Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grape hyacinths planting time? Too late?

Posted by carol6ma_7ari zones 6 %26 7a (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 29, 12 at 9:37

Someone just gave us a whole box of grape hyacinth bulbs freshly dug up, lots of old leaf blades and new roots. The ground in coastal RI isn't hard yet. Do you think I can plant them this weekend and that they'll survive and bloom next Spring?

Carol

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grape hyacinths planting time? Too late?

They will probably survive. Blooming is a bit more problematic, but they will bloom the next year.

They are definitely better off in the ground than anywhere else.

o

Plant away. You are good to go until the ground freezes solid.

o

Plant them! I've even planted daffodils in December here along s. CT.

o

Thanks for the advice, guys. Yesterday (Sunday) I drove down to RI with the little bulbs and put them into the garden inside the rock edges in clumps. So now all I have to do is wait til spring. --and BTW what happened to the warm sunny Sunday predicted? It was cool, foggy, showery. (But all the ground was soft, the grass glowing green, the garlic shooting up prematurely. This is the dangerous month when I start foolishly planning large new garden beds because my back has stopped aching from last growing season.)

Carol

o

Carol,
They'll be fine. I've accidentally dug them up at various times of the year and just thrown them back and they just grow and bloom and multiply. Even some that have self-seeded in the lawn often bloom before the first mowing, and they then get mowed all summer and fall, and still bloom every year. Sunday in Providence started out cool and foggy but later was sunny and dry and almost no wind, and here it was 60�. We worked in the garden for a couple of hours and it was very pleasant.

Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here