Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
runktrun

Arnoldia

runktrun
17 years ago

There is no longer any need to quietly ponder how to fill a long, cold, winter evenings. The Arnold Arboretum has generously made all past issues of Arnoldia available for reading on their website. Might be fun to pick an evening to ponder and hash around thoughts on a chosen article. Any interest/suggestions kt

Comments (9)

• diggingthedirt
    17 years ago

Great idea, Katy!

I don't find the actual issues on line yet,
    just a promise that they'll be there by "the end" of Fall '06. Then again I may be looking at the wrong page...

Here is a link that might be useful: Arnoldia at Arnold

• ginny12
    17 years ago

Arnoldia is a goldmine of valuable info about trees, shrubs and landscape history. I am a longtime member and get Arnoldia but I didn't know it was coming online. What great news! Thanks for sharing, Runktrun.

• runktrun
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Nan & Ginny,
    Here is the link to back issues...say good night to loved ones and try to turn off the computer before dawn! kt

Here is a link that might be useful: Back issues Arnoldia

• nandina
    17 years ago

Thank you, runktrun! Thank you, Arnold Arboretum...my childhood playground. Such a valuable resource! A quick search uncovered articles written by my Dad that I did not have in my collection. A pleasant surprise...

• ginny12
    17 years ago

Thanks so much for that wonderful link. I did spend some interesting hours looking up topics of interest to me. And of course it is saved for future use. What a great resource!

• runktrun
    Original Author
    17 years ago

nandina,
    What a wonderful playground you had as a child. Would mind sharing more with us? I would love to know who your dad is and what is his driving horticultural passion? Was it his influence that caused you to be interested in horticulture yourself? If all of this is too personal for you to share I certainly would understand. kt

• diggingthedirt
    17 years ago

>say good night to loved ones and try to turn off the computer before dawn!

I almost didn't make it to work today. I checked back here and found the link, and of course when I followed it, I spotted the Arnoldia issue with Franklinia on the cover.

Inside, an article on longstalk holly, which we've been discussing recently on this forum. *They* didn't mention sickly yellow winter foliage - LOL (and I'm not one to use those TLA's lightly).

So, I see what you mean, Katy, this could be a *dangerous* thing - thanks for sharing it!

Nan

• nandina
    17 years ago

runktrun,
    Would rather not post about my Dad except to say that he was a prolific garden writer.

Nan,
    I did read the interesting longstalk holly article. I had some specimen samples of them growing about my nursery. Beautiful tree! But, we had a mystery as we never planted the male form and yet the trees fruited heavily every year. The suspect male was a Japanese holly but there was no way to prove it as we grew so many holly varieties. One spring, for no apparent reason, all our mature longstalk hollies died. No insect problems, no disease problems, no drought, no unusual weather. Never did figure out the cause.

• runktrun
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Confessions
    "*They* didn't mention sickly yellow winter foliage - LOL (and I'm not one to use those TLA's lightly)."

Driven by my shock at reading a LOL from Nan as well as an intense desire to get the last laugh I posted the following else where fully expecting I would find many creditable references to at the very least match the Arnoldia article on the Long Stalk Holly. I thought certainly there must be some creditable source that sees this tree as being butt ugly. It is with great sorrow that I tell you this evening I will end the thread by writing a concession speech admitting that perhaps based on the responses it is I and I alone who own the ugly duckling of the Ilex pedunculosa world.

I am down on both knees with head bent down and arms extended honoring the genius of any and all forum members who can stand behind my evaluation of the Ilex pedunculosa - long stalk holly as being a sickly yellow leaved teen with gangly limbs forming for all too many adolescent years one butt ugly looking tree. In my neck of the woods Arnold Arboretum does indeed have a wonderful specimen but I am thinkingÂno I am certain that no other sane organization or individual can come to the same conclusion...Please share your thoughts/photos. Kt

Although too painful for me to post all of the responses the general theme wasÂ

"I want to make myself clear. I did not want to express that Ilex pedunculosa is ugly. I do not know. I have not seen a grown plant around here. What I was saying was that since I've had no luck in my efforts to grow Ilex pedunculosa, I am (let's say) receptive to the idea that it is "butt ugly." That way, when someone asks, "Hey, have you tried growing Longstalk Holly?" I can say, "Nah, why would I want to grow that butt ugly plant?" which is somehow better than saying, "Yes, but it died. And then I tried it again, and it died again. Thinking the third time would be a charm, I yet again swung and missed, and had to take that long shameful walk back to the dugout while being booed and heckled."

Or after posting a photo of my Ilex pedunculosa here were a few other responsesÂ

"Yep--that's ugly. Mine aren't nearly so ugly as that."

"The only plant that I can honestly say that I have seen is a 15 footer out at Longwood Gardens. While not a showstopper, it was not ugly."

"I don't know, I must say that mine aren't that ugly. Although they did take a while to start filling in and looking somewhat full."

KtÂMother of the ugliest duckling