Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Begonia started sprouting... will it die back?

Posted by started_with_bean Zone 5--MA (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 17, 09 at 12:37

I'd cut the tops off a couple of tuber begonias 2 weeks ago, when we had our first cold snap, and brought the whole pot into the enclosed back porch. No water since October, and the pot is pretty much dried out. However, it has started sprouting where I had cut it down to just above the dirt level! Just wondering if it'll stop when it gets really cold, and is the tuber viable for overwintering? I was just trying to store it in the pot like someone else had suggested. My basement gets too warm, but my front 3 season porch would get down to 40F. Should I dig it out now, or just leave it in the pot to experiment? Any thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Begonia started sprouting... will it die back?

Mine has been overwintered in a pot for 5 or 6 years now. I keep it in my unheated sunroom, at floor level so it stays cool. It may get near 40 at floor level on a really cold night. It has never sprouted until spring......maybe April. By the time it's getting significant growth, it's generally warm enough to bring it out, but even if not, the sunroom is warm enough day and night by then. The only thing is that mine is still outside, and I never bring it in before a frost or light freeze. I will probably be bringing it in in another week or so.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here