Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edlincoln

When is it too late to plant in Massachusetts?

edlincoln
9 years ago

Specifically, when would it be too late to plant American holly, wintergreen, and bulbs (liatris, allium) in Zone 6 Massachusetts? Would Thanksgiving be too late?

I struggle with this issue every year.

In the past I've had good luck planting Blue Princess holly after Christmas, but last year I tried switching to Ameican holly (Ilex opaca) and it didn't go well.

Comments (3)

• gardenweed_z6a
    9 years ago

I'm just 2 miles south of the MA state line and I consider it too late once November rolls around even though the ground doesn't generally freeze for another 6-8 weeks. If the plants are dormant when you set them in the ground, it shouldn't really matter since they aren't going to start growing again until next March or April anyway.

I've never planted anything after Thanksgiving but am guessing that would be an "iffy" call. My rule of thumb has always been mid-October for planting perennials altho' I've never planted anything on your list other than liatris and I planted that in spring.

When in doubt, one year I did plant more than a dozen winter sown perennials in gallon pots that I set into a deep trench that I then filled in around the pots with dirt. Didn't lose a single thing that road. Just another option.

• edlincoln
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I've purchased Blue Princess Holly around Christmas to use as a decoration and planted it after Christmas and it usually survives. Last year I tried with American Holy (Ilex opaca) and it was a total failure.

I plant clearance bulbs around Thanksgiving and some survive...never sure if the fact that they weren't all surviving was the planting time, the fact they were bargain bulbs, or squirrels.

I transplanted a Rose of Sharon volunteer last Halloween and it survived...barely.

These were all things I risked because they were cheap or "recycled" though.

Spring is always so insanely busy, and my "To Do" list for Spring is already getting too long to be practical...I always want to plant a few things in Fall.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

It would be better if you planted earlier in the fall or at least mulched the area well where you plan to plant so that the ground stays warm and roots will grow better. I have planted things as late as Thanksgiving with good survival rates, but they weren't evergreen. They were bulbs and perennials. I would definitely plan to give any late planted evergreens a burlap screen and perhaps a spray of antidesiccant to help prevent dehydration for your holly. I would also definitely mulch well after planting to help prevent freeze-thaw cycles and heaving throughout winter and spring. That will give your late-planted items the best chance of survival, though it may not be enough.