Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shrub ID from Lowe's parking lot Southington, CT

Posted by javaandjazz z6 CT (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 21, 13 at 10:20

Saw this neat shrub in Lowe's parking lot of all places. Does anyone know what it is? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shrub ID from Lowe's parking lot Southington, CT

• Posted by corunum CT 6 Central CT (My Page) on
    Sat, Dec 21, 13 at 11:25

Looks like a dying rhododendron, Ritchie, but the berries look like it may be bayberry. Not happy whatever it is.

Jane

This post was edited by corunum on Sat, Dec 21, 13 at 12:33

o

Snowberry??
Agreed, it's not doing well.

o

Looks like rhododendron leaves, and I agree that they are looking poorly. I think there is a variety that also produces white berries but I don't know its name. Could this be a one that grows in warmer climates?

o

Definitely not Rhododendron, since that produces dry brown capsules as opposed to berries. I think Jane got it with her suggestion of bayberry which has leaves that are a bit similar. Doing a scratch and sniff test will confirm since bayberry has a distinctive spicy odor.

Bayberry (Myrica pensylvanica) is tolerant of salt, which may be why it was planted in a parking lot, but it also is tolerant of wet soils which may be why it looks so unhappy; it may have gotten too dry at some point. Bayberries have male and female plants, so if you want berries, you need at least one male mixed in with females. The waxy berries were used to create candles in colonial times, but it takes a lot of them. I can't imagine picking enough bayberries to get wax for even one candle since the berries are boiled to separate off the thin layer of wax that gives them the whitish color.

o

I believe it is bayberry. And they are sort of semi-evergreen or decidious. That is probably why some of the leaves look brown. It could be perfectly healthy and is just losing some of its leaves (as long as that pic was taken recently and not last summer!).

o

I agree with Rockman - it looks like a reasonably happy bayberry losing some of its leaves. I have these, although mine are volunteers and seem to be all male (or, I guess, all female).

Never heard of a rhody with berries - that seems like an impossibility, at least if we're talking about botanical classifications.

o

+1 for bayberry. Mine usually had many, if not all, their leaves turn brown and drop most years, but some years they were semi-evergreen.

Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here