Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ontheteam

non garden...I need a baby kitten..

ontheteam
9 years ago

Hi gang,
My daughters cat went missing 20 days ago. We have hunted, handed out flyers door to to door and cried.
I would like to get her a new baby kitten we can train to be an indoor cat.. VS her old cat who was feral before we got him and was an indoor out door cat.
I am looking at petfinder and calling shelters,but wanted to ask you guys too. Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments (10)

• defrost49
    9 years ago

You might ask the shelters if they have an adult cat who is already trained to be an indoor cat. We have adopted adult cats and this worked out well. One dear female was at the shelter because its owner had died.

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

I can help, it is a longer story I will tell later. Our litter will be born soon, and it is never too early to line up forever homes. They will be handled from birth. The mother looks like Hello Kitty. These cats run to the door to greet people.

Mary (in Chicago)

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

duplicate post

This post was edited by cottonwood468 on Fri, Nov 14, 14 at 21:01

• ontheteam
    Original Author
    9 years ago

oh mary...if only you were closer! Thank you.

As for an older cat...I am unsure I could get an adult cat from a quiet elderly home to acclimate to a 4 kid 2 dog 1 other cat home.

• defrost49
    9 years ago

onetheteam, one of our other shelter cats had been living in a car with a homeless family so I think Sammy was used to kids. Sometimes a cat has to be given up due to a move. The shelter will know the histories of some of their cats.

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    9 years ago

It's worth talking to the shelter about an older (non-kitten) cat. The people are our shelter are very concerned about properly matching people and animals so the animals aren't returned for issues that could have been easily avoided.

We wanted our 2 kittens to grow up as indoor cats. Somehow we blew that big time, and after they were about 18 months old it became almost impossible to keep them in. They had been hand-raised by shelter volunteers, and hadn't been outside since they were a week old, but they still thought the proper place for cats was on the other side of the door.

• arbo_retum
    9 years ago

I def don't think that only adult cats are the answer. We have had a succession of indoor Abyssinian cats for 25 years; all came as kittens. My own sense is that if you handle them a great deal and give them lots of active love- they may bond more with you and be less drawn to the outdoors. I hope your daughter will bring the kitten to sleep with her at night.(I'm not saying this is 100%; some just HAVE to get outdoors.)That is our experience. I also feel strongly that pets need animal companions, but it sounds like you have that well handled already!
    best of luck,
    mindy
    plse post here if you still have not found one, and i will make a bunch of calls.

• ontheteam
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Mindy!

Dh found a kitten ..a bengal mix just like our remaining cat. So he picked it up today while I was at work. He's a 4 moth old Male who is neutered. No name so far, but my little girl is in love. He was born at the foster peoples house and has never been outside.
    All the pics are on Dh's phone... i will try and get one posted.

• arbo_retum
    9 years ago

I am so excited for your daughter- Wonderful news! Since this really is OT, how bout emailing me directly(see my member pg)when you choose a name for him and have photos? I'd love to see.
    mindy

• zzackey
    9 years ago

That is so exciting! I was just going to tell you our vet usually has cat and kittens for adoption on his bulletin board. Maybe that will help someone else. I'm so happy for you! I've had kittens and cats all of my 57 years.