Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prairiemoon2

What are you most looking forward to for Thanksgiving Dinner?

Any special recipes that you make every year? Something someone brings that is always a hit? Do you have the same thing every year, or do you change it up? Will anyone be traveling far on Thanksgiving?

We will be home. Having a traditional Turkey dinner with all the fixin's. We seem to be planning way too much food, but are planning on sending most of it home with everyone. Daughter is trying a new recipe this year, Pumpkin Bread Pudding.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Comments (13)

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    11 years ago

A happy Thanksgiving to you also!

I'm most looking forward to seeing family, but the food is always ample and well-cooked. We do my husband's side of the family on Thanksgiving, and there's always some variety. Depending on who brings what, different recipes get used for things like stuffing, potatoes, appetizers, and different choices for veggies. My MIL makes a great turkey, though. My mom always served the exact same meal, but I enjoy the variety.

My parents-in-law are a few miles up the road from us, but others in the family travel further, so we tend to make a weekend of it with a couple of days of group cooking, playing games, chatting, going for walks down the road or through the woods. I'm truly blessed with my inlaws who are wonderful people.

• singleton165
    11 years ago

Happy Thanksgiving!
    I'm visiting a friend in No. Carolina this year, she asked us if there's anything particular we wanted with the meal...my BF listed the basics. LOL My favorite is homemade stuffing and gravy, it's not the sorta thing I would make any other time of the year.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    11 years ago

Mashed potatoes and gravy! I don't really need anything else, lol.

Have a great Thanksgiving everyone!

Dee

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    11 years ago

I'm trying something new this year; sweet potato biscuits. Like Dee, I don't really need anything else. Except for apple pie with crystallized ginger....

I'm wishing everyone a peaceful and tasty Thanksgiving!

Claire

• defrost49
    11 years ago

I had a small squash patch this year but wanted to try some different kinds of squash. The delicata were fabulous but are already gone. We'll have Confection for dinner tomorrow. It's a good keeper and we think it's better tasting than the ButterCup we used to have. Hopefully I'll have enough time to make some squash rolls since a cousin who usually brings rolls isn't coming this year. But what I'm looking forward to most of all is LEFTOVERS! My favorite is cold turkey sandwich (dark meat) with mayo and cranberry sauce.

• carol6ma_7ari
    11 years ago

It'll be just the 2 of us, so we decided, no turkey & fixin's. Instead, shrimp stir-fry with scallions, bean sprouts, ginger etc., over brown rice. Lots of OUR OWN garlic.

Happy Txgvng--

Carol

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

HU - Well....look at that, I forgot all about this old thread. 8 years ago? Wow!

So, you are happy for Thanksgiving....what are you looking forward to? So, do you have family somewhere that you are not going to be able to get together with?

We will not be able to get together with our family. First time in our lives that will be the case. Not one Thanksgiving or Christmas that we haven't been able to get together for a holiday dinner. So I'd say that is something to be VERY thankful for. And I'm a lot older than you are. [g]. And I hadn't thought about it that way until just this minute. So you did me a favor to bring this thread up.

We are going to be making dinner, which we enjoy doing. We will have dinner ourselves but we will be delivering Thanksgiving Dinner to a couple of our kids. A small, easy, traditional dinner. I just got through making a food order.

I looked at a weather forecast and it may rain on Thanksgiving, which would make it difficult to even have a short visit outdoors with anyone, but the forecast is wrong a lot, especially when it's an early one.

So, what are you looking forward to HU?

• HU-155618363
    3 years ago

I do have family I live with them

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Oh....so you are looking forward to the dinner? Any particular food that is your favorite? What is your family planning? Dinner, games? Visiting?

I was thinking earlier today, wondering if anyone on GW does anything garden related for the holidays? Do you have any flowers still left in the garden for the table? Any veggies you've grown? Herbs? Pumpkins you use for cooking?

• HU-155618363
    3 years ago

I am also having pumpkin pie and turkey and ham

• HU-155618363
    3 years ago

No. I have stuff to put around my house to make it look pretty. And I am crazy too. And is this your realy name.Prairiemoon

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Oh boy, that sounds good. We are going to make a Turkey with stuffing, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, a green vegetable and cranberry sauce, with gravy of course. No pumpkin pie this year. We usually do. Instead we are making an apple ginger bread cake with cream cheese frosting and brownies. We're keeping it simple.

And we have nothing from the garden that is useable out there. Maybe some parsley and thyme for the stuffing, that's about it.