Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carol6ma_7ari

Where to go in winter to enjoy blooms?

carol6ma_7ari
13 years ago

Now that the leaves have finally fallen off my apricot trees (my true indicator of end of autumn), I already miss these past colorful days here in New England. So where can I travel to (preferably driving) in the USA in December and January, to see wonderful blooming gardens?

Carol

Comments (7)

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    13 years ago

Logee's

• arbo_retum
    13 years ago

botanical gardens of major cities- nyc, brooklyn, chicago, d.c.,montreal, seattle, st. louis.... plus Longwood Gardens(huge) in kennett sq PA.
    otherwise cal and fla and new orl.

• pixie_lou
    13 years ago

Close to home, the courtyard at the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum is always gorgeous.

Though it isn't really in bloom, Tower Hill Botanic Garden is worth a winter trip.

• carol6ma_7ari
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, cold-hardy NE'ers. The Logee's trip could be a day trip. And although the various greenhouses sound nice and warm for a bitter day in January, I was thinking more on the lines of driving 2 days, walking around gardens outdoors, with blooms present. Camellias in SC? Anything in FL? (I don't want to fly because of the choice between xrays and gropes).

Carol

• ginny12
    13 years ago

In winter, there's no place within two days' driving distance of New England that has outdoor gardens in bloom, unless you are Mario Andretti. I have lived in South Carolina and it is cold in winter, tho not like here. But no gardens in full bloom. Think ice storms.

If you're willing to drive to Florida, especially the warmer parts, that takes most people more than two days.

I fly a lot and have refused the X-rays because of health and modesty concerns. The pat-down is not as bad as the grisly descriptions. It's quick and efficient. And well worth the rewards of safe travel to so many wonderful destinations.

• carol6ma_7ari
    Original Author
    13 years ago

THanks, Ginny; you're right: Florida is 3 days driving. But having experienced the "enhanced" body pat-down twice last month at Boston and Oakland CA airports) and found it distasteful in the extreme (the officer's plastic-gloved hand goes all the way up one's leg not only to the top of the leg-genital joint, but also touches private parts "quickly and efficiently" at the top, with the side of her hand), I am now opting out of flying, until they change their search methods. If they had caught a terrorist or found explosives this way, I'd be inclined to tolerate it. But all the TSA news statistics shows they are only finding an occasional small knife or some other item the passenger overlooked in packing.

So hello US Route 95!

Carol

• mskee
    13 years ago

I second the vote for Logee's. I make a trip there every February, when I really need a dose of summer. Being immersed in those greenhouses is a little bit of heaven, unlike any other greenhouse that I have been to. They have a century old lemon tree growing out of the dirt floor, among lots of other visual and olfactory treats there! They also sell little plants, for hefty prices, but, I always end up buying a couple each year...just to nurse them along until spring!

Emily