-red berries/seed pods. I'm much happier pulling it out (and I do, happily) when it's still green and I can mutter "Strangler! Begone!" I also cringe when I remember that most of the bittersweet here came from vines my mother planted back when it was a desirable ornamental.

nhbabs: The frost photos are lovely and those tomato spirals definitely belong in a winter bucket.

Claire

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    11 years ago

I still have a few flowers, including a type of Iberis that blooms in the fall as well as in spring. I think I will consider adding Claire's aster Fanny to get more late season color. How does it deal with frost, Claire?
    Veronica Georgia Blue is throwing out a few flowers:

From November 14, 2012

These mums are quite frost hardy, but they are starting to show the effects of having had several nights in the low 20's.
    {{gwi:270444}}From November 14, 2012

Daphne x transatlantica 'Summer Ice' is never knock-yer-socks-off stunning like a rhodie in full bloom, but is quietly beautiful all season with its white-edged leaves. It is always in bloom for my entire growing season, this year from late March until November.

From November 14, 2012

There are a few leaves still colorful.

From November 14, 2012

From November 14, 2012

Mostly though, the interest is in the evergreens: conifers, perennial groundcovers, and heaths.
    {{gwi:212235}}From November 14, 2012

From November 14, 2012

{{gwi:648226}}From November 14, 2012

{{gwi:648229}}From November 14, 2012

11 years ago

nhbabs: Aster Fanny didn't handle the first frost well at all, although to be fair, the frost came about the same time as the big post-Sandy nor'easter and that may have been a double whammy with the strong winds right after Sandy's winds. I didn't pay attention last year so I don't know how late it bloomed relative to frosts. It may be more suited to a coastal late fall rather than an inland climate.

Fanny today:

The aster isn't actually rooted that close to the holly, it reached out from the back looking for more sun. When I planted it there was plenty of sun but I later added some plants in front of it. I'll move it in the spring.

Claire

11 years ago

When I look out my kitchen window nowadays, I see a whole lot of grasses with some shrubs interspersed.

This is what I see as I step out the kitchen door and walk a few steps. A lot of it is also visible from my computer window. I moved two blue hollies to the right of the birdbath this year to improve the winter view. The hollies were being crushed by overgrown roses.

There are three American hollies in there too, two of them Ilex opaca 'Goldie'. Last year they had many yellow berries; this year only a few. I think they tend to alternate years but I'm not sure.

The foxglove path looks like it will bloom again in the spring. These are all volunteers. I probably should have moved the one crowding the rhododendron but I don't want to do it this late. The rhodie looks healthy so I think it will be OK.

The cotoneasters hanging over the stone wall (yes, there's a stone wall under there) are beginning to turn red.

I like the yucca with the cotoneasters.

Close to the house are a couple of Virginia Sweetspires (Itea virginica) with leaves at different stages of turning colors. The Geranium macrorrhyzum at the foot is a shocking green compared to the other fall colors.

This leucothoe is usually half hidden by other vegetation - it only showed up when the other leaves died back. I probably should move it but it was miserable in the last place I put it and it has thrived here. I'm thinking about clearing the space around it a bit so I don't have to move it again. The branch is a remnant of the big old crabapple that was massacred by the utility tree pruning crew. I'm letting the branches compost in place as an informal border by the septic field/bird feeder area (this is not a high visibility area).

Claire

• pixie_lou
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I was thrilled to see this bit of ice covering the pond this morning. The pond did not freeze over last winter. So this gives me hope that it will this winter.

• pixie_lou
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I bought a six pack of dusty miller to add to my front white garden last May. The plants did not seem to grow at all - they remained tiny little plants. But I am now appreciating them. They are still tiny, but they are so bright and cheerful in these dark days of autumn.

DOES ANYBODY HAVE A ROSE OF SHARON THAT THEY CAN PHOTOGRAPH AND POST FOR ME? I'm considering a Rose of Sharon for a spot in my front yard - but I'm wondering what they look like thru the winter with no foliage. Thank you!

• corunum z6 CT
    11 years ago

Hi PL - here's one of mine. It looks naked. The variety I have(a gift) seed everywhere. Both the rose color and the white with maroon center are prolific. If you want some, you can have 4-5 footers for free - I'm in central CT and have to get them out - about 6 of them, plus little fellas - both colors. They grow very quickly and bloom the end of July- August.

Kindly,
    Jane

• pixie_lou
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Jane. Not sure that is the winter look I want in front of my house. Maybe on the side or in the back.

• pixie_lou
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And the date on my post just made me realize it us Dcember. I'll get the Decrmber post up tonite of tomorrow.