Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
diggerdee

I need a photo please

Hi,

Does anyone have a photo of a shrub border that I can use for promotional purposes? My library is presenting a program on shrubs and small trees in the CT garden, and I would love to have a photo to use in our flyers. I usually just use a bit of clip art but have not found anything sufficient.

It would just be for in-house use only, and I could certainly give credit to the photographer/gardener.

Thanks!

Dee

Comments (19)

• ego45
    14 years ago

Could this work?
    {{gwi:251688}}

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, George! This may work. Much appreciated!

:)
    Dee

• arbo_retum
    14 years ago

gee george, what a handsome design.
    mindy

• arbo_retum
    14 years ago

dee, here are a few:

The Cotton-Arbo retum

Ct. Garden of Monique and Les

{{gwi:1096275}}
    The Cotton-Arbo retum

• ginny12
    14 years ago

Those are lovely, Mindy. I'm in a better mood already.

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    14 years ago

My eyes are boggled.

Thanks, George and Mindy.

Claire

• terrene
    14 years ago

Gorgeous shots on this thread! You have a lovely variety of shrubbery, Mindy. Do you get a lot of birds in your yard? Looks like lots of places for them to nest and hide.

• arbo_retum
    14 years ago

yes, terrene, lots, mostly small and tiny ones plus cardinals and robins. and some mourning doves, my fav. But what I wish we had were flickers and baltimore orioles and cedar waxwings; i just love those!
    mindy

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you, Mindy! Those are lovely photos!

I've got to ask - WHERE did you get those gorgeous columns?!I would love to have something like that!

Dee

• arbo_retum
    14 years ago

They were the only 2 at an antique shop some years ago. feel so lucky to have found them; glad you enjoyed.

if you do some google searching for garden urns, garden pottery, garden pedestals, you might find the Pa. wholesale companies that make and sell some nice old looking contemporary pieces.sorry i can't remember their names, but you can sometimes get your local nursery to order some for you, as they sell to many nurseries.
    best,
    mindy

here's another i found at Brimfield yrs. ago

this came from a garden shop in the center of fairfield ct.
    it's lightweight fiberglass

this was trucked from cal.; ah, what we do for beauty!

• arbo_retum
    14 years ago

dee, don't forget Homegoods. I was a HG Cruiser for many yrs. The tan terra cotta-looking(fiberglass) urn in my photo is from HG!
    best,
    mindy

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Mindy, those are just beautiful! Some of them look medieval (which is a good thing to a history buff like myself, lol!) I am definitely going to have to do a bit of web surfing (and pay a visit to HG!). Thanks!

Dee

• hunt4carl
    14 years ago

Slightly OT, but since you've starting obsessing (!) about garden ornaments,
    just thought I'd check in to see if you've ever heard of United Wrecking Company in Stamford. . .years ago, when I lived in NYC, that was one of our favorite
    day-trip destinations, and while it was exclusively salvage materials back then,
    I believe they now have added some contemporary stuff. This was at least 20
    years ago, so I can't vouch for their uniqueness today.

Carl

Here is a link that might be useful: United Wrecking Company

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Carl! Nice to see you! It's been awhile since I've seen you posting here. (I just saw on another forum that you had a nice glass of Merlot, lol.)

Anyway, many years ago (almost 20 - yikes!) I worked in Stamford and used to go to UW fairly often. But then they got "discovered" and it became trendy to shop salvage, and they became outrageously expensive. Honestly, I haven't been back there in a few years, but maybe next time I'm down that way I'll stop in.

Dee

• Monique z6a CT
    14 years ago

Hi Carl! Les and I have been there a few times but not in recent years. Thanks for the reminder-we'll have to stop in when we're next in the area. They used to have a great gelato place nearby, but that moved. Probably why we haven't been back LOL. Food always draws us places.

Here is a link that might be useful: United House Wrecking

• ego45
    14 years ago

I've been there several times during the past 5-6 years and every time I become more and more inclined not to visit them again.
    True 'used' garden ornamentals are mostly in a 'junk' cathegory to my taste (probably they have someone who buys 'good' antiques before they become available to the public) and new 'Made in China' goods are not that different in price than in a WM or HG.
    Dee is right, it's not a former UHW anymore after they become "discovered".

• kyme
    14 years ago

Dee,
    I love the photos and the combinations. I would love to know the common names of your groupings. I am doing a wildlife habitat and some of these would be a great addition. I know some of them like the nadina. I have a lot of shade since I have been adding trees.
    Thanks,
    Martha

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Martha, I can't take credit for any of the wonderful photos here - wish I could, lol! They are Mindy's (and George's). Hopefully they are still reading this thread and will pop in with answers for you.

Dee

• arbo_retum
    14 years ago

martha, i don't know which photos you are referencing but i see no nandina in mine or george's. I would be happy to
    i.d. things for you. I'll make a trade w/ you. Add your zone and location to your i.d.(better to help others and also to rcve help from others) and I'll list whatever you'd like to know; just refer to which photos.

best,
    miny