Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
javaandjazz

Bird Feeder no shows

Richard Dollard
13 years ago

I put a bird feeder up in the back yard nearly 3 weeks ago and still no birds have showed up yet! I know once one finds it they will all show but in the mentime what can I do to get them to come? Thanks, Richie

Comments (10)

• corunum z6 CT
    13 years ago

Build it and they shall come! And they will. Because of my envy of Claire's Cape Cod sanctuary, I started a couple of years ago with one suet feeder hung on a shepherds hook from Ocean State Job Lot. A few Downy woodpeckers showed up within a few days. Then I grew a little more envious as more Cape Cod Sanctuary pictures were posted, so I got a decent feeder from Agway, an Audubon squirrel protector, another hook, another suet cage and bought myself a case of suet cakes for Christmas. They came. Overall, Ritchie, I'd say it took a month or more for the songbirds to become comfortable and use my offerings as their daily diner.

The following year I installed a fairly large heated birdbath on the deck railing. Providing water is critical (imagine dinner with no drink). Food, water, shelter are the basics for life, so I started planting more shrubs and small trees - for me, actually - the birds just grace them. But little songbird feet like little branches on which to cling and nearby evergreens provide quick shelter for them when the hawk casts its eagle eye (is that even legal?). Anyway, hang in there, here is what happened for me and it will certainly happen for you.
    This is my setup last January. It works and didn't cost that much. Squirrel baffle was $19 at Ace Hardware - but you really need it.

Carolina Wrens moved in on the suet and the seed - never had them here before

Water - critical (another Christmas present from Jane)

Have to add that it is BECAUSE of gardening that I am so interested in birds. I do plant specific berry and fruit-bearing shrubs/trees expressly for the birds and am trying to make my yard as 'native' as possible - which is also easier to care for as one, a-hem, gets a little older. Please post and let us know when your bird diner is full - have faith!

Kindly,
    Jane

Here is a link that might be useful: General Rules for Attracting Birds

• WendyB 5A/MA
    13 years ago

what kind of seed did you use? black oil sunflower seeds should be a guarantee draw. (although they do make a mess below with the shells...). Where did you locate it and what kind of feeder? They like trees and bushes nearby. (but not too close for squirrel access... a balancing act for sure!)

I just picked up a nice seed blend at Wild Birds Unlimited called "Winter Blend". It was mostly shelled sunflowers with about 5-10% other kinds. I do that for the less-mess factor. Sometimes shelled is not as attractive to them as shell-on, but this blend got them there pronto! It was kinda pricey and I probably won't continue with it through the season but I had an unused gift card and that seemed like a good use for it.

ALso, you can try scattering a few seeds on the ground.

The only time I have had poor results with feeders is my goldfinch thistle feeder. Its kinda iffy when they come for that. I put chopped sunflower seeds and thistle mix which does a little better than pure thistle.

• Richard Dollard
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I bought a 40lb bag of wild bird seed at Lowes. I used to feed the birds many years ago but recently started again but only for the cold weather now. I have the feeder in the back yard at the corner of the garage on a shepard's hook also. My yard is very small and could never fit a tree back there! The deer are a recent addition but that shouldn't bother them.

• WendyB 5A/MA
    13 years ago

the wild bird seed with cracked corn usually attracts larger birds. They may not be comfortable so close to a building??? Not sure. I've not used that seed mix.

I wonder if the reindeer could be throwing them off?

Its too bad you can't have the feeder near a window so you can enjoy them from inside. that is, if you get any.

• Richard Dollard
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The feeder was up for a week or so before I put the deer in. I can also see the feeder from my bedroom window on the 2nd floor, that's why I put it out by the garage.

• ctlady_gw
    13 years ago

Man I wish I had your problems on those sub-freezing days when I have to fill the tube feeder two or three times in one day! My experience, for what it's worth, is that (a) they like black oiled sunflower seed more than anything else (so do the squirrels!); (b) they do need trees or shrubs nearby because they take their seed off to crack it open on a branch, plus they want the safety of a quick getaway perch; and (c) I do think it is too close to a structure. I've read that closer to a building is better than just far enough away for them to swoop in at high speed (and hit a window), but I think you should probably pull that away from the garage at least a few feet. I also think the deer might be a problem (the lights, not the deer structure itself -- which they might actually enjoy perching on).

We have gone through nearly 100 pounds of black oiled sunflower seed just this fall... and a suet pack every 3 days!! I never had much luck with seed like what you've got, so you might start by just changing the seed. Don't know how you'll move that post with the ground frozen, but that's the other thing I'd try. My guys love the butterfly bushes surrounding the feeder area -- they perch there waiting their turn for a feeder spot. I'll get a picture and post it...

Also, if you're ever over in Hamden, there is a great bird store on Whitney Avenue in Mt. Carmel called Fat Robin. They are very knowledgeable and if you still aren't getting customers and find yourself in that neck of the woods, just stop in and ask their advice. Take a picture of your setup -- they will be able to offer you suggestions for placement, etc.

It is such a joy to watch them -- worth experimenting a bit to get them coming!

• crnaskater
    13 years ago

I miss having bird feeders. I did great for about 7-8 years but then one year I learned that the black sunflower seed was attracting a skunk from the nearby woods (spring) and oh the smell!! The squirrels were a constant battle! I had kept the seed in a metal garbage can in my attached garage till I got infested with moths....that took 3 years to get rid of too! So I finally gave it all up. So it is wonderful to hear you all are enjoying the birds so much. Maybe I will come up with some other feeder, seed, and storage for next winter.....I really miss the cardinals coming every year and the chickadees.

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    13 years ago

Others have already touched on most of the possible issues with your feeder.

I just would like to emphasize the role of water which is often more important than food for critters in the winter. Food can be easier to find than water in a world of ice. You might try putting some water down in a plant saucer away from the building to draw the birds to your yard and hopefully they will then see the feeder.

You don't need a fancy heated set-up; one of my birdbaths is a simple plant saucer with water. Every day I knock out the ice (carefully stomping on the back works nicely - I say "carefully" because this is my second or third saucer; they do crack if stomped too enthusiastically).

Claire

• WendyB 5A/MA
    13 years ago

I went to re-fill a feeder today and noticed that the very small percentage of "wild bird seed" (perhaps millet??) that was in my my fancy seed blend, was left behind at the bottom of the feeder! There was so little of it in the blend, I never even noticed it was in there until I see it rejected (along with some safflower seeds). I won't be buying that blend again. Whatever small percentage is in there, I don't want it. My birds apparently are too spoiled. 100% sunflower seeds only!

I too had given up on bird feeding the past couple of years to try to see if I could reduce the chipmunk population which was causing a lot of havoc in the garden and alongside my house foundation. But 2 years of not feeding didn't make any difference in the chipmunk damage. So I'm happy to be feeding the birds again. I will keep it away from the house, just in case.

• defrost49
    13 years ago

what a delight to see photos of Carolina wrens. We have a pair that are new to our feeders this year.
    I think the bird seed might be the major fault. One time we got an inexpensive blend for my MIL and she said the birds didn't like it. We get a Song Bird blend at our local farm and feed store. Their sign tells what birds like the mix but it's not the most popular of our feeders. We have 2 net socks filled with thistle seed which gold finches love. The sunflower seed is in another feeder. The socks plus one suet feeder are very close to the house hanging from shepherd's hooks next to the kitchen walk but they are next to a viburnum which offers some protection between the feeders and the house. I also have a spreading cotoneaster next to the viburnum which the bluebirds loved in the late fall. Good think I was looking out the window at 7am because that's when they visited. suspect it was just before they headed south.

I would hang a suet feeder and a thistle sock. Both are inexpensive to start with. The rest of our feeders are hanging in a maple tree across the driveway and there is a definite preference for the suet feeder on the tree. If you have a shrub in the yard that you could hang the feeders next to, I think that would help. Our ground is mostly frozen so it may be too late to buy a shepherds hook on clearance. OTH you could find someone's discarded Christmas tree after the holiday that might work. We have a lot of activity at the base of the shrubs. At first we thought the wrens were ground feeders but then they discovered the suet feeders.

Good luck!