Interesting

ego45
13 years ago

Open the link below

Here is a link that might be useful: Pooktre

Comments (17)

• diggingthedirt
    13 years ago

Wow, Geo, that's quite amazing. I like the chair ...

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    13 years ago

Extremely clever, but the process makes me a bit uneasy, just as pollarding and pleaching do. Is this a very, very sophisticated version of poodle-clipping topiary?

To me all of these practices are an affront to the basic nature of a tree.

Claire

• bill_ri_z6b
    13 years ago

Claire, I like a natutral look and on the one hand I agree with you. But on the other hand this just shows me how insignificant nature sees us.......despite our efforts, the trees happily go about their business of living and growing.
    Bill

• diggingthedirt
    13 years ago

I'm with you, Claire, these are just a little .. creepy. But if I could grow a chair like that, out of a "junk tree" perhaps, I'd do it.

• corunum z6 CT
    13 years ago

I agree with Claire. Well stated: "affront to the basic nature of a tree".

• spedigrees z4VT
    13 years ago

While I dislike "ordinary" pruning of any tree or shrub, and prefer the graceful look of untrimmed natural foliage, I sort of like that tree chair. It looks like an elvish furnishing straight out of Tolkien.

Thanks for posting the photo, digging, because I would not otherwise have seen it. I never open a link unless it is accompanied by a text excerpt or explanation of some kind or a photo from the site.

It took a very short time (relatively speaking) for that tree to transform into a chair. I shall have to peruse the instructions...

• spedigrees z4VT
    13 years ago

Well it looks like the instructions for making the living chair will only be revealed in detail in the website owners' book, awaiting publication.

I do agree that the human figures molded from trunks of living trees are indeed creepy! I really like only the chair! Perhaps two trees could be molded into an arbor/entranceway. That might be something else I would like the look of.

• pixie_lou
    13 years ago

At the DeCordova Museum in Lincoln, in the Sculpture Park - some artist planted a row of trees, but as they grow, he is somehow molding the trees together to make a fence/banister.

Apparently the National Endowment for the Arts think that manipulating trees is worthwhile as they are funding this installation.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bannister Trees at the DeCordova

• ego45
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OK, below is the link to the Wiki article about Axel Erlandson, originator of the 'Tree Circus' and creator of the famous 'Basket Tree'.

Here is a link that might be useful: Axel Erlandson

• arbo_retum
    13 years ago

george, thank you SO MUCH for linking to that! how extraordinary. I'm definitely going to those cal places when we next return there and i'm so excited!

pixie, i am so disappointyed with the NEA for granting this piece. how deadly boring (unless I'm missing something). why couldn't he really achieve something and create an arched passage or room or.............

best,
    mindy

• asarum
    13 years ago

Thanks, George! I think there should be a few trees of that sort in the world just to confound the mind. I happen to prefer the tree people to the chair.

• ginny12
    13 years ago

I can't believe it. When I saw the first trees on this thread, I thought of Gilroy Gardens in California. I went there last year with family who live in San Jose/Silicon Valley.

Someone moved the artist's trees to this very attractive spot and opened a small amusement park for small children--seven and under. Aside from the curiosities under discussion here, the plantings are quite lovely and the amusement park is just perfect for the little people, of whom we now have lots in our family.

So many of us have family in Silicon Valley that you might want to add Gilroy Gardens to your itinerary next time you're out there. The artist's daughter was there signing her account of the trees' creation when I was there last fall.

Must add that tho the trees are an amazing sight, I agree with those who prefer their trees au naturel.

PS--Gilroy is also the self-billed Garlic Capital of the World and has a garlic festival every summer. What more reason do you need?

• ego45
    Original Author
    13 years ago
  • claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    13 years ago

Hilarious!

Claire

• diggingthedirt
    13 years ago

LOL, EGO.

On a different but somewhat related topic...maybe I've mentioned this before, but there's an artist with an installation at the Brooklyn BG that I'd really love to see.
    These are built from cut saplings, not growing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Patrick Dougherty article, NYT

• pixie_lou
    13 years ago

I've never thought of myself as much of a prude, but now that I have a small child I find myself becoming prudish by the minute. When I look at that first link that ego45 posted, all I can think is how I would explain that to my 6 year old. I just don't get why someone would find it necessary to do something like that.

• diggingthedirt
    13 years ago

Why would you feel that it was necessary to explain anything about that tree/image to a 6 year old?