Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
idabean2

great prices on amaryllis at Stop and Shop

Marie Tulin
13 years ago

Stop and Shop in Lexington MA is selling decent amaryllis bulbs for 5.99. I haven't checked any other stores, but it is probably worth looking. There are about 5 colors, but most are red (Amigo), a few White Christmas, Appleblossom (pink,)Vera stippled coral, Star of Holland bright red with white star.

They are not huge, like the $20-$30 bulbs, but they are a very good size and perfectly healthy. In the box are a pot and dried coir,which you rehydrate into the potting medium. The pot is cheap and has no drainage hole. However, I poked one easily into the bottom.

I'm growing a several for myself for a big display. I'm going to give others away as small gifts.

Let me know if you find some at your local stop and shop!

Marie

Comments (6)

• pixie_lou
    13 years ago

Marie - have you had luck getting the Stop and Shop bulbs to rebloom? I've previously bought cheap bulbs at Christmas Tree Shops, but they don't rebloom the following year.

• arbo_retum
    13 years ago

pixie, you have to keep them in sun over the summer and fert. the heck out of them. in the ground is good too.

the stoneham S&S also has Cinderella- a really handsome red with stippling. i called and had them hold some for me today! yay!th. you.
    mindy

• pixie_lou
    13 years ago

Sorry I wasn't clear. My "expensive" amaryllis bulbs rebloom. My cheap ones have not.

• cloud_9
    13 years ago

pixie lou - amaryllis bulbs that are forced into bloom are stressed. The larger the bulb, the better they are going to take this stress. Smaller bulbs may not bloom the next year as they recover a bit. Proper Summer care and fertilizing gives them the best chance for reblooming. If they don't bloom the next year they should bloom the following year.

• frank_10b
    13 years ago

Its really great to buy these up here and then take them to FL. All of them will rebloom they just need lots of fertilizer, a drying out period, and then lastly, it helps if the pot is a bit cramped, but not too much! If they are smaller bulbs just let then grow for 12-18 months so that they can build up strength. They really dont need the domancy period it just caused them to bloom, without it they are attractive house plants all by themselves.

• littleonefb
    13 years ago

Market Basket has them for $4.99 this week and so does RiteAid.

They are boxed with pots, the same as the ones from Stop and Shop.

Market basket has a red, red with white star, solid white, pink dappled and a peach dappled.

Different brand in RiteAid but has the same colors.

I purchased a dappled peach and red with white star 3 years ago from market basket, same brand as this year and they have bloomed for me last year and will see if they bloom again this year.

Bulbs where a good size and the ones I saw in both Market Basket and RiteAid where good size bulbs as well.

Fran