Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
claireplymouth

Fall 2011 - any Winter Moths yet?

Now is the time for winter moths to start emerging from the soil. They usually start coming out around Thanksgiving and will fly on warmish nights.

Today I saw a suspicious moth on the deck, although I think it may be a Bruce Spanworm, not a Winter Moth, after I stared for a long time at the UMass

Winter Moth Identification & Management

site.

I just read some really good news that a parasitic fly that has been released in four towns in MA is beginning to eradicate the moth. The moth has since been released in nine new sites in MA and RI.

UMass scientist ridding Hingham of leaf-gobbling pest

Has anybody else seen them this fall?

Claire

Comments (21)

• mayalena
    12 years ago

Yes, I am seeing them in MetroWest. Started to notice them last week. Last year, we had fewer than previous years. This year is looking heavier. Yuck. Go, parasitic fly!

• pixie_lou
    12 years ago

I'm also in MetroWest (Pike and 128). I'm seeing the moths - but unlike mayalena, I'm seeing a lot less than last year.

• Marie Tulin
    12 years ago

Thousands first seen about a week ago. Fluttering by the hundreds in the headlights of the car and illuminated by same in my gardens as I park.
    Dozens on the storm door.
    Worst infestation I've been aware of here.
    \Anything to do with extended spring here?

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm hoping that the latest UMass Landscape Message which is due to be posted tomorrow, Dec. 2, will have more information on the emergence of winter moths in MA.

The last Landscape Message (November 4, 2011) said

"Winter Moth caterpillar numbers were higher than expected this last spring in much of eastern MA and that suggests that the numbers may be higher still for next spring. However, there was an extended drought period of 4-5 weeks this last summer followed by unprecedented amounts of rainfall starting in late August and going into October. It is not known what these two effects had (if any) on winter moth survivability in the soil as pupae. Adult emergence will start to occur around mid-November and the numbers of adult moths at that time will be a fairly good indicator of caterpillar numbers early next spring. No controls are recommended nor effective against the adult moth stage of this pest."

Claire

• ginny12
    12 years ago

I have never had winter moths at my house north of Boston tho other parts of my town have reported them. But this year I have LOTS. Driving home in the dark on Saturday, I couldn't believe the number I saw with my headlights. Our poor trees and after all that storm damage at Halloween.

• pixie_lou
    12 years ago

That is so odd that everyone else is seeing tons of winter moths, but I'm not seeing many. Last year - literally I could not open my front door without a gazillion moths flying in. But this year, it's typically 5 or 6 hanging out by the front door light.

I had 1 maple tree truly decimated by the moths last spring and a patio covered in caterpillar poop. So I'm a bit surprised that I'm seeing so few moths. Who knows. Knock on wood.

Original Author
    12 years ago

pixie_lou: Are you near Wellesley? That's one of the towns where the parasitic flies were released during the first round. I really hope that's your answer.

Claire

Original Author
    12 years ago

I just tracked down the original Sept. 7, 2011 news release from UMass concerning the parasitic flies. I'm more comfortable with this than with a report in a local paper with a reporter acting as the middleman. It still sounds good.

UMass Amherst Entomologists Begin to Control Winter Moth Infestation in Eastern Massachusetts

Claire

• pixie_lou
    12 years ago

claire - yep. Neighboring town. But on the Wellesley side.

Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey, pixie_lou, you may be the first kid on your block to have parasitic flies! (that's a lot better than it sounds)

The original four towns are Falmouth, Hingham, Seekonk and Wellesley - does anyone who lives in or near these towns have a reduced number of winter moths?

Claire

Original Author
    12 years ago

The December 2, 2011 Landscape Message is out, but doesn't mention the parasitic flies report.

They do say:

"Thus far this November, winter moth emergence has been quite substantial and more are expected within the next couple of weeks, especially if the nights remain as warm as they have been in recent weeks. This portends a large population of winter moth caterpillars early next spring, excluding any unforeseen events that may diminish the population numbers over the winter."

Reported by Robert Childs, Extension Entomologist, Plant, Soil and Insect Sciences Department, UMass, Amherst.

Claire

• pixie_lou
    12 years ago

claire - I think you are right. I must have parasites!

• bfrederick
    12 years ago

I'm in Swansea, right next to Seekonk. We still have tons of the moths right now, but relatives of mine in Seekonk report reduced numbers. So maybe the wasps will be succussful but take awhile to spread.

Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, bfrederick! That seems to be the pattern the scientists have been seeing. They release the flies with no apparent effect for a few years, but then the fly population slowly and relentlessly builds up and finally brings the winter moth population to a low level.

It worked in Nova Scotia and the Pacific Northwest, and it should work in New England too.

Claire

• diggingthedirt
    12 years ago

I'm in Falmouth, but I've been out of the country (for work) until last night. I saw plenty of moths tonight, walking around the neighborhood, but can't really say how the numbers compare with previous years.

Also, I'm not sure (because I haven't read about it yet) what stage of their development is interrupted by the parasites. It may be that the number of moths this fall will not correlate with the level of damage we will see in the spring, if the parasites attack the larvae - which seems probable.

Original Author
    12 years ago

The parasites do attack the larvae:

"The researchers marked an important milestone during field work this summer and last, when they recovered winter moth larvae recently parasitized by C. albicans, the parasitic fly, at sites in the four towns. The evidence indicates that the flies had successfully overwintered and are now actively preying on the moth's young."

Claire

• jardinista
    12 years ago

I'm in the town next to Wellesley and I've got TONS of winter moths this year. More than I remember of the last few years. Need those parasistic flies to do their thing.

Original Author
    12 years ago

There's hope, jardinista. As DtD was implying, even though there may be hordes of winter moths this year and they lay hordes of eggs which hatch into hordes of caterpillars/larvae, the parasitic flies may dine happily on those caterpillars and most of the caterpillars will never grow up to become moths.

Claire

Original Author
    12 years ago

And, hopefully, the caterpillars will die before they've destroyed too many trees. The adult moths don't do that much damage; it's the larvae that are the main defoliators.

Claire (who sometimes posts before finishing a thought)

• pixie_lou
    12 years ago

jardinista - I guess all the parasitic flies came to my house! FWIW - I'm on the NW side of Wellesley. I had been seeing a few moths a week or 2 ago, but I haven't seen a moth in a couple days now. There may be hope for my maple trees after all!

Original Author
    12 years ago

There's an article today in the online Cape Cod Times,
    Invasion of winter moths under way, that says:

"Flies spray tiny "micro-eggs" on leaves that are then eaten by the caterpillars. When the caterpillar pupates, the fly hatches and consumes its host from within. It emerges from the moth's hardened case in the spring to mate and lay eggs."

This may mean that we'll have another bad season even if the caterpillars eat the fly eggs next spring. If the eggs wait for the caterpillars to pupate before hatching, then the caterpillars will still be able to defoliate leaves, but when they pupate next fall they won't wake up next winter.

Claire