Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ginny12first

Christmas house tours?

ginny12
17 years ago

Are there any Christmas house tours in your area? Or other such events gardeners might be interested in? The Globe used to publish such info but not since they are having financial problems. I really enjoy these tours and always get good ideas. Maybe we can make a list here.

Comments (20)

• york_rose
    17 years ago

I don't know of one locally, but then, I live in Lynn. I know there's at least one on the North Shore because I went on it years ago (Marblehead?? Ipswich????)

Did the Globe discontinue the regular Gardening column because of $$$ problems? That decision never did make sense to me, but I never thought about the money angle, and I know newspapers are dying slowly.

• ginny12
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yes, they are in dire straits financially and have cut out many features and columnists, including gardening.

And tho a town may have a Christmas house tour one year, unfortunately that doesn't mean it will happen the next year. These things are staffed by volunteers so they vary from one year to another. I just haven't seen any mentioned this year yet--they are a lot of work to put on and several years ago, many, many groups got their events spoiled by a major snow storm the first weekend in December. I think people got their fingers burnt and didn't want to plan their annual budget around an event that could get snowed out.

• diggingthedirt
    17 years ago

We have them in Falmouth, but I have to admit I've never gone to one:

The West Falmouth Library 30th annual Holiday House Tour & Boutique on Sunday, December 10th from 12Â4 p.m. Tickets are $25.00. Tour seven North & West Falmouth homes & buildings with character actors from the Falmouth Historical Society in place in several historic sites.

Then there's this weekend's "Holidays-By-The-Sea" weekend, mostly chamber of commerce stuff, but includes: Museums on the Green (historic society) Open House, the village Bed and Breakfasts have a House Tour, and Highfield Hall, a newly-restored historic mansion has several events (music, art, decorations etc).

Here is a link that might be useful: falmouth holiday events

• judyefd
    17 years ago

A friend has asked us to join her on a holiday tour of the Lyman Estate in Waltham this weekend. Below is a link to Historic New England home page. On the right is a link to the "Deck the Halls" Lyman Estate event, and at the bottom of the home page is a link to a discount coupon. I'm hoping they'll accept it for this special event!

Judye

Here is a link that might be useful: Historic New England

• ginny12
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for those suggestions. And the paper this morning listed two. One in Salem MA this Sat and Sun. Info on historicsalem.org The other in Plymouth MA, also this weekend--forget which day(s). Both sound good. I love our old historic towns decorated for Christmas, even tho the Puritans never did!

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    17 years ago

Plymouth events this weekend.

FRI.-SUN.
    DEC.01-03
    10:00 AM - 9:00 PM Festival of Trees
    The Festival of Trees takes place at Plimoth Plantation in Plymouth Friday, December 1 to Sunday, December 3. More than 50 spectacular decorated trees will be on display. Entertainment, daily visits with Santa, a cocktail party and an unique gift shop.

General admission is $5 for adults, $4 for seniors and $2 for children under 12. Call (781) 834-7281 for details or visit www.cranberryhospice.org/festival.
    Plimoth Plantation
    Plymouth $5.00
    (781) 834-7281

FRI.-SUN.
    DEC.01-03
    5:00 PM - 8:00 PM Christmas on North Street
    The Mayflower Society House of Plymouth will be holding "Christmas on North Street" through December 3. Ten rooms of the antique mansion will be decorated for the holidays. Decorations and gifts will be available for purchase. Tickets are $7. The hosue is located off North Street at 4 Winslow Street in Plymouth.
    Mayflower Society House
    4 Winslow Street, Plymouth $7.00

FRI.
    DEC.01
    5:00 PM - 9:00 PM Christmas in Historic Plymouth
    Christmas in Historic Plymouth, sponsored by the Plymouth Kiwanis in down Plymouth on Friday, December 1, from Shirely Square. There will be carolers, Santa, illumination of two Christmas trees and more. Call (508) 830-1040 for details.
    Downtown Plymouth
    Plymouth FREE
    (508) 830-1040

Claire

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    17 years ago

Two places in Portsmouth, NH:

NINTH ANNUAL HOLIDAY HOME TOUR will be held from 4 to 8 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 10. Tickets are $15 each and are available at Ambrosia Garden, Area Kitchen Centre, Dinnerhorn Restaurant, The Flower Kiosk, Hannaford Supermarket, Patrix Salon, Sheraton Harborside Hotel Portsmouth, all three elementary schools, middle and high school. This self-guided tour showcases nine lovely homes throughout the city of Portsmouth, all decked out and ready for the holidays. The Holiday Home Tour benefits the Portsmouth Education Partnership (PEP), a collaborative program among the Portsmouth elementary schools, providing funds and resources for afterschool enrichment programs. 430-0720, 430-0051.

Also, Strawbery Banke, a museum of historic buildings in Portmouth, has their buildings decorated for the holidays and also have candle light tours on the weekends in Dec.

Portsmouth has lots of great restaurants as well as a variety of fun shops, so it would be quite possible to make a full day or even a weekend excursion.

Here is a link that might be useful: Strawberybanke Museum

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

Oh-oh, I was late looking this up and it's today:

26th Annual Holiday House Tour

The Friends of The Mark Twain House & Museum will hold its 26th Holiday House Tour on Sunday, December 3, 2006, from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.

The tour will feature Mark TwainÂs 19-room home at 351 Farmington Avenue in Hartford along with the Town and County Club at 22 Woodland Street in Hartford and several historical and architecturally impressive private homes in West Hartford and Hartford. Each home will be decorated for the holidays and will feature live music and floral arrangements. The Twain mansion will be decorated for a late 19th century Christmas with the Samuel Clemens family.

Definitely worth it if you haven't been. The governor's mansion on Prospect street is usually open as well.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Mark Twain House Holiday House Tour

• sedum37
    17 years ago

Just thought I'd mention that you can visit The Breakers, Marble House and The Elms of Newport, RI decorated for Christmas. Most of the rooms on the tour were decorated with a Christmas tree and swags on the mantels plus many poinsettas. We went Saturday and had a great time! The crowds weren't bad at all and it was great to get into our favorite restaurant with ease.

Here are a few photos. Note that if you go they only allow photos in The Breakers main hall and of course on the grounds which weren't decorated much.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Newport Christmas 2006 (Photos)

• sedum37
    17 years ago

I saw this one over on www.bostongardens.com that looks interesting. Check out this website frequently for garden tours:

Easton Garden Club's 2006 Christmas House Tour

Saturday, December 09, 2006 - Sunday, December 10, 2006

The Easton Garden Club will host Easton's 2006 Christmas House Tour on Saturday, December 9th from 2:00 pm to 7:00 pm and Sunday, December 10th from 11:00 am to 4:00 pm. Four beautiful Easton homes will be decorated in styles reflecting Holidays Around the World. The Garden Club members decorate to showcase the homes' architecture and decor as well as to represent the show's theme. Fresh greens will be sculpted into vibrant garlands, topiaries and centerpieces to adorn the indoors and exteriors of each home. Greenery and other decorations may be purchased at a Greens Sales to be held at one of the homes on the days of the Tour. Tickets may be purchased in advance through the Garden Club's Web site or by telephone. Ticket prices are $22 if purchased by November 25 or $25 at the door.

The event will be held rain or shine. Please note that cameras, high heels and smoking will not be permitted and the homes are not handicap accessible. The tour is appropriate for adults.

6 Reagan Road, 19 Flyaway Pond Drive, 16 Cornerstone Drive and 5 Jennifer Way
    Easton , MA

Sponsor: Easton Garden Club
    Time(s): 12/9, 2 p.m. to 7p.m.; 12/10, 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
    Cost: $25.00
    Phone: 781-344-1039
    info@eastongardenclub.org
    http://www.eastongardenclub.org/

• ginny12
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for those, Sue. They both sound great. Have been to Newport at Christmas several times and it is all you would expect.

Here's another: This Saturday, Dec. 9, in Newburyport, 10-4. Sponsored each year by a historical group called The Maritime Society. They have their headquarters in that wonderful granite building downtown on the Merrimack. Info at www.themaritimesociety.org

I have been on this one several times. I love Newburyport and there are lots of restaurants and shops, and truly wonderful windowboxes full of seasonal greens.

• sedum37
    17 years ago

Ginny I had figured that you had been to Newport. It was our first time going for Christmas and it was better than I expected! Also did you see that Blithewold is decorated for Christmas? Have you been in past years? I had such a good time at the Daffodil Days at Blithewold this past Spring I imagine this would be fun to do. Well something to save for next year...

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Blithewold Christmas Link (Bristol, RI)

• ginny12
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I have been to Blithewold a couple of times at Christmas. It's one of the best in New England, IMHO. Two-story tree and many, many other decorations. Great gift shop. Tea, for an extra fee. And in mild RI, the grounds are still lovely to stroll and to admire tree and shrub structure in winter, and all the evergreens, and on the water. Definitely something to look forward to. If I lived closer, I'd go every year but it is a hike from here.

Info at www.blithewold.org

• sedum37
    17 years ago

Ginny thanks for the recommendation on Blithewold. The pictures on the web site look stunning!

If you can stand another recommendation, I saw that Tower Hill Botanical Gardens is having a 'Holly Days' event the month of December with trees and wreaths decorated with natural Christmas decorations, music and craft programs.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Holly Days Schedule (PDF)

• sedum37
    17 years ago

Although not all Christmas house tours, the Boston Globe website today had a link to Explore New England website for Christmas festival ideas.

See link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Explore NE Christmas

• Cady
    17 years ago

The Gore Estate in Waltham (a Federalist period governor's mansion and 45-acre grounds) has Christmas house tours and festive tea lunches. You can also take your kids, rent a backpack with guide book and binoculars, and explore the grounds-- which includes a farm and gardens in replica of what may have been there in the early 19th century. In winter, you can snowshoe too, but we haven't had enough snow yet.

• sedum37
    17 years ago

There are so many house tours this time of year. Once you start looking for them they are all over the place. I've never been inside Gore Place. I've been to plant sales before. Thanks Cady!

Here is another one:
    Merrimack Valley Catholic Charities will be holding
    its Holiday House Tour "Christmas at the Faulkner Mansion"
    atop Belvidere Hill in Historic Lowell, Massachusetts on Sunday,December 10th 2006. The House Tour is Noon  4PM. A
    Twilight Tour and Cocktail Reception will be held at the mansion,sponsored by RicardoÂs Café Trattoria, from 5:30PM  8PM. For further information, please call 978-452-1421 or visit our website

www.ccab.org/mvcc.

Proceeds benefit needy families who
    receive services from Merrimack Valley Catholic Charities.

• ginny12
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Actually, the kind of tour I like best is not as common as I'd like. That is, tours of private homes with people's individual celebrations of the season, arrangements of greens and flowers and berries, collections of beloved ornaments etc etc.

The public places are fun--and some are outstanding--but there is a bit of an impersonal, almost commercial aspect to them that is not quite as attractive to me as the expression of an individual or a family.

• sedum37
    17 years ago

Yes Ginny true. I think the Easton garden club tour mentioned above is closer to what you describe than the Newport Mansions, or Blithewold etc. In fact this weekend I am touring a Victorian house in my town fabulously restored over 2 years. It is kind of fun because the house is in my neighborhood and it sat for years slowly declining now it is beautifully restored! So it will be great to finally get inside and see what the new owners have done with it and it will have Christmas and holiday decorations as well.

Sue

• ginny12
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Easton sounds wonderful. Just a bit far from me to get to this year. But I bet it will be great.