Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's Your Experience with the Rhode Island Garden Show?

Posted by marinabliss (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 10, 10 at 14:20

Winter hasn't even arrived on our doorsteps, but we don't need permission to dream of spring:) What's your experience with the Rhode Island Flower & Garden Show? (The theme this year is 'Gardening with Heart'/partnership w/American Heart Assoc.) How does it compare with some of the other major ones in New England, namely Boston and Hartford?

Here is a link that might be useful: Travel New England & The Caribbean

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's Your Experience with the Rhode Island Garden Show?

Boston's is usually bigger and has more vendors too. But I went to the RI show last year and enjoyed it thoroughly, saw some good plant exhibits, bought stuff, ate decent food from the food area. If there's nothing else happening that week, go.

Carol

o

Rhode Island's is a nice breath of spring if you don't live too far away but not worth driving two hours each way as I did.

The original Boston show was cancelled due to funds but there is a new, smaller version that is very nice, again, if you live within an hour or so. Hope they can increase the size. This was a high point of my garden year--and a lot of others too.

o

I've been to the RI show the past four years. I don't live very far away at all. The first year I was of course in awe. But I have to say that, to me, each year has gotten a little less impressive. Fewer displays, fewer vendors, fewer programs. I will probably still go again this year, but it seems to be reflecting the wave of the economy at the moment.

o

I really love the RI show. There are often good presentations by garden writers, so I pick a day when there's at least one talk I want to see. The exhibits are less overwhelming than at the Boston show (when it was going strong) which leaves you wishing for more but is usually just enough to make it seem like spring is on its way.

I've seen some of my favorite garden writers at this show, and always find a new book or two that I just have to have. The "marketplace" is fun as well.

The lecture schedule isn't on line yet, but I'll start checking it in January.

o

I agree with DTD - the talks at RI are pretty good. I too look at what talks are being held and plan to go the best day for the talks. Providence has some nice restaurants and the driving/getting there isn't as hectic as Boston.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here