Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
evonnestoryteller

Free Burlap Bags?

evonnestoryteller
15 years ago

Is there any such thing anymore? I wanted to cover up some of my shrubs. It seems like the bag method was the easiest.

Let me know if you know of possible sources.

Comments (10)

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    15 years ago

Freecycle!

Go to freecycle.org and ask. You might find someone there who has some they no longer need. Try craigslist too. Perhaps some local feed store or farm, if there are any near you?

Good luck!
    :)
    Dee

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    15 years ago

Nowadays, it seems that most "burlap" isn't the old-fashioned jute or hemp, but is made of some variety of plastic in an off-white color. We have gotten seed and lime in the new style. I much prefer the less obtrusive brown of the old style and I'd rather use natural materials for winter shrub screens so that if it escapes it will rot. Just wanted to let you know so that you can word your Freecycle or Craig's List request to make clear which kind you want.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    15 years ago

Good point, nhbabs. I don't buy lots of stuff in burlap bags, so I didn't think of it, but you are probably right. It does seem that plastic has replaced lots of things now, especially packaging, so it may be more difficult to find honest-to-goodness burlap sacks.

Several years ago I used burlap to erect screens around some plants (and was actually thinking of digging it out again to use this year again). I don't remember exactly where I got it, but I seem to recall that it was one big sheet, not bags. Perhaps I just bought some at a fabric store?? Sorry I can't remember more details for you Evonne. But good luck to you - and let us know where/if you find some!

:)
    Dee

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    15 years ago

A few years ago I bought burlap in rolls at Agway to screen shrubs. Not expensive, but still not free.

Claire

• cloud_9
    15 years ago

For reference: DH just got some burlap at the local agway. A roll of 26 feet was ~$16 if I am remembering correctly (and he told me correctly!) That works out to less than $2/yard. I don't know the width. HTH

• evonnestoryteller
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have the rolls of burlap, but they are a pain in the neck. I guess I should have done something though. We had quite an ice storm.

• Linda G (zone 6a)
    15 years ago

I got them at Building 19 last year - $1.00 each!

• evonnestoryteller
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I did a search for Building 19. We apparently don't have them in CT. Thanks for the tip though! I would have definitely done $1.00 eath! :) I finally put the burlap rolls on my plants, but could still use a few more. I will keep an eye out!

• hilary007
    12 years ago

I bought mine from Ebay and they were inexspensive. I grew up near a bean packing shed and tried to contact them for bags, no luck so far. In the mean time I did container gardening with them and the roots grew through the bag into the soil! It will be great for my sweet potatoes. Any food that is put in a burlap bag is one that is not dried. Research the growers of root vegetables. Good luck.

For compost I use the paper feed bags. For covering your plants, the burlap is a great idea.

• pixie_lou
    12 years ago

I have tons of burlap bags sitting in my basement - from buying rice in bulk at the Indian grocery store. I have no idea what I will ever use them for. But I can't bear to throw them out.

Same goes for the nylon 10 lb onion bags - have no idea what I will ever use them for, but can't bear to throw them out. They are in a pile in the basement, next to the burlap bags.