Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Big Honkin' Buds on my rhody

Posted by deanna_in_nh 5a/4b (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 8, 11 at 20:15

My gut tells me this is not good, right?

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Big Honkin' Buds on my rhody

Hi,
Not sure why you think there's a problem. I see lots of buds for next season's vegetative growth, which is good. I don't think there are any flower buds, because those are generally much rounder and fatter than what I see in your photo, although certain varieties and species do have somewhat smaller buds even for flowers. By any chance did you cut this one back later in the season? That could deter flower bud formation. If you need to trim back rhodies, as well as azaleas, for any reason, this should be done as soon as the flowers have faded, thereby giving the plants the entire growing season to form the following springs flower buds. Many people make the mistake of trimming these during midsummer or later, and essentially they are throwing next springs flowers into the waste pile. Same goes for most early blooming shrubs, such as forsythia, lilacs and many others.

o

Your rhodie look fine to me. As Bill said, it has lots of buds for vegetative growth. I've noticed that these shrubs will make buds for next years leaves and flowers by late summer. Mine are loaded with flower buds this fall and I expect it will be an excellent display next Spring, as long as they don't suffer too much winter damage.

o

This looks like a very healthy shrub with lots of leaf buds rather than flower buds. There are several reasons why there are no flower buds--young plant, weather, etc. I wouldn't worry.

Maybe next year give it fertilizer in the spring when you see other rhododendrons blooming. They set the next year's buds not too long after blooming. And always mulch rhododendrons and water if it is a very dry season.

o

I'm wondering if Deanna is worried because the buds are starting to swell with our unseasonable warm weather. I wouldn't worry, however, since if these get damaged, the plant will make new leaf buds next spring, and in my experience, even if the outside of the buds look damaged, the leaves will still form normally.

o

Thank you! I feel much better now. I thought for sure I was getting flower buds from the warm weather. I did cut it back, but I cut it before the brown flowers had fallen off, so I know I didn't do any damage to next year's buds.

Thank you!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here