Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

Comments (3)

• pixie_lou
    9 years ago

Bumping this down since the sale is over

• diggingthedirt
    9 years ago

So, who went? We did a GW-NE field trip there one year, and it was loads of fun - well worth the drive. I haven't been back since then, but I'd love to go, sometime.

• bill_ri_z6b
    9 years ago

I started going to Logee's over 55 years ago. Back then it was run by Byron's mother, Joy Logee Martin. She was extremely knowledgeable, and very friendly. I traded seeds of some rare tropicals from Ecuador and Peru which I had found through mail order ( no internet back then!) I feel certain that the seeds of Datura sanguinea (now Brugmansia) grew plants that have been and are being used to create some of the gorgeous pink hybrids that Logee's sells now. I am happy that my small contribution years ago is giving Brugmansia growers some pleasure now. I know that Joy appreciated my knowledge too. I went often and I was always fascinated by the maze of greenhouses; step down into one and turn sharply to another, down another few steps to another, up and out to another, and so on. Each house was overflowing with exotic plants of every type. Leaves and blossoms jutting out from every nook and cranny, hanging overhead or poking out from anywhere. It was like clambering through a wonderful and exotic jungle. And the prices were so attractive. For a small pot perhaps from $1.00 to $3.00. Those didn't increase much over the years while Joy still ran the place. Now I'm not stupid, so of course I realize that prices had to increase. But it seems to me now that two things have happened. First, they seem to have eliminated many of the plants that are not the "money makers". That is somewhat understandable, but it doesn't fill the needs of those of us who still want something special, and at one time Logee's did fill that need. The other thing is that the prices, to me, seem to have risen much more than they should have. Now, the average price for a 2.5" pot is from $10-$12, and that is a lot to pay for such a small plant.

I am sure that some of you may think I'm overly critical, but I really used to love going to Logee's. But it has changed from a fascinating and friendly sort of place to one with a corporate attitude. The magic that was Logee's, for me, is gone.