Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
runktrun

Barking up the Right Tree

runktrun
15 years ago

Now that most of the trees have dropped their leaves each of their sculptural profiles have become more prominent. As we zoom out and away from the structure of any tree and then zoom into focus on the bark we are reminded once again how some trees attractive skin offers year round interest. In my opinion the most beautiful in this category that grows in my neck of the woods is the paper bark maple, my Stewartia pseudocmellia that it is aging is beginning to develop a molted bark of gray, green and tan, as it exfoliates, my love for the high bush blueberry is hardly limited to its berries as its bark is stunning. Oh yea my mature wisteria standard has outstanding bark but frankly I canÂt recall a single Viburnum that has any bark interest at all..so what trees/shrubs are barking loudly in your landscape? Kt

Comments (8)

• viburnumvalley
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Now runk, do you expect to make a remark like that and it not resonate all the way to the Ohio River valley?

You obviously don't have enough viburnums!

Viburnum rufidulum (rusty blackhaw) will develop quite nice blocky alligator-hide type bark, like some older Cornus florida. Viburnum molle (Kentucky viburnum) doesn't even need much age. Its bark starts exfoliating when young, much like Hydrangea quercifolia (oakleaf hydrangea), though it is a darker color of deep brown to blackish.

I'd have to ask for this subject to be divided into categories. There is so much to be said in so many venues - oh, OK, since you asked...

Peeling/exfoliating: the aforementioned Acer griseum is fabulous. Less well-known (but outstanding in the field) is another trifoliate maple, Acer triflorum. I'll throw in Corylus fargesii, Syringa pekinensis, and Hydrangea petiolaris ssp. anomala as good representatives.

Flaking/exfoliating: Right up there with the many fine Stuartia spp., I'd venture that others are growing Cornus mas, Cornus officinalis, or Cornus kousa. Maybe some have old Zelkova serrata, or even Parrotia persica. But, has anyone Pseudocydonia sinensis, Davidia involucrata, or Maackia amurensis to share?

Smooth/gray: Fagus grandifolia and other beech are the grandest, but it is hard to overlook Cladrastis kentuckea in this department. Equally sensuous are many Magnolia spp., Ilex opaca, Hamamelis virginiana, and Amelanchier spp. Rarer still are such gems as Tetradium daniellii, Ptelea trifoliata, and Acer maximowiczianum.

Striped/striated: Immediately to mind comes the group of striped maples, including the native Acer pensylvanicum and imports like Acer davidii and Acer tegmentosum. Less well-known species include Staphylea trifolia, young Halesia tetraptera and Cornus alternifolia and Stephanandra incisa.

Whew! You struck a chord (alright, a veritable symphony) there.

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    15 years ago

Viburnum, what an excellent list! Great for reference.

Kt, Not very glamorous selections, but yesterday I was actually caressing one of my birch trees thinking how beautiful the smooth white bark is. After that, I found myself fondling a beech tree! Good thing the neighbors weren't watching!!

• runktrun
    Original Author
    15 years ago

time, You tree hugger!!!
    VV,
    I suppose you were able to hear my derogatory whispers about the lack of grandeur when it comes to the bark of a viburnum because when I posted that I was traveling a little closer to your neck of the woods in the Shenandoah Valley (if you looked to the east yesterday I ws the one waving hello), I am now in Asheville NC. Its been interesting traveling during the tail end of fall, for example coastal I95 Ct was still holding on to a good majority of leaves giving off a golden glow, I found the same thing in central NJ, but once in to PA the native landscape appeared barren of foliage this continued through western VA but once I reached the Va., Tenn., NC, corner there was a dramatic change with understory plants, vines, and grasses, still for the most part different shades of green.
    Viburnum molle (Kentucky viburnum) doesn't even need much age. Its bark starts exfoliating when young, much like Hydrangea quercifolia (oakleaf hydrangea), though it is a darker color of deep brown to blackish. This must be a real beauty when highlighted by a blanket of snow. Flowering? Berries?
    I'd have to ask for this subject to be divided into categories Great idea but it does make me wonder if your sock drawer is color coded.
    Peeling/exfoliating: Acer triflorum I wasnt familiar with this one its nice and I learned it is one of the few trees to develop good fall color in shade Hydrangea petiolaris ssp. Anomala I dont know why I pay such little attention to climbing Hyrangea perhaps because I have them growing up trees and competing with their bark, I agree great bark just not a great show for me. I know it is not relevant to most of us in North America but my hotel wont let me upload any photos so I am limited to posting examples of what I already have in photo bucket acct.
    Rainbow Eucalyptus Eucalyptus deglupta

Flaking/exfoliating Zelkova serrata Now again another tree I had to look up Zone 5-8 some things I learned about this one were Good shade tree; easy fall cleanup; tolerant of heat, drought, wind, and urban conditions; good replacement for American elm; easy to transplant; good street tree. Parrotia persica another one with good fall folige. Now I took this photo of a tree in Guatemala and for the life of me I cant recall its name but something having to do with a saw comes to mind.

Now here is a Palm Tree in Costa Rica (look close down the middle) would you classify this as Flaking/Exfoliating or smooth/gray?

I didnt know how to classify this Chorisia speciosa Monkey-No-Climb tree I came across in Southern Fla. are the thorns part of the bark or considered something different.

Striped/striated Now here is an example of climbing what I believe is a Black Oak . As you can imagine in the fall there is so much going on between the oak bark and hydrangea vine that it not something the eye typically will rest on.

Smooth/gray: Now I have to admit the only one in this category that I love is Fagus grandifolia it reminds me of seal skin.
    Christchurch NZ

The skin of this Kwanzan cherry tree is so thin that the circular damage was caused by a young kids sneaker! The split down the middle from late winter/early spring freeze/thaw.

Thought I would share these photos I took last spring when trun was cleaning out our duplex bird house the one side was home to a woodpecker family that used Pitch Pine Bark for their nest pretty cool recycled use, note the discarded egg and stuffed animal ear from toy basil our dog stole and buried in the yard..must have left ear exposed. The other side of the duplex I dont know who occupied it but as they raided my moss garden I would say it was probably a #@%* Robin.

• diggingthedirt
    15 years ago

That's some beech tree!

I'd have to say my favorite of all time is crape myrtle (sorry you northerners, I know it's not hardy in most of New England). It essentially has no bark, and the smooth, light colored 'skin' on the muscular trunks is positively glamorous in winter. After an especially harsh winter, I left a bare one standing until it leafed out in July, because it was so beautiful without its leaves.

This one isn't mine, but it gives you the idea:

{{gwi:1097712}}

• WendyB 5A/MA
    15 years ago

Well, there's whats referred to as the "northern crape myrtle", Heptacodium miconioides

{{gwi:1097714}}

• WendyB 5A/MA
    15 years ago

Also known for its bark is Carya ovata, the Shagbark hickory. There are several growing around here. I find the leaves very coarse, and I often am pulling out seedlings, but surely this would be exceptional winter interest:

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    15 years ago

That hickory is amazing! I've never seen one.

Not as flashy, but still nice in winter is good old Juniperus virginiana (Eastern Red-Cedar). The old ones get interesting bark as well as a multitubular structure.

Claire

• diggingthedirt
    15 years ago

Yes, heptacodium has really interesting peeling bark. Mine are too skinny for the bark to make much of an impact yet, but I'm looking forward to seeing what they turn into when they have a little more of a presence. My old oakleaf hydrangeas have pretty cool peeling bark too, and I think some of the climbers do as well.