Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
runktrun

Oh by Gosh by Golly How I Love a Holly

runktrun
15 years ago

This fall when I was walking with a friend through my garden and was clearly stressed by the beating most of my hollies have taken over the last few years thanks to scale, mites, voles, rabbits, and winter burn, she commented how surprised she was that I hadnÂt given up planting them in my landscape. GIVE UP ILEX was she insane, this majestic tree is truly the Queen not only of all evergreen trees and shrubs but I will go as far as to say the entire plant kingdom. I can think of no other plant that will work as well in a formal landscape as it will in a casual woodland setting. The reflection of light on itÂs shiny leaves, the form of of both ilex trees and shrubs canÂt be beat, will happily withstand pruning year round so cuttings can be brought indoors for the holidays, come on admit it this multi use plant that will grow happily in most zones under conditions that would make many other plants drop to their knees or at least drop their leaves should crowned queen of any garden.

"The Holly Society of America" is a great resource for a further look at this plant. Among many other things they offer a long list of recommended books and pamphlets at very reasonable prices. As I already depend on guidance from the Brooklyn Botanic Garden Record ÂHollies a Gardeners Guide and "Hollies The Genus Ilex" Fred C. Galle I doubted I needed anything else to add to my library until I saw; Charles W. McComb, A Field Guide to Insect Pests of Holly, 1985. 122 pages. This comprehensive field manual is specifically designed and illustrated to help identify 71 insects and mites found on holly in the U.S. Each listing indicates reported range, host plants, and types of injury inflicted. This publication is the only one of its kind currently in print. $7.00

How have you used ilex in your landscape, as a specimen, hedge, shrub border, woodland planting? Have you had pest problems? What have you done to solve them? Show us some photos of your favorites.

Every once in a while I get the urge to play around propagating ilex I wonder would anyone be interested in swapping named ilex cuttings? Perhaps through the mail in early spring?

Here is a new 3 Ilex centrochinensis x aquifolium ÂCentennial Girl bought this fall and not a month later a %&@#$$$ rabbit considered it as well as a couple of new ilex glabra dinner. It will take a few years but I have faith they will recover how many other varieties plants can say the same thing with confidence.

Comments (11)

• nandina
    15 years ago

My absolute favorite is Longstalk holly (Ilex pedunculosa). A mature specimen in full fruit is a sight to behold in the bright winter sun. Locating the male form is difficult and I never had one or knew which type of the 50 or so hollies I grew was the pollinator. Always suspected it was one of the chinese hollies.

Runktrun, do a search on the Propagating Forum for my posts on the "Toothpick Technique". This is a method of rooting hollies and other woodies. So easy. Works well.

• diggingthedirt
    15 years ago

I. pedunculosa is one of my favorites, because of the great berries and the lack of spines on the leaves. After searching for them for years, I scored a handful of them in the bargain section of a local nursery - nobody knew what they were. I have 4 females and a male, about 6' tall now, and forming a nice hedge along the border with the manicured yard next door. Not specimens, by any means, but glossy, dense, and covered with berries even though they're in fairly heavy shade. Not being sure how they'd fruit there, I interplanted a couple of deciduous varieties, which I should probably move out now as the longstalks have filled in and it's gotten a bit crowded.

My main problem with other hollies - blue ones in particular - has been that they never reach the height I need. I've already removed one row of lovely holly which were advertised as something like 10 x 6', and of course they were 6' tall and 20' wide by the time I gave up on them ever providing screening from the 2 story house next door. The replacements, - Blue Prince and Princess, I think - don't seem to be in any hurry to top the 6' fence, although they're supposed to be 10-15'. I may have to replace them with some tall volunteer American hollies that have sprung up around the garden, although I hate to think of the eventual width of those.

I do love Ilex glabra, the NE native. It's hard to find any that are not listed as compact cultivars, which is too bad. I have only 1, and it's awfully nice - understated, slightly formal, always clean-looking foliage. They get a little leggy, but I like that because it allows air circulation at the ground level where there are perennials.

I'll have to have a look at the propagation forum - that would be a fun enterprise.

• runktrun
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Nandina I am looking forward to trying this technique in August,
    " NandinaÂs Toothpick Technique"

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    15 years ago

Thanks for the link to Nandina's propagating directions, KT. My inlaws have an unknown variety of evergreen holly (which they picked up at the grocery store of all places!) that has made a gorgeous hedge to provide wind shelter to the house as well as a visual barrier to hide their side yard propane tank. It's now about 7 feet tall and all the family cuts branches for winter decorating. I've been thinking for several years that I'd like to try propagating some for our yard, though I'd have to put it where my DH won't come in contact with it as he doesn't like the prickles.

I've grown Ilex glabra (inkberry) and I. verticillata (winterberry). I had no regret leaving the inkberry behind when we moved - to me there wasn't enough interest, just green leaves which pretty much got buried by snow in the winter, but I love the winterberry. Much of the year it's just green, but when those berries appear in the fall, it's at a time when much else is just shades of black, tan, white, and gray, so it really packs a punch. I've got some growing wild, and am adding more, in small sizes, to various wet spots and hedge borders.

• runktrun
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I've been thinking for several years that I'd like to try propagating some for our yard, though I'd have to put it where my DH won't come in contact with it as he doesn't like the prickles.
    Babs no worries... I grabbed a few ilex leaves when I took the dog out this morning and thought tonight when Joe falls asleep on the couch I will do an official prickle test. I'll poke him with each leaf and if he stops snoring we will know that variety is somewhat prickly, if he wakes up it will be classified as very prickly and if he sleeps through it then that will be the ilex your hubby can live with. Now don't go and feel sorry for Joe..frankly after nearly thirty years of marriage you would think he would have learned years ago when I say I don't want anything for Xmas that really means I want a watch to replace the one that was stolen last spring!

• cloud_9
    15 years ago

You'd think evolution would have provided men with the ability to read minds as a survival technique by NOW wouldn't you? Poor Joe! But then again, if he snores... poor Katie!

One of my favorite things that I am leaving (WHENEVER that is!!!) is a giant holly that was a major privacy screen. It was very prickly, but great to cut for the mantle at Xmas.

• diggingthedirt
    15 years ago

LOL, Katy ... I have the same problem with Christmas gifts. I just buy my own nowadays, usually in the garden section of the local bookstore.

Have not tried the prickle test on Christo yet, but that's a good one to file for future reference.

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    15 years ago

Holly - you mean the things the deer strip, winterburn horribly, and just plain don't like it here? The things I'd love a hedge of? Those things?

• runktrun
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Awe...come on Mad Gal all you would need is a $55. gallon of Wilt Pruf, ten tons of organic fertilizer, miles of deer fencing, Gallons of Neem Oil, and one pair of rose colored glasses.

• Marie Tulin
    15 years ago

don't your guys have their own prickles?
    marie

• runktrun
    Original Author
    15 years ago

idabean,
    don't your guys have their own prickles?

Can't tell you how hard I laugh over that one, itÂs particularly delicious coming from a chaplain.