Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rose Mulching after frost

Posted by carol6ma_7ari zones 6 & 7a (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 6, 10 at 17:08

This week a killing frost finally hit the south MA coast (hurray! No more eggplants!) so after I dug up the dead veggie plants, I put a light straw mulch around my 1-year-old antique climbing rose plants. Other mulches seemed too heavy. This is de-seeded cut straw. The rose plants which were all band size (2" x 6") in the spring, all show new growth, nice red leaves and thorns and even 2 flower buds on one. Questions: is the mulch OK? And should I cut off the buds so energy goes into the plants? It seems a shame not to enjoy the last roses of summer, albeit mid-November.

I'll ask on the antique roses forum but most of them are in CA and FL. I was hoping for a New England rose grower.

Carol

Follow-Up Postings:

o
Chopped straw as mulch (was: rose mulching etc.)

I found, on a rose forum, answers & opinions about mulching roses. Most people around the country said "no mulch". But here in New England I want to at least protect the small baby rose plants from winter mud splash-up. So I got a bale of chopped straw - no seeds - and threw a bit of straw lightly around the rose plant stem, not packing it down.

Anybody else out there use chopped straw?

Carol

o
RE: Rose Mulching after frost

Just began using 'Simply Straw' this year as a mulch and as a pathway cover - thanks to runktrun mentioning it earlier this year. I gleaned advice from a rosarian recently who stated that she would not mulch roses here in central CT until at least Thanksgiving in order to have the plants benefit from as much rainfall/slush as possible before the ground freezes. Also learned that rose plants, in general, benefit from receiving 3.5 gallons of water per week. Additionally, the 3 of my 6 KO roses that have been deer-pruned are suffering a lack of height and growth because deer saliva poisons the plant. The plants not pruned by Bambi's mouth are 4' tall and blooming. I plan on mixing the seedless straw with my finely shredded leaf mulch and pack the little darlings for a long winter's nap right around turkey day - and after all the deer netting is in place!

I like using the straw, Carol, purportedly, as it decomposes, it'll boost the nitrogen level. Green is good.

Kindly,
Jane

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here