Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What seeds should I buy for a novice gardener in suburban CT?

Posted by emily99 Southern CA (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 17, 11 at 13:47

hi all!

So I live on the West Coast, but I'm trying to put together some gardening gifts for a relative that lives in the suburbs of Connecticut (about 30 minutes outside NYC). She is just getting into gardening and will be starting her garden when it starts to get warm this year. She didn't plant any bulbs this past year, so I want to buy her some seeds to get started in the spring. I don't think she's really into edibles - so what seeds can I buy her for beautiful and fun plants that are not insanely high-maintenance?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What seeds should I buy for a novice gardener in suburban CT?

Are you looking for perennials or annuals, or either? I'm assuming you want something that germinates and grows easily, since she is new to this! Perennials, as you may likely know, don't always bloom in their first year so I don't know if that will discourage her.

Also, do you know what her conditions are? Sunny, shady, dry, wet? And lastly, will she be planting in beds or containers, or both?

If you can answer some of these, it will help narrow down choices.

In general, in sunny areas, annuals like zinnias, asters, cosmos, sunflowers, and rudbeckias are sure-fire winners. Easy to germinate, fairly easy-care, and lots of bang for your buck. Echinacea (perennial) is also easy and works in sunny areas.

If she has mostly shade it's a bit trickier, but certainly still doable - mimulus, foxgloves, impatiens, etc. If you can give more info about her conditions, etc., we can come up with lots more suggestions.

Nice gift - how thoughtful!
Dee

o
RE: What other stuff should I buy for a novice gardener in suburb

I meant to add dahlias. While most people (including myself) usually buy tubers, I've had great success starting dahlias from seed, and they bloom first year. At the end of the season you have tubers you can lift and store for the following season.

Dee

o
RE: What seeds should I buy for a novice gardener in suburban CT?

Marigolds are easy in a sunny spot, but I will wait to hear more about her growing conditions to add more seed suggestions.

Other gardening gifts might include some nice tools, such as a well-made trowel, a good gardening book, such as Tracy DiSabato-Aust's The Well-Designed Mixed Garden. Gift certificates for mail order nurseries with good reputations are nice also, especially if there are plants, bulbs, etc from that source that you really like that you can suggest.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here