Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eholmes1

Winter Wheelbarrow/Tomato Cage Storage?

eholmes1
10 years ago

We're about to get 10 inches of snow here, so I can no longer put off dealing with the 60 tomato cages and wheelbarrow I have stored underneath my overgrown apple tree.

Unfortunately, I don't have a shed or garage. Would putting a tarp over these these items help stop rust or make it worse?

Comments (6)

• DoGooder
    10 years ago

eholmes1, the tarp will definitely help, but plastic tarps frequently tear. To increase the chances that the tarp won't tear I recommend securing it firmly with stakes, rocks, etc.

• eholmes1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the tip, I think I'm going to try it, unless I can find some room in the basement. I'm a little worried about trapping moisture inside the tarp i.e. moisture coming up from the ground and not being able to evaporate.

I didn't think about where I would store all of these tomato cages when I bought them!

• DoGooder
    10 years ago

eholmes1, as long as there are air holes at the bottom of the tarp, I assume there will be enough ventilation to remove excess moisture in the air. However, the ground will probably rust the section of of the cages that touch the earth. A raised floor would avoid that problem but that's a lot of work and the storms have already started here in MA. The basement would definitely be a drier location.

• seb99 z 6a
    10 years ago

I Have cages that are 30+ years old, never been indoors or under cover. For winter I just nest them and lean 'em against a tree. I have as many as you, and most of them are a rich brown color (rust).

Seb

• seb99 z 6a
    10 years ago

Re: the wheel barrow, the wooden handles and wheel assembly would benefit from protection indoors. Maybe you could disassemble it to take up less space and that would be a good opportunity put some paint on any exposed metal and an extra of clear on the handles. The bed could be left outside, if plastic, put it in a black garbage bag to minimise uv damage.

Personaly, I prefer a two weel garden cart, barrows too tippy.

Seb

• spedigrees z4VT
    10 years ago

My vintage 1973 wheelbarrow (all steel except for a wooden brace that the hubby bolted onto it for extra structural integrity when he first bought it) spent a lot of partial winters outdoors leaned up against the side of the barn, until the hay supply indoors had been depleted enough to make room for it. It's still serviceable although it has a hairline crack in the bottom of the bed. I don't imagine they make wheelbarrows to last today as they did then, though.

I think if I were going to cover anything with a tarp, I would place a tarp underneath the items as well as a tarp over the top. It might help keep the moisture from coming up out of the ground. I used to that with my firewood.