Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
javaandjazz

Bush/shrub growing alongside road bright big red berries now

Richard Dollard
13 years ago

Taking a ride last weekend up towards the Pomfret/Putnam area couldn't help but notice a shrub/bush growing alongisde the road with big beautiful red berries and of course no leaves now. It wasn't a buring bush or bittersweet but definitely an upright shrub. I wanted to stop and get some berries and try to wintersow it.Anyone have a clue? Thanks, Richie

Comments (13)

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    13 years ago

It could be a winterberry, Ilex verticillata. The wild ones are fruiting now here in the neighborhood. My big winterberry usually would be covered with berries now, but it's having a bad year. I have some seedlings in the yard so I would think you could easily wintersow it., if that's what it is.

Claire

• Richard Dollard
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I think that's it! Thanks!

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    13 years ago

Yeah, sounds like ilex verticillata. I love this shrub and have been trying to figure out where to put one in my yard. I put some in for a friend last year, and like Claire's, they're not doing so well. Granted, they're still small and it's only their first full year in the garden, but they actually looked better last year. I guess then they had the benefit of living in the nursery instead of under my care, lol!

:)
    Dee

13 years ago

I think it's a problem of the weird weather this year. My big old winterberry ALWAYS fruits, and I've let the suckers grow up and they fruit too. Except for this year.

I'm guessing the flowers didn't get pollinated properly; maybe the heat/drought affected the flowers or maybe the insects didn't/couldn't do their job.

I noticed there are a few small Ilex meserveae Blue Maids next to the winterberry that have flowers now, and these flowers are developing berries. Maybe the meserveae hollies can put out a second round of flowers but verticillata can't. Just guessing. I really, really miss those winterberry fruits!

Claire

13 years ago

Also, I checked the wild winterberries in the neighborhood and they have berries. They're next to a pond though, and the shrubs are massed together so it could be easier for a bee or whatever to just hop onto the next one.

Claire

• Richard Dollard
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Turns out I think I have this shrub but it's nowhere as showy its roadside cousins! The berries seem much smaller too.

• ginny12
    13 years ago

The drought this summer could have affected berry production on I. verticillata. This is a moisture-loving shrub and you often see it by ponds and wetlands in the wild.

My meservae hollies don't have a single berry. I wonder if cold rainy weather when they were in flower kept the bees from their appointed duties. 2 females with a gentleman companion on these hollies.

13 years ago

To give an idea of the difference in winterberry fruit this year from other years:

My winterberry on December 2, 2008:

and today, 11/30/10

Claire (sobbing softly)

13 years ago

Also, concerning the brighter, bigger red berries on the side of the road: when I checked the neighborhood, I noticed there was a patch of much brighter winterberries on one side of the pond. Unfortunately, it's private property so I didn't go over to check them out. I saw the same thing in another part of town.

Maybe a natural selection - worth picking those berries to wintersow.

Claire

• corunum z6 CT
    13 years ago

That's a huge void in a lovely landscape, Claire. A 2 hanky for sure - my empathy. My winterberry is so new and small - 2 female with a male in between - that I have hope for a backdrop like your Dec.2008 display, but also have soaker hoses in place. How much of a water lover is winterberry? I've read conflicting reports and have seen a beauty in someone's 'no-pond, no shade' yard with direct western exposure.

Jane

13 years ago

Thanks, Jane. The winterberry may well be another of those native plants that would much rather have a nice, moist environment but will make do with whatever it can get so long as it's not too dry.

Mine was probably a volunteer from the wild that my mother left in place many years ago. I suspect there is some underground water there; possibly originally from the house next door which is higher, but now there's a septic leach field nearby to please anything with deep roots.

I have three, maybe four seedlings that appeared in beds I keep moderately watered and I'm hoping that at least one of these will be a male for a pollinator. I have no idea where the current male is and I'm afraid the bees have a long journey between them.

Claire

Here is a link that might be useful: Ilex verticillata at hortuconn

• runktrun
    13 years ago

javaandjazz,
    I have a nagging feeling that this was more the result of insect pollinators then a water issue as I had a poor berry showeing this year and plenty of water. kt

• tomakers
    13 years ago

In the wild they almost always "have their feet wet". We have a few wild ones and they are always near water. I think the wetter the better. The wetter ones also have the biggest crop of berries, or so it seems.
    Tom