Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
idabean2

Continuing Education 2011: Al's Gritty Mix

Marie Tulin
13 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I mentioned I'm going to work more with houseplants this winter, and began to read up at the GW Container Gardening Forum here.

One of the first posts included pictures of the root system of an amaryllis grown in what is affectionately known as "Al's Gritty Mix", Al being a GW member not a commercial enterprise.

His work on potting mixtures and plant growth in containers is impressive. Takes container growing and potting mediums to a exceptional level of expertise.

I'm interested whether or not any of you are familiar with this information. If you have time to read about it, does it interest you enough to look into it more?

Marie

Comments (3)

• nandina
    13 years ago

Marie, you have received some excellent answers to your question on the Container Forum as to what ingredients to use for indoor plant potting. Go with that advice. I agree that the whole discussion of the 'gritty mix' is now over the top and confusing on that Forum. Here in my area of South Carolina pine bark mulch is readily available in bulk sold in many grades from fine to coarse. Very difficult to locate in other parts of the country. I have experimented with all grades of pine bark and developed my own personal formulas based on types of containers and plant needs. However, I now feel that my success with gritty mix is 50% due to installing a wick inside pot bottoms and elevating pots slightly on pot feet (or whatever does the job). Also, check Lowes to see if it sells Espsoma Bio-Tone Starter Plus which contains Mycorrhizae fungus. A natural product also available on line. I have become a believer in adding this product to containers. Makes a difference. Good luck figuring it all out, sorting through various confusing opinions

• terrene
    13 years ago

Hi Idabean, Al (tapla) and I have been having a conversation over on Soil & Compost, a thread call "Re-using Potting Soil". He has posted some excellent pictures over there. I can't speak for his gritty mix, but have learned a lot from his posts about container culture.

I'm not really interested in containers outside, other than doing the winter-sowing and pot ghettos. Would like to upgrade the houseplants and enhance their growth and blooms. The Thanksgiving cactus bloomed nicely this year, but they haven't been repotted for years and years. They could probably do better.

Nandina I'm jealous you have easy access to the bark fines. I haven't found them anywhere around here yet.

• Marie Tulin
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey Terrene your Xmas cactus would be a prime candidate for his gritty mix.If I get a batch together and have enough left over I'll offer it to your cactus.
    My outdoor pots are just annuals for constant color or texture. Its my indoor plants, like yours, I'd like to treat better.

Mindy, if you happen to read this, I think you might be interested in what Al teaches about container plants and his soiless planting medium. I've been thinking about your beautiful chamys obtusas in the big pots at your door. I know you hardly need another project, but his information might be interesting to you