Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pixie_lou

Show us your gardens - a photo thread - November 2013

pixie_lou
10 years ago

This is a place to post photos, and to discuss, what is in your garden. This is the thread for November 2013. All garden photos are welcome. As we enter autumn, the emphasis starts to shift away from blossoms and we start to think about leaves, berries, branches, etc. However, all landscape and garden photos are welcome. If it is a photo taken in your garden or your yard, it is fair game to post it here.

Here is the link for the November 2012 thread.

For previous 2013 threads:

October 2013 part 2

October 2013 part 1

September 2013

August 2013 part 2

August 2013 part 1

July 2013 part 2

July 2013 part 1

June 2013 part 2

June 2013 part 1

May 2013

April 2013 part 1

April 2013 Part 2

March 2013

February 2013

January 2013

To see all of the 2012 threads, please click on the December 2012 link. The first post will have links to all previous months.

I am (still) in process of moving all the 2011 threads over to the
photo gallery
. I need to look up who IâÂÂm supposed to e-mail. Plus I have to make the list. Maybe I'll get it done before 2014!

FWIW if we have 50 posts in this thread by 15 November, then I will make a November Part II thread. We have been a chatty group lately!

This post was edited by pixie_lou on Thu, Nov 7, 13 at 11:52

Comments (46)

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    10 years ago

As you can see from this photos's background, most of our color is now gone, particularly after Thursday's and Friday's gusty winds, but the Fothergilla hung onto its leaves and seems unbothered by last week's 25 degree nighttime temperatures. I find it interesting that this row of three, all 'Mt Airy', don't necessarily turn the same color each year, though sometimes they do.

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    10 years ago

It's interesting, nhbabs, that your fothergillas don't always turn the same color. I have three small ones, also 'Mt Airy', that are planted in 'part shade', maybe bordering on 'a lot of shade'.

Yours seem to be in full sun and much fuller than mine, and later in the season (no 25 degrees here yet).

All three of mine are this color today:

I don't know if they'll turn that nice color you have before they drop their leaves. I hope they do.

My two Ilex opaca 'Goldie's' have a fair amount of yellow berries this year, although not as many as they sometimes do.

The hollies are covered with pine needles and, in fact, almost everything in the yard is covered with pine needles after the wind and rain.

Aster 'Fanny' is still blooming amid the pine needles. 'Blushing Knockout' rose to the left.

A slightly longer view shows Aster 'Fanny' on the bottom right and several Knockout roses, Blushing Knockout left and rear and the classic Knockout to the far left. Miscanthus here and there. The bluestone path is almost obscured by pine needles. I keep raking pine needles into the beds (free mulch) but the pines are way ahead of me.

The other major color here belongs to sumacs. Here the sumacs can be seen behind the toolshed with a variegated hydrangea still showing its usual foliage in front. These sumacs will probably get much redder soon - others have.

I'm still waiting for the cotoneaster leaves to turn. They're just beginning to think about it now.

Claire

• diggingthedirt
    10 years ago

Those fothergillas are a great range of colors. My cotoneaster is also resisting fall - just like me; actually I have a lot of things that haven't started to color, like sweet gum. No frost yet, but tonight could be the night.

I still love Bonica rose:

and some of the hydrangeas (this is one of the CityLine group, but I'm not sure which one) still look good:

Nandina domestica is putting on its annual autumn show:

and some of the campanulas that self-sowed earlier this year are finally in bloom:

Here is a link that might be useful: picasa web - fall garden 2013

• bill_ri_z6b
    10 years ago

DTD,

It's nice that you still have all that in your garden. I still have a lot of stuff too, but I think it will end tonight. We are expected to get below 30 degrees tonight and tomorrow night. Oh well, that's what happens. But there's always next year!

{{gwi:5901}}

• moliep
    10 years ago

I agree, Bill, that "the end" is near. I still have flowers on my Knockouts and the iris from the CT swap has buds, but the night temperatures are dropping. So not much longer.

Molie

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    10 years ago

Babs, love the color on your Fothergilla. It has a nice shape to it too.

Claire, yellow berries on your hollies are a nice change of pace. Do the birds eat them?

DtD, is that a red hip on the Bonica rose? Nandina shows such a pretty arrangement of berries with that bright foliage, nice.

It was in the 20s overnight last night, here too, and the shrubs in the yard look a little worse for wear. Yesterday they looked better, so I thought I better try to get some last photos since another night in the 20s is in the forecast.

Frozen birdbath at 9:30am with the sun on it...

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    10 years ago

Kale is still hanging in thereâ¦.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    10 years ago

And a bok choyâ¦.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    10 years ago

Last rose on 'Julia Child' that is looking more apricot than yellow, but I'm very happy with all that clean foliage without sprayingâ¦..

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    10 years ago

A lavender Mum hanging in thereâ¦.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    10 years ago

And two more potted mums we're still enjoyingâ¦..

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    10 years ago

Hydrangea with Fall colorâ¦..

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    10 years ago

Itea 'Henry's Garnet' that is so much nicer than the Itea virginiana that I bought first. I wish I had bought this one first and it would be bigger by now. My favorite fall color shrub now and I'm planning on buying two moreâ¦.

That's itâ¦. :-)

10 years ago

Pretty pink fall colors, DtD ("pink fall colors" sounds a little odd but it's attractive) and that purple campanula with the red and green leaves is another unusual, but pretty, fall combination.

PM2: Vegetables and mums and a rose, all looking perky, and nice fall foliage on the hydrangea and Itea. I also have, and love, 'Henry's Garnet'.

The yellow holly berries do disappear eventually, but not very quickly. I have pictures in February of the berries still there, so they're not a major treat for the birds. Maybe they need multiple frost cycles to ripen.

No frost here yet and the weather forecast doesn't call for any night temperatures below freezing for at least another week.

The robins keep checking the winterberry but those berries apparently aren't ripe yet either. The leaves are still on.

My fothergilla's are turning redder, more like nhbabs' fothergillas.

My little volunteer dogwood (I think) is turning a lovely color this year, right in front of the cotoneasters.

The cotoneasters behind the dogwood are finally beginning to turn red. I hope the dogwood holds onto its colorful leaves until the cotoneasters all turn.

Viburnum 'Summer Snowflake' has a few blooms left, but it's not very showy.

And a close up of Aster 'Fanny'.

Claire

• diggingthedirt
    10 years ago

PM, that Henry's Garnet foliage is really nice - I can see why you like it! I don't have an itea, but I'll have to think about adding it ... somewhere! Your kale looks great, too.

Love the color of that aster, Claire - it really shines in the lower light of fall - I spotted some wild ones at my campus today - but mine are long gone, maybe because I didn't pinch them back late enough this year.

10 years ago

DtD: I never pinch back asters. This one is an Aster oblongifolius cultivar and just blooms late. I bought the original from Plant Delights Nursery a few years ago, loved it, and divided and moved it out of a crowded situation this spring. It seemed to be happy in the new location and I bought and planted some new ones this spring, about ten feet away. Unfortunately, a woodchuck ate all the new little ones, leaving the old ones alone. I don't really understand that but woodchucks have their own rules.

I guess I'm going to have to keep dividing the big ones to get more.

Claire

• spedigrees z4VT
    10 years ago

Claire, your "Fanny" asters look very similar to the feral asters that I see growing everywhere except on my own property. Perhaps they are the "Fanny" variety escaped from local gardens. I have only the pale pastel anemic looking wild asters, so I have made a second attempt this year at seeding the rich purple feral asters on my own land. I located a couple clumps of the desired asters growing alongside a road, placed bright colored zip ties around them, so as to distinguish them from other roadside weeds when they had gone to seed, and last weekend captured the fluffy seedheads and snipped and removed the zip ties! Time will tell if they flourish here or not.

In the past I have purchased a variety of asters in purples and pinks. Only the pinks survived, and this year there were less of them. The purples died out the first year. Only the pale wild asters seem to like it here, so I'm giving the feral rich purples one more try.

Anyway I love your "Fanny" asters! Very nice color.

Leaves are off the trees now and I'm slowly putting the gardens to bed. The sunlight fell on this tamarack tree out in our swamp this afternoon. Its autumn gold needles really shone from within the maze of pussywillow branches.

10 years ago

spedigrees: That golden tamarack is just spectacular - beautiful pic!

Fanny is an Aster oblongifolius cultivar (sometimes called Symphyotrichum oblongifolium) and it's native to north America, although apparently not New England (Distribution Map). Common name is Aromatic Aster. Vermont is awfully close to New York so you may be seeing native aromatic asters by your road.

Lazy S'S Farm Nursery sells four cultivars.

I hope your seeding works.

Claire

• diggingthedirt
    10 years ago

I noticed over the weekend that some of the winter heaths are starting to bud up - so there won't be too much of a lull between the last of the autumn color and the start of the winter blooms. Winter is NOT something I look forward to, exactly, but having something in bloom does take some of the sting out of the long, cold, dark season.

If you don't have winter heath (Erica carnea) yet, maybe you should consider getting some.

• spedigrees z4VT
    10 years ago

Very interesting info about the Fanny/Aromatic Aster, Claire. Yes it is very likely that these asters have hopped over the state line and come here. We're only 20 miles or so from the NY border. Thank you for the information. I'm sure it is the same flower that I see and admire along the roadsides.

Just call me "Tess." Last night I felt like the Thomas Hardy character hobbling back in from digging in the turnip fields after dark. I finished weeding, shoveling, and hoeing the veggie patch, the perennial beds, the orange/bottle tree garden, and pet memorial garden. They are now officially put to bed for the winter. The gnome garden will just have to spend the cold months under a tangle of weeds; there are only so many gardening hours!

I'm realizing that my veggie patch's days may be numbered. My bones and joints are retaliating today, and I think the veg patch will be my first concession to old age in a year or two. The bulk of my gardening work is centered on this inconspicuous looking postage stamp of earth. I'm not sure how I ever used to care for our big vegetable garden in my youth.

• bill_ri_z6b
    10 years ago

Sped, old age= "Golden Years" .........hmmmmm...... now THAT's a load of manure! Too bad my back would hurt if I tried to spread it in the garden!

I've been doing a few containers for one or two tomato plants. I still manage to plant a few basil plants amongst the perennial herbs (oregano, tarragon, rosemary and parsley, the last one actually a self-seeding biennial).

With age comes wisdom.............and a lot of adjustments! But there's still a lot of time and many ways to enjoy gardening!

{{gwi:5901}}

10 years ago

Hey, spedigrees AKA Tess, that veggie patch would be a great place for another bottle tree in a few years. Or a gnome tree?

Did you plant all those little conifers on the slope in the background? I think I remember you talking about planting trees a few years ago.

They look really healthy and must be a good shot of green in the winter.

Claire

• diggingthedirt
    10 years ago

LOL, sped - I too gave up veggies a few years ago (although I still enjoy the volunteer cherry tomatoes that keep popping up). To make myself feel better about it, I support my local farmers' market throughout the growing season.

I do still have a small veggie garden, which is a raised bed about 4 x 6 feet; my son built it for me, mainly because I had a big load of finished compost and nowhere to put it. It's much easier to care for than the flat garden it replaced.

• moliep
    10 years ago

True, Bill, about the aging process and what it teaches us about ourselves. Like Dee, I support the local Farm Share program and farmer's markets that are offered in our area. No gardening for me, except for pots of cherry tomatoes on the deck.

Sped, that shot of the sunlight on your tamarac is glorious. The golden tones sparkle against the gray of the willows. That's what I love about winter ---- surprising contrasts as the plants go to sleep. And when my gardens go to sleep. Time for me to rest.

Reminds me of something I read --- also off the topic of blooming in November. Did anyone see the last issue of Yankee magazine? There's an article inside called "When the Leaves Come Down." About the winter photography of Richard Brown, it highlights the areas around his home in Peacham, VT. Just glorious! We're planning a winter driving/photography trip to Vermont when the snow is on the ground.

Molie

• spedigrees z4VT
    10 years ago

Bill, I couldn't agree more about age and its limitations! But what can you do......

True, Digging, supporting the local farmers markets is good compensation for the lack of one's own vegetable garden.

We actually harvest very few vegetables from my tiny patch, mostly summer squash and a few ears of corn. The two main reasons for keeping it going are having a ready supply of cornstalks for decorating the front porch in fall, and for growing sunflowers. Also I'm loathe to give it up after the work it took to dig it in the first place, which including hauling the dug out sod up the hill to fill in some low spots on our walking trail, and I'm also reluctant to give up my saved heirloom seeds. So I'll persevere at least a few more years, then probably seed it over with clover and bluegrass.

Claire, the young white pines on our hillside (outlined in white in the photo below) seeded themselves from the tall pines in the older woods behind them. There are some other trees among them, some maples, birch, hickories. Not needing the land for pasture anymore, we let them grow up and kept open the old horse/cow path which runs along the top of our hill through the trees. A few years ago we also bushwhacked a second parallel trail through the blackberry brambles and young pines, so that now we can walk with our dogs 1/2 mile in a circle through the woods without ever leaving our property. It is very peaceful and soothing to walk up there and the dogs love sniffing under the trees where various wild animals have been. It is astonishing to me that 7 years ago these trees did not exist at all, and now we have a pine forest! Even after just 3 years we were walking among trees that were nearly as tall as I am, and now they tower above us. They grew up so quickly!

In the photo, the areas we are planting with new trees are the unmowed three areas outlined in various colors. The red area on the left will be mostly sugar maples and white birch, the blue area (which is bigger than it looks in the picture) will be evergreens (spruce, fir, pine) and hickory, and the fushia outlined area will be apples and crabapples. I've planted a few lilacs and flowering crabs in the unmowed area just beneath the pines on the hill (in white). In the tree planting areas we have purchased and planted a number of seedlings/saplings, and each fall we collect and dump buckets of cones, apples, crabapples, and hickory nuts on these areas. We're hoping they will thrive and grow as quickly as the pines on the hillside.

The end result should be an expanse of green carpet surrounded by woods on three sides. At least that is the hope. When we get too old and infirmed to walk in the woods up on the hill, we'll still be able to totter out with our old dog (now a mere puppy) and walk around the flat lawn (former pasture) surrounded by trees. We'll see how that goes. ;-)

• spedigrees z4VT
    10 years ago

I didn't see the Yankee Magazine issue/article that you referred to, Molie, but I hope you have a productive photographic excursion here in Vermont with many Richard Brown inspired snow photographs!

10 years ago

Great forest restoration project, spedigrees! I particularly like that you've established paths through it. That's a very sensible (and satisfying) way to deal with changes in lifestyle as you grow older.

On a much, much smaller scale in my yard I've been letting some lawn areas revert to woods. I started around 2005 or 2006 and, like your white pines, some of the volunteers are way taller than me. As they grow I'm hoping to keep the understory tamed so one can walk through there.

You said "It is very peaceful and soothing to walk up there..." I also feel the difference - I love going through the areas yet I can't remember ever wanting to walk there when it was just lawn.

Claire

• Persimmons
    10 years ago

I'm not sure if there's a mb limit to the photos, but here's a shot of the fresh buds on my Duke blueberry bush. Looks mighty healthy in the spot I've got it in!

• franeli
    10 years ago

This photo thread is a very nice collection of November gardens and plants from around New England!

The winterberries here are giving the landscape some color as the days become short,cold and cloudy. Snow comes and goes these days.
    This is a photo I took of the winterberries down by the beaver pond.

{{gwi:1096764}}

10 years ago

That blueberry looks like it's just aching for spring to take off, Persimmons. Nice red stems too.

Beautiful reflections of winterberries, franeli with all the leaves off and the berries front and center. My winterberries here in zone 6b still have leaves on.

First snow today! The ground is still warm so there's no accumulation but the snow is sitting on the plants (and at least one grass went splat).

Looking towards the bay from my bluestone path I can see the snow on the Gray Owl Junipers to the right.

Just out of sight to the left is my Pinus rigida 'Sand Beach', a low-growing pitch pine cultivar.

The needles look like little starbursts with the snow.

'Blushing Knockout' Rose still blooms. There should be a hard freeze tonight so I don't know how it will look tomorrow.

The deciduous trees are losing their leaves so my bay view is beginning to be revealed.

Now if the sun would just come out....

Claire

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    10 years ago

Claire! SNOW?!?! YIKES!! We didn't get any up here but it was cold and windy. Love that Ilex 'Goldie'. It is OK for zone 5. I'd like to find a yellow berried holly.

I've always wanted to try out nandina up here as well. That picture makes me want to try it even more!

Another round of great photos from everyone. With such a mild fall it looks like everyone is enjoying some lingering blooms.

We've had mixed fall color up here. Some leaves are going crisp without turning, and others are doing well.

The larch finally turned. I was afraid it wouldn't turn its beautiful yellow this year. I love this tree. I know I'm crazy and maybe I just need a cat (but I'm allergic) because I really do pet this tree. I love the soft needles.

Paperbark maple in front, fothergilla, european beech and snowmound spirea behind.

Hooray!! For Bill and his camellias! It was because of his pictures that I'm trying one, and I even have 2 blooms on my little shrub!

Berries for breakfast? There were 4 squirrels in the hawthorn this morning. Couldn't get them all in one pic.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    10 years ago

We had a beautiful winter wonderland here yesterday. Like Claire, the ground was really too warm for anything to stick - well, the roads were. The grass still had snow on it this afternoon. But I'm definitely in a little microclimate, or maybe I should say that my end of town is a higher elevation than the rest of town.

When I drove to work yesterday morning, it was still snowing, starting to stick to the patio and steps, and I had to scrape off my car. I drove "down the mountain" as we jokingly call it, downtown five miles to work, and there was nothing - not a snowflake on the ground and not even raining anymore. Later in the day I was surprised when I drove back "up the mountain" and there was still snow on the ground!

I certainly was glad the snow didn't amount to much, and I'm looking forward to the warmer temps forecast for this weekend so I can start my leaf clean-up, but I do have to admit that wet snow that clings to everything surely is beautiful to look at! (although a little odd when its sticking to maple leaves still on the trees, lol!)

Dee

• bill_ri_z6b
    10 years ago

Thyme2, your camellia looks great! We here in the "tropics of New England" (!) got only a few wet flakes yesterday morning. My Snow Flurry camellia is still blooming like crazy. The petunias and million bells (Callibrachoa) are still blooming, apparently untouched by the upper twenties overnight recently. Even the Osterospermum have a few blooms and no sign of freezing. And the Knockout roses have several blooms and all their leaves, as do the Potentilla. But I know this won't last much longer. Personally, I would be fine if I never see another snowflake, but I've lived here my whole life, so I know what to expect. Well, at least it's always nice to be able to look forward to another spring.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    10 years ago

Love that Larch tree, thyme2! And you ordered a Fall blooming Camellia, I hope it makes it through the winter for you. Very pretty blooms.

Oh another Larchâ¦pretty Spedigrees!

Look at the snow, Claire! I saw a few flakes floating around and that was it.

Franeli, that is a LOT of winterberries! Such a beautiful natural setting you have there.

Persimmon I love the color of the blueberry branches. I didn't realize they did that.

I'm ready for bare branches. There is a lot of half dead foliage just hanging on. I just remembered I haven't put the hoses away yet. I think it's gong to warm up though. I'd like to get another round of watering in before the ground freezes. it's just been too dry.

• Persimmons
    10 years ago

Interesting shade of pink, eh?

I was surprised that they turned such an intense color. It's going to look lovely with snow cover, I'm sure, especially contrasted to the snowberries I have growing nearby.

10 years ago

I didn't know that larches were pettable, T2D (actually, I know almost nothing about larches except that the yellow is lovely).

Not much leaf color here now, but texture is stepping in. The mischanthus seedheads are beginning to mature and they're getting really fluffy.

This is M. 'Malepartus' in full fluffiness.

I'm not sure which miscanthus this is (they got moved around) but it has different shaped seedheads, squiggly as well as being fluffy.

Other miscanthus seedheads are still closed and will open when they feel like it.

Claire

• moliep
    10 years ago

Beautiful end-of-fall photos, folks! There is nothing like the first snow, even if it doesn't amount to much, and the winter sun sparkling on ornamental grass seedheads.

Molie

10 years ago

Temperature in the teens this morning but the sun came up and gave me this view out my kitchen window.

Claire

• corunum z6 CT
    10 years ago

Right, Molie, all very lovely autumn shots. It is because of past fall pictures on this thread that this year I planted two miscanthus sinensis - a gracillimus and an adagio. Here's the adagio in the wind. The NE Forum changed my Yankee traditionalist mind about grasses. Thanks, guys.

Jane

10 years ago

Lovely shot of 'Adagio', Jane. I have some too and they're very reliable performers. Is your 'Gracillimus' in full bloom? Mine is much later than other Miscanthus.

I also resisted ornamental grasses for several years when I first started gardening. When I read that it took three years for the grasses to really look good I decided I didn't want to wait that long.

Three years later I started kicking myself (I could have had mature grasses!) and started planting them.

Claire

• corunum z6 CT
    10 years ago

Yes, the gracillimus, although relatively thin, is in full bloom. At the moment, it's soaked, split open and on the ground. But it had big fluffy blooms a week ago. I agree about the planting time. Like the Chinese proverb, âÂÂThe best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.âÂÂ
    Jane

• pixie_lou
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've just scrolled through this whole thread. Quite the progression we have - lots of blossoms in the beginning of the thread, which turns in to foliage shots, and then we get to snow!
    Nutcracker season is upon us, which means I spend all my time on Nutcracker activities. I finally got around to downloading photos this morning. I'll be posting all of November, and starting the December thread shortly.

Every week when I went out to take photos, I loved the look of the Silver Maple Canopy with the blue sky background. It's nice to watch the progression of the leaves turning on the tree.

A late November photo of the stream out at the back of the property

And some early November photos of foliage around the gardens. Ferns with Solomon Seal

Blueberry Bush

Forsythia foliage turning purple

And some Holly Berries

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    10 years ago

Pixie Lou, what specifically do you mean by "Nutcracker activities"? Just curious. My daughter danced for many years in the Nutcracker, which meant practices for three months, rehearsals a few times a week in the weeks before, and then 7 performances in 4 days. Phew. Oh, and then we all had to watch the performance in the living room as well, at least once, usually on Christmas Eve, where she danced all the parts, lol.

But despite this, I have never tired of the music and actually take my daughter to see it every year - I realized after all those years of dancing in it, she had never actually SEEN an entire production because she was either dancing or backstage!

Dee
    P.S. We also watch the Battle of the Nutcrackers every year - I forget which station, but they show 4 or 5 different performances and the audience votes on a favorite, which is then rebroadcast. It's amazing that I don't run screaming from the room when someone mentions "Nutcracker, but I just never get tired of it. Love it!

• pixie_lou
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Dee. My daughter is part of the Children's Cast with Jose Mateo Ballet Theatre. This is her 4th year. She was a mouse her first 2 years. She is now on her second year as a polichinelle - the little ones who run out from under Mother Gingers skirt. She is especially excited this year since she is the "naughty" Poli - which means she gets to do cartwheels instead of returning to the skirt. This year I was asked to be a Cast Leader - which means I'm 1 of 3 trying to coordinate all the children. With 60 kids per show, 200 kids total, and 25 shows this year, it has been a ton of work.

You are right how it overtakes your life. We start listening to the score the first weekend in September - audition weekend. And we watch Battle of the nutcrackers on Ovation every year (they just put the Maryinski 2006 version on demand last night - guess what I watched!). I try to get her to one of the Jose Mateo performances every year. And we usually go watch one other production of nutcracker every year. Though I will admit I'm happy to watch Swan Lake once January hits!

My DD is only 9, so I have many more years of this ahead of me!

• deanna in ME Barely zone 6a, more like 5b
    10 years ago

All your photos are beautiful. I love how you all take a "dead" season of the year and find so much beauty in it. Really shows how you can plan a garden for color so much beyond May, June, July, August, and September. Once the autumn color ends I can look forward to scenes like yours, claire, with the snow painting a different picture of the yard. Really nice!

You all are great!

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    10 years ago

Very pretty fall photos! Love the colors, the grasses, the berries and the trees! Each season has something to appreciate. Glad everyone continues to share photos.