Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is winter a good time to overseed my grass?

Posted by vzgfu (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 25, 07 at 8:19

I am new on gardening living in Boston area, I am wondering if it is good time to overseed my grass before the snow coming.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is winter a good time to overseed my grass?

It is really too late now to overseed. In a few very warm areas, and in a very warm winter, it might work but best wait til the soil warms up in the spring--not too early.

o

Sure -- you can overseed now. It's called dormant seeding, and it is discussed quite a bit over at the Lawn Care forum. The seed sits there all winter and sprouts nicely in the spring. The only reason I haven't done it that way is because then you can't use crabgrass preventer (or any germination inhibitor for weed seeds) in the springtime. But if you want to give it a try, you'll be happy with all the nice new grass sprouts you'll get in the spring. Keep it watered in the heat of the summer though, because it may struggle. I can recommend Rebel Elite TTT Fescue mix. I got it at Lowe's and I have been very happy with it.

Also if you like the idea of dormant seeding, head over to the Winter Sowing forum. You can sow nearly any kind of seed that way (perennials, annuals, vegetables, shrubs, trees, etc.), and there are hundreds of great gardeners over there who can help you get started. Basically you end up with dozens (or hundreds) of free plants. Dormant seeding is nothing new, and is a time-tested technique. (...contrary to some on the WS board who believe it was invented by one of the members there.) See you there, and good luck with your lawn.

o

I remembered one more thing about dormant seeding (for turf seeds). You need to wait until we are well into winter temperatures -- maybe even wait until Jan or Feb. You wouldn't want those seeds sprouting too soon during a warm spell.

Good luck.

o

• Posted by mayalena 6 - MetroWest Boston (My Page) on
    Wed, Nov 28, 07 at 6:15

Question from one who has never overseeded her lawn, and you can tell by looking: if we don't have snow cover, wouldn't you just be feeding the birds?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here