Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
corunum

Does Anyone Here Grow Lingonberries?

corunum z6 CT
13 years ago

...and if so, has it been a worthwhile and easy plant for you? Seems as though it may be quite a nice evergreen ground cover in addition to its other fine attributes (including the Swedish pancake finale).

Also, if you did plant them, did you begin with bareroot stock or potted plants?

Thanks in advance for any replies,

Jane

Here is a link that might be useful: UMASS-Lingonberries

Comments (7)

• ginny12
    13 years ago

I'll be interested in people's answers to this, corunum. I love lingonberries tho I don't grow them--didn't even know they were available in US nurseries.

But I buy lingonberry preserves every year. They are very popular in Scandanavian countries and are the traditional accompaniment to Swedish meatballs which I make every year for St. Lucy's Day on December 13. Always a big hit--yum--can't wait.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    13 years ago

I actually have grown one lingonberry at a previous house, as I recall a miniature form, Vaccinium vitis-idaea minus. It did well in my acid soil - was rather like a low-bush blueberry in its presence in the garden (small shrub with nice autumn color), though my memory is that had shinier, slightly larger leaves. It was only several inches tall and maybe a foot wide and only grew larger slowly. It never did set fruit, and I wondered if it perhaps needed another one to be fruitful. I liked it, but it wouldn't have done as well in my current setting which has finer textured soil and more shade. I bought it at least 20 years ago and have no memory of where I got it.

• WendyB 5A/MA
    13 years ago

I bought 3 of them at Russell's Garden Center in Wayland several years ago. I forget which kind. Its in my files.

they are in afternoon sun slightly filtered. They are pretty slow to do much of anything. Minimal fruit. I first planted them 4-5 feet apart given typical "groundcover" expectations (too much too fast), but I have moved them closer together twice.

One of them had a lot of trouble this summer. Maybe voles.

Overall, I would give it a 5 based on its lackluster vigor. Maybe it would rate higher if I had it in a sunnier spot.

I printed out that article to read. Maybe I can improve its culture.

A much more vigorous evergreen unusual groundcover is paxistma canbyi. Love it! no fruit or flowers, but tough little evergreen groundcover with the tiniest cutest leaves.

I also have a cranberry groundcover, same family. It does better but it is in a totally different spot. damp, rich, acid soil in sun. Maybe I should move one of the lingonberries to that bed. I bet it would do better.

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    13 years ago

I keep trying, but I can't get them to root....

Sorry, Jane, I couldn't resist it.

Claire

• ginny12
    13 years ago

Claire, you are a wicked girl!! I am still laughing.

And that's the same brand I buy--maybe the only one available in the US??

• corunum z6 CT
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ha ha hahahahahahaha, Lord, I needed that! Funny. You win the St. Lucia Pancake Award! Cracked me up, lol. TY

For the non-conserved berry gardeners, I have discovered thus far, that by planting 2-3 different varieties of these fine berry plants together, the likelihood of a better berry yield is increased. I am thinking of ordering a few varieties from Raintree Nursery to place in my sunny shrub/perennial beds so that in a few years' time, I won't have to buy mulch every year.(still dreaming) With luck, someday I might have a crop like Claire's!

Wendy: The paxistma canbyi is nice looking - also like the look of sweet woodruff.

Jane

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    13 years ago

Thanks Claire for the laugh and Jane for the cross-pollination recommendation and source.

Barb