Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yama_gw

Moss ball , not Moth ball

yama
17 years ago

Hi All

I am making moss ball. What heck is that ? It is very easy to make and can be combine with small tree, vine, ground cover or weeds.Japanese call it "kokedama" koke= moss, dama= ball.

Moss have been used to cover soil of bonsai to make bonsai look good. But this time moss is the star, main thing.

I am making many kokedama and moss on drift wood.

Unlike regular bonsai,moss bonsai and kokedama are easy to make , easy to maintain, also very inexpensive to make.

Chenging tray is so easy and you have unlimied selection( almost). Tray can be soap dish, floor tile, naural flat stone, dish( for cooking), clay soucer,

ash tray, salsa cup ( I just got it from Wall Mart for $1.50) Some soucer has differnet colors, size and again those are inexpensive $2.00 to $8,00 mast case, some nice shape and material tray are more expensive, but $ 20.00 is most expensive. Wall Mart, Target is good place to find sorcers. Don't look in garden section. home decore, craft, kichen ware sections are best place to find soucer. Selection of soucers are unlimited and inexpensive.

You don't have to have many tools too.

Within next 2 weeks or so I make at least 20 of different shape and design and take photos and post it here. I have to ask to my friend to take photos,scan and post it here. I can't take photo of process of making moss ball and moss bonsai this time.

( Some day, Cady and I may able to offer class to teach how to make it.) ..........................yama

Comments (48)

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    17 years ago

Hello yama,

I am looking forward to seeing the photos of your kokedama. Will you be keeping them indoors when they are finished? It sounds fascinating and I would love to learn how to make one. Thanks for sharing.

:-)
    pm2

• yama
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi pm2
    I finish 2 of moss balls and a bonkei today. I am making each on differntly so that you can have idea how to make it and enjoy it. Moss is basicly out door plant but you can keep it indoor if you learn how to take care of it.

Bonkei is like bonsai but tray is larger and compress landscape on the tray. you can use weeds, out of season bargen plants which offten not best shape. as well seeding of unwanted area/out of place plants. but for some reason, those not best look plants are better than best look plant on moss ball.

Your imagination is the best tool to make and enjoy moss ball. It is not required special tools to make moss ball and don't need much of skill like bonsai. You don't have to wait months nor years to have good looking moss ball. Imidiatly you will have decent look of newly created moss ball or moss bonkei less than one year you will have lovely moss ball and moss bonkei. Even you kiil it, you won't feel so bad to lose plant. you din't spend lot's of money ^^ and any time of year you can try to make kokedame/moss ball again.

When I am making moss ball, my hand is too mudy and can't take photos my self during makeing moss ball.
    Embrass to say that I am using gabage can as work bench now. ^^

To answer to your question , Yes some of them I keep indoor so that I can enjoy my self, most of them I leave outside, because I don't have space for it.
    Since We have warmer climate than New England, all moss ball, moss bonkei or moss bonsai can be outside without special protection. ..............................Yama

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    17 years ago

Yama:

Can you also work with lichen? Or is it too slow growing, or difficult?

I'm picturing lichen growing in an interesting pattern on a shrub or tree trunk.

Claire

• diggingthedirt
    17 years ago

Wow! I can't wait to make one ... or 6 or 8 of these!

Thanks, Yama, I'd never heard of a moss ball before, but they are certainly wonderful. What a great idea; we are really lucky to have you on this forum!

Here's a random pic I found via google images:
    {{gwi:75546}}

http://www.tropical-aquarium-plants.co.uk/images/moss%20ball.jpg">;

• yama
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Claire
    I 'm sorry I don't know how to grow lichen. When I see lichen on tree or shurb, it is warning sign. Some how tree or shurb are not doing well, some reason,lichen grow on troubled tree and shurb( not always). Lichen is not not harming tree or shurb, but they grow offten on troubled tree or shurb.

dd
    you have an idea. ^^
    To make it set steady, bottom is slitly flat. I am making list of plants you can grow on moss ball. It is only small portion of sugestion. You can grow many good looking weeds of New England too.

Once you see it, You will have many questions how to do it^^. I made about 10 of them. once I made 20 or so, I will show you photo of it, you will say "I want make one my self"
    Please give me time . Soon as made 20 or so, I will post photos of moss ball and moss bonsai,moss bonkei.

yama

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    17 years ago

dtd...those are some moss balls..lol. They look huge! I was thinking that yama was going to make moss balls that were the size of softballs. [g] Really neat photo dtd..thanks for posting.

yama..
    I am looking forward to seeing what you end up with when you make your moss balls. Yes, I am sure I will want to make one myself. :-)

• diggingthedirt
    17 years ago

Hmm, maybe I'm not thinking of the same thing as Yama. Maybe I'm thinking of something really impractical, too.

What I'd like to do is just grow moss on some round items - maybe hypertufa balls - up to about a foot across. A small group of them in different sizes, partly hidden in a shady corner of the garden, would be an awesome thing to come upon - a little surprise for anyone who gets that far into the garden. I suppose they'd need very regular watering - which might not be practical for my lazy mode of gardening.

I *do* love that picture, though!

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    17 years ago

I love them too...They are so large, I wonder what they have as a base. I like your plan dtd. I was thinking the moss balls would work out well right around a bird bath. That way when you are filling it, you could be sure to water those at the same time.

17 years ago

I could see a big one IN a birdbath - sort of a fuzzy green gazing globe.

Claire

• diggingthedirt
    17 years ago

Good ideas for keeping these moist, thanks. ANother idea is to have a hollow center that could be filled with water, to slowly seep through and keep the moss from drying out.

I thought that hypertufa might be a good material to use as a base, so I've posted on the hypertufa forum to see what the experts there recommend. That stuff doesn't normally appeal to me, because of its rough texture, but if it's capable of growing moss well, I'd love to give it a try.

• veilchen
    17 years ago

I would love to make some of those! Am I missing something, or do you start with a globe-shaped medium of some sort and attach real moss to it?

I started a moss garden this past summer with all kinds of shapes, textures, shades of green that I really like. A few of those moss balls would look fantastic there.

• yama
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi all
    I try my best to explain how.
    If you have plant in 2-1/2 inch pot or plug, trim off some roots and reduce size of roos ball 1/2 to 2/3 .
    plant can be vine, drawf sweet flag, mondo grass, or seedling you can find from your garden and/or weed.

moss can be any kind. I can't ID moss name. Some are nicer than other, some has fine texure and some are course texture. What ever you can find moss in your area ,should work fine.
    sheet of moss you need is about 3" wide8" long. It is not have to be one piece. you can pach "ball" with small pieces.

root ball is covered with clay soil . making clay soil wet and make it 1/4 " to 3/8 "or so thick and wrap around root ball. then wrap with sphagnum moss and tie with twine. Make it round shape butbottm can be flat.
    After put sphagnum moss place sheet of moss and tie with black thread. ( ordernary sewing thread. I like to use 100% polyester, 3ply . 1000yd thread cost only about $2,50 or so)
    If you have empty spots, use twizer to fill spot after trim off some moss's root. sharp point twizer works better.

some of moss bonsai I made is that
    I built up small mound of clay soil on top of flat stone, then covered with moss and tie it to stone to secure moss. some moss are planted on drift wood or stone. It is more than craft. It is form of art.

Picture can tell 1,000 words. After New Year day, I will post photo of my Kokedama/moss ball and moss bonsai.

After you see photo , try to make one your self....Yama

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    17 years ago

You are right, a picture is worth 1,000 words and I will wait for your photos before trying it. I am happy to hear how you do make it just to get an idea of how it is done. I would not have guessed that the interior of the ball was the root of another plant. If you use another plant root, will it start growing through the moss later?

What if you don't have much moss in your yard, can it be purchased somewhere, anyone know?

Thanks so much yama...looking forward to your photos too.
    Very fascinating and it sounds like a really fun project.

pm2

• ego45
    17 years ago

DtD, "I thought that hypertufa might be a good material to use as a base..."

Very high end nursery on Long Island, Martin Viette sells all kind of moss covered geometrical figures, balls, pyramids, conuses etc, made out of hypertufa.
    At astronomical prices, of course!
    Theoreticaly, you could grow moss on ANY surface for as long as you could make growing medium stick to that surface and provide proper watering regimen. Of course, rough texture of hypertufa is very suitable for such things.

Now to the 'sticking' part.
    I remember couple of years ago there was a thread on a Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams forum and someone [presumably in-the-know] offered recipe of 'how to' so simple that I still remember it, though never got to use it myself:
    Prepare your 'statue' by covering it by thin layer of wet soil/clay/mud. Let it dry little bid, so it will hold on a surface.
    Collect naturally growing moss from the area similarly lighted to where your 'moss object' will be located. Collect it with ample amount of native soil.
    Chop it into small pieces.
    Put it into blender (yes, the regular kitchen blender).
    Fill blender with KEFIR (semi-liquid yogurt might mork as well, but it has to be plain, no flavoring whatsoever).
    Blend everything.
    Done!
    You got a green-grey sticky 'stuff' which now you could apply on any surface you would like it to grow.
    For the first X-days (do not remember for how long) MIST your 'statue', don't water it.
    In a future try to use gentle shower or mist only.

I also just vagely remember that someone suggested that dark beer also could be used either instead or in combo with kefir, but I'm not sure about that.

• diggingthedirt
    17 years ago

Thanks, George! I remember seeing that recipe; I also remember thinking that I'd better try it when all my family members were somewhere far away. I can only imagine the reaction if they caught me putting dirt and moss into our beloved blender.

Yama, it sounds like we can make these just using a plant as the base? With the plant's roots holding the soil in the center in place, and the sphagnum and thread securing the moss to the outside surface. That seems like it will work for small spheres; I will keep looking for ideas for larger sized ones. It would be kind of fun to have some tiny, medium, and large ones - 3 generations of a mossball clan.

Maybe what appeals to me about them is the implication of motion inherent in a ball; so definitely *not* associated with members of the plant kingdom.

• cloud_9
    17 years ago

Motion? I guess Nan has forgotten that a rolling stone ball gathers no moss?

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    17 years ago

LOL

• runktrun
    17 years ago

Nan,
    You really did leave yourself wide open...but golly I can't get over how quick Deb was to post yet another one line zinger!!! One of my local nurseries (Donaromas) has a pretty impressive bonsai area (most trees in the thousands of dollars range) and I have noticed they always have plastic/flats/trays with burlap on the bottom and small amount of water with moss growing on top of the burlap. Moss will actually grow for us for most of the year. What I have been told by others when exploring the creation of a large area moss garden is regardless of your project you will always want a tray of moss growing for plugs and repairs. I bought three hypertufa balls of different sizes many years ago during a short Martha Stewart phase and painted them with butter milk or yogurt cant remember but the watering issue was a problem and no moss ever took. kt

• diggingthedirt
    17 years ago

Oh, I HOPE you don't think that you could get up in the morning and find your mossballs in the same position they were in when you went to bed. I'm quite certain they'll start regrouping the minute you look away. Doesn't that photo evoke a party? A meeting, maybe?

OK, OK, I'll admit I am partly kidding, but if those mossballs don't look to you like they're just waiting for you to look the other way so they can start rolling (or possibly hopping) around again, well, I can't say anthing that will help you.

As far as moss growing on hypertufa, I am almost hoping it doesn't, because I hate the stuff and really don't want to have to start liking it. I do like Yama's idea of using the root system of another plant as the structure, although I'm not optimistic about my ability to make something even vaguely round out of something not completely round to begin with; Martha and I don't see eye to eye on this.

So, that probably means that rolling stone balls' inability to gather moss won't be an issue, Debra. Good one, though, you ARE quick!

Interesting that moss grows directly on burlap - I wouldn't have guessed that. Hmm, maybe a burlap wrapping over a hypertufa ball, in a shallow dish that could wick the water around the ball ... hmm. As long as the dishes don't interfere with the party games ...

• cloud_9
    17 years ago

That picture makes them look like green Tribbles to me, so I can imagine them conversing in a cute trilling/purring sound.

• yama
    Original Author
    17 years ago

ego
    Few years ago I have tried mixing moss with yogurt and buttermil mix. both mix some how din't work. It could be wrong time of year, wrong mix ratio, or something else.
    When I have time I should try it again.

To make moss gorw on hard surface, like stone lantern, useing clay soil spread on suface and sheet of moss can past onto clay soil. some of moss I tied with black thread for sewing and moss stay on suface of stone ,drift wood etc. Some of stones and drift woods, I only use clay soil and not use thread to secure onto stone or drift wood.

I didn't make any hyfertufa this time. Useing only stuf you can find around your home, and able to bring into room. also able to cheng containers to make look different. Like dressing up, chenge color, size. shape, able to give different look in snap. Moss ball and plants on moss ball can'nt chenge easely. but containers.

I have tight budget or no bugdet at all, So that I am using many weeds I can find in the back yard or vacant lot. within nextfew days, I can post photos. I am going to ask a customer who is professional photographer to take photos now and again 2~3 month later.

When I design moss ball, moss bonsai, carefully use contrast of color, texure ,shape and size. I made about 20 of them. Each one made slitly different inside and out side. but if I want to chenge container, it is 1,2,3 . I can leave it outdoor or bring into any room or office.

Aftre you see photos , you can make it your self ^^.
    Best regard.
    yama

• veilchen
    17 years ago

Thank you yama for sharing this with us! I can't wait to see pics of your moss balls.

I read up on moss culture before I started my moss garden, and several experts said that the buttermilk/moss in the blender rarely works for propogating moss.

• yama
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi all
    Japanese din't have buter milk or yogrut untill late 1800' ,but we growed moss hundreds years without it. Even today most of Japanese are growing moss without buter milk. We just to know how. First few months of growing moss take some time( yours) and protection. Once moss are established, It is easy to maintain.

Once I finish Moss ball, I will post how to grow Moss on small container or on ground. If forks in New England of old money, you can order at Moss acres.

I made moss balls, also other use of moss with ordarnary container, drift wood, flat stone. Since it is inexpensive to make and so much of possibilty of create garden art wich you can enjoy. I made sample of it and going to show it for you.

Yama/mike.
    Yama is part of my last name. Mike is my nick name. I have to spell my first name very often, but no one asked me how to spell "mike" so far. In Japanese yama means mountain. In sunskrit yama means king of hell. Hehehe.

• veilchen
    17 years ago

Moss Acres is expensive.

We got permission from a private property owner who has a large wooded tract with a trail system used by the public--an abundance of moss of all shapes and colors. Several walks throughout the summer we were able to collect enough samples for my 3' x 20' assorted moss garden. We would bring a trowel, newspaper, water mister and backpack. Gently scrape the moss up (those that came up easily--we left those alone that didn't), lay on newspaper, mist with water, wrap up and stack in backpack.

Moss is abundant everywhere in the shady forest of NE. Just ask the property owner or municipality (if public) if you can take some moss.

• diggingthedirt
    17 years ago

Veilchen, do you have any photos of your moss garden? I'm growing moss in several places in my yard, but haven't developed anything (yet!) that would really qualify as a moss garden.

It amazes me how many different kinds of moss there are - one or more for any condition you can think of. It grows in sand between bricks in full sun, and in very well-drained soil at the top of a stone retaining wall, as well as in the places I expect, like along the north side of the house and in other shady and/or damp places. The different shades of green and the various textures are really fascinating - I can't walk past some of them without having to touch them.

I just ordered a couple of books: Moss Gardening: Including Lichens, Liverworts and Other Miniatures, and Gathering Moss: A Natural and Cultural History of Mosses. I'll report back when they arrive - can't wait.

• yama
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Happy New year to all
    To digingthedirt,kt and oters
    when you start to grow moss, first 6 month or so is very critical. Protecting from hard rain/wash off and sun.
    the reasons of failing growing moss are, too wet,or too dry, washed off by rain or watering, not protected from sun first few months,Most of all not have enough knowlege how to grow properly. if useing moss sheet,offten moss are not contacting to ground firmly, there for moss is dry out.

When prepare ground for growing moss, high side of ground should be made shallow trench to guide water away from moss. newly planted moss can protectedby thinly spread pine strow and shade cloth or reed fence to provide shade and also keep moist. moist in earth is not so important but moist in air. Root ofmoss) is is not true roots. moss roots do not up take water nor nurition.it only function to suport/ ancher own body to ground or suface.

stracture of shade/protection are temporary.
    If any one willing to help me and others posting my drowing of how to protect on this thread, I make drowing to show you how to do it. I dont have scaner and computer knowlege. I only know how to turne on and off computer.

Please contact me at japanesegardener1@yahoo.com

You can use old decaying log, branch to slow down speed of water. or guide water to proper direction. old log can be part of landscape providing "intrest" of moss garden as well. using simple, low split bamboo fence also can be employied. Since it is beled into landscape ,the bamboo fence can be part of landscape untill completely aged and decaied.Also setting boulders create intrest of landscape too.
    When you grow moss your self, you need to have/make some tools by your self. tools are not sold at store . if you have the tools which made by your self, tools make your work lot's easier. Making tools do not require speciale quipent or tools. Home depot or Lows will cut plywood for you with little or no extra cost. only you need is simple tool like drill,screw driver, hammer. I can't explain everything in text.
    If I can explain to you face to face or come to your garden and doing my self. It is lot's easier than writing in English^^.

Hormon type hebcide such as2,4-D can be use to enhance to grow moss...............................................
    Yama

• veilchen
    17 years ago

Ddd, no I don't have any pics. Maybe the next sunny day I will go out and take some photos because the moss stays green year-round. I only started the garden this past August so it is not "finished" yet. We collected patches of many different sorts of mosses growing in shade. First I acidified the soil with some sulfur. It is poor soil to begin with (moss likes that), on north side of house. Most parts of the moss garden receive a little morning sun, which I alleviated by placing some lawn chairs over the moss to shade it. Watered every day to keep it moist. When I "planted" each piece of moss, I stepped on it to really press it into the soil surface. I found that you couldn't do that with the mounded mosses (my favorites) without making a permanent indentation in them! so you have to mound up the soil a bit underneath them and hope they take. By mid-Sept most of the first mosses I had planted had "took", meaning they did not lift up easily when I gently tried to pry my fingers under them. The only real problem I had was by that time in Sept. the squirrels had discovered the moss and were tearing it up trying to bury their nuts. I shook out some cayenne pepper all around and solved that problem for the time being.

This fall I planted a weeping J. Maple and tree peony on the sunniest side of the moss garden, and a thalictrum on the opposite end that I am hoping will arch over the garden. A few of those moss balls yama is talking about would look outstanding there!

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    17 years ago

I am still planning on trying to make a moss ball, yama. :-) I am trying to figure out if I have enough in the yard to use. It was so beautiful out there today..sunny,warm, that I took a photo of a patch of moss I have in the yard. I may have more than one kind, I am not sure, I will have to keep looking. This is what I found today and I am not sure what kind it is. I only have a small patch of it and wouldn't want to use it for the balls.

pm2

• yama
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi all
    Sorry I am not taking photo yet. We had rain and Iam making more. I have other things to do.so this week no matter what, I stop making it and take photos.^^
    Not all moss like shade and moist feet.Some take heat and full sun.

Pm2
    your moss is ready to propagate. ^^ .your moss is almost perfect for moss bonsai and moss ball. your moss spread spore soon. spore , first they look like green algee at first stage. I am sure that You have more and different kind of moss, look carefuly and will find more.

Once I move to Salem Mass , I offer class to make moss ball and moss bonsai beside Japanese gardening.
    yama

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    17 years ago

Yama...

How exciting that my moss is developing spores! So is it possible that I could collect the spore and sow them to make more moss? How would I tell when the sprores will be ready? I will keep looking, but right now, we 'should' really have snow and 20 degree temps. This is very unusual weather and will not last much longer. We are due for a drop into the 30s next week. Everything has a layer of leaves over it for the winter, so I might find more in the spring...around March. I will keep my eye on this one though. Thanks yama :-)

• mayalena
    17 years ago

Hi Yama-san.
    I'm hooked. Sign me up. When are you moving?
    ML

• yama
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi all
    pm2
    top of moss, look like dried hot peper is called "capsule" which contain 100's of spores. boy/spore it's self can't have baby. moss have male branch and female branch side by side. male branch release sperm and egg recieve sperm then new baby moss is born.^^ I think they avoid to make baby untill weather permit. It is unlike human.^^

try to toutch moss gently, or use paint brash gently. If any of moss part come lose, that will be new moss. If those lose moss contact to soil firmly, they develpoe colony of moss. If you brake clamp of moss and make 3~ 4 pieces togather with twizer and set in moist/wet soil . That is another way to propagate in small scale. you don't have to have natunaly formed moss clamp(s) to propagate moss.( transplanting from other place)

In large area, let's dry moss and place small piece of moss between both hand/ like prayer's hand and make it moss small pieces and splinkle over wet soil.( like masaging hand aginst both hand) then step on it , or use board and tamp moss. Make sure that moss contact to eath firmly. If you have or make knee board which easy to make and not so expensive and "kakiita" make your work very easy. also knee pad save your knee and pant.

twizer have many differnt shape and size .One I like to use is straight , sharp pointed, about 5" long. Twizer wich bent at end is not easy to work with.
    After danger of frost is gone, youcan try to grow moss.
    It will take 4~6 month to moss to grow and established. first one to two month is key to sucess. moit, not wet. ground moist is not so important but moist in air. You can spray fine mist evry day for first 2~ 3 week. provide some shade if you can. Using shade cloth, reed fence etc. shade clothand reed fence over moss also help washing off of hard rain.
    sprading pine straw lightly also help.
    If you have extra time, you can tie moss on wood about 1/3 of diameter / useing sewing thread ,I like to use 100% polyester 3 ply black thread.( or any nutunal fiber twine) wood can be decayedlog branch, part of fire wood bark or stone. And place them in garden. Since moss is old enught to produce spore or egg and tied to secure, it also help to establish moss garden quickly.

When you set moss , not to fertilize moss or soil. Since moss root( it is not true root, it not function to up take water nor nutrition from ground. main fuction of moss root is suport it's body and secure to the location and hold moist. You can feed moss after moss is settled but not begining.

PH of soil.
    Don't warry about it. Moss is like pine tree. Moss can grow wide range of condition more than you can think of.
    Most populated area has low ph rain water some where between 5 to 5.5.
    without adding sulpher, you get free sulpher from air polution. Moss can grow on concreat, lime stone which is material of cement and have high ph.
    yama

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    17 years ago

Yama...it sounds like you have been working with moss for a long time. I find it fascinating and will try your instructions in the spring when the frost is past, as you suggest. I would love to have a larger area of moss and moss balls too.

Have you ever heard of winter sowing? There is a forum on GW for that. I did some of it last winter and you use milk jugs to sow seeds in winter and at the right time, they germinate. I was thinking that trying to start the moss transplants and/or spores in the milk jugs might give them that extra humidity so you wouldn't have to mist them all day in the beginning.

How fun...a new project for the spring.
    Hi Mayalena..nice to see you. :-) I am with you..sign me up! lol

yama...when are you planning on moving to Salem..any time soon?

pm2

• yama
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi all
    pm2
    You can start to grow moss indoor now. Cover over container to maintain moist in air. If you look around , without pay one peeny, you will find good containers. plastic container of cake, take out food container form first food restaurant, vegetable, fruits plastic bag etc. "many stuff normaly throw away without thinking" can be use to grow moss. Tool you need is your imagination.

You can find a small sprayer from Auto part store,groscery
    store, Kmart, Wall mart. If you save tile cleaner container,window cleaner or inddor pesticide container, those sprayer work good as gift of god.^^

I sugest to keep record what ever you do/did. The record will help you later.
    Many Univercities, USDA.Every one of State have been conductiong reserch of agriculture or for Nusery industry but not moss culture. Moss is not giving any economical impact to our society.so that not many large scale study is not conducted. Your note will help you to grow moss better.

We have been using moss for Japanese garden for long time.( I am a professional gardener)I had to learn how to grow moss. Learning from elder coworker or boss wasn't enough to know all about moss. Biology text book for college is very useful to learn moss. Some text book is better than others. Moss books are also goog information source.

Happy gardening............yama

17 years ago

If you've got lots of money to spend, or have a bout of temporay insanity, you could put moss on the Loch Ness Monster.

Claire

Here is a link that might be useful: Loch Ness Monster

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    17 years ago

yama...

Yes, I would love to do that this winter...I guess I didn't think I would have spores ready to plant that soon from the moss I posted a photo of. Especially if the weather turns cold again. I didn't think I could find any for sale anywhere.

I have plenty of containers. I have spray bottles. I just thought you couldn't let it dry out and needed an automatic misting system. NO? I like the idea of keeping a record. I always get the best results when I track things well like that. I will check the library for a book on moss too..hadn't thought of that.

Thanks for all the input yama. :-)

Claire...that is an adorable form to grow something on.[g]
    Not in my budget any time soon..lol. I am trying to remember if I have seen it somewhere. Thanks for posting that. :-)

• yama
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi all
    claire.^^ I will find the way to grow moss without ton of money. monster dragon can be done with moss, seriously. I look into it.

pm2
    I am trying to grow moss without spending any money.now Experiencing growmss indoor in first food container and cake. Sand came from near by lake shore, soil are scraped off from backyard, organic material also from back yard. I found 3 gal container at constraction site and lot's of mosses very attracting look weeds and alos so good looking gravel left on constraction site. grow moss in 3 gal container different soil mix and feeding program different method of propagations. I let's you guys result later.
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    Out door moss cultivation
    I have made small test plot to grow moss to find informations which I can't find in books. It may take few years or longer to find fact and get results. use of fertilizer or chemicals such as 2-4D to accelate growth.
    I am making lists of questions myself and find answers one by one.

Today I was observing bottom of moss and found many intrsting things. Nematoda, small spider, mite, fungi, mass of egg of insect, some seeds. Soon after I trim off root, it chenged color to darker brown.It must have be some sort of chemical reaction. Few years ago I started to grow moss and experimenting differnt way to grow moss. Before I find any resoult, I had to leave home becouse of divorce.

I am going to take a role of film to CVS ( moss photos) I should able to post moss pictures by this week end.
    yama

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    17 years ago

Yama...we are going to have to give you a new name..Mr. Moss Man. :-) I think you have a scientific mind, yama and an amazing amount of single minded ability to focus. I am sorry to hear about your troubles.

I will find it a pleasure to follow along with your project and see how it all works out. Thanks very much for sharing with us.

pm2

17 years ago

Well Yama, if you like monster dragons... I dug out some photos I took at the New York Botanical Garden in the Children's Garden in December 2004. These were mostly made out of pine cones and greenery so I would think moss and pine cones would be fine.

When you visit the Brooklyn Botanic Garden with Cady you should check out the NYBG in the Bronx too.

But you have to be careful, some of these things stalk small prey...

Claire

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    17 years ago

Claire ..that last pic is a riot..lol. :-)

17 years ago

pm2:

That wasn't staged, luckily I had the camera out when I saw the little kid hanging around the creature.

Claire

• yama
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Wow !
    It is outstanding photos. Thank you. Now I have blue print in my head how to make frame of those cute monsters.
    I can weld steel bar and wire mesh. Once I settel in Mass, Cady and I will make few.
    My photos should be ready by this week end.
    yama

• maigloeckchen
    16 years ago

Hello, came across your info re: moss balls, now in September 2007. were any pictures posted at all?
    Hi from Canada

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    16 years ago

Here's a link to a slightly different set of directions. A google search of images of kokedama turned up lots of photos. The moss ball actually serves as the container for a plant. I like the idea of the large outdoor moss covered balls, but I think this would be easier to do as a topiary.

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• evonnestoryteller
    15 years ago

Moss Ball monsters!

• yama
    Original Author
    15 years ago

saypoint
    Thank you for posting the information.
    Orchid don't work. kokedama are under snow,single didget tempreture, it have to survive in New England weather.
    Basicly, the information is right. but not explaining what kind of soil is needed, what kind of theard in needed, after care of kokedama, what plants, what kind of moss can be used, how to fertilize moss etc. detail , detail . plants can be ordanarly weed, seedling in wood, if you understand basic of bonsail skill/technic also help. .
    To make kokedama, you don't have to spend lot's of money and time.

I don't have good writting skill nor speaking English well enought to communicate perfectly. but you see how to make it, then you understand easely. If anyone who are intrested,Please contact to me.
    yama

• evonnestoryteller
    15 years ago

I think I found some great examples, but I can't read what it says! I love the three little plants growing out of the top of the mound of moss!

Here is a link that might be useful: ³ºÄ

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    13 years ago

Here's a blog that (part way down the page) has a bunch of pictures plus several links to other sources of info on moss balls.

Here is a link that might be useful: blog entries on moss balls