Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ginny12first

Sudden onslaught of ads

ginny12
13 years ago

I've been a GW members for many years but never had ads. I stay logged in all the time on my home computer. Every so often they ask me to log in again and I do, with no problems.

Two days ago, I was asked to log in and every forum is now covered with incredibly annoying large ads. Many of them jump and move--distracting to say the least.

I've seen some discussion of this problem elsewhere. Anyone here having the problem and have any ideas on how to solve it?

Comments (12)

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    13 years ago

I started getting ads a week or so ago, when they had all of the log-in issues. I don't get large ads, just a banner at the top and others down the right side. I take that back, I just got a bigger, more annoying Febreze ad on the right side.

There doesn't seem to be any discussion on the suggestions forum and I don't have any ideas except that I can resize the window so I don't see the ads on the right side. I never had ads before so I suspect this is a new policy. I hope this isn't the future. I'd be happy to pay a subscription fee to avoid ads.

Claire

• cloud_9
    13 years ago

I was nervous when I noticed that I wasn't logged in, but I hate to sound like a broken record (complete with trite similes), but Firefox with Adblock = no ads 4 me (still)
    : D

13 years ago

It just seems strange that this should suddenly happen, when I've never had the problem before.

I have Safari set to
    "Block Pop-Up Windows" and to
    "Accept cookies: Only from sites I visit, Block cookies from other sites and advertisers"

This has always worked for me, until now. I don't want to switch browsers at this point.

Claire

• corunum z6 CT
    13 years ago

They have Adblock for Safari, all the IE versions and Firefox. I had the banner/ad problem suddenly appear a few months ago and downloaded Ad Block for both IE and Firefox and since then, zero ads on either browser from this website. Worth a look and perhaps an updating of Ad Block if you already have the free program. Also did that GW opt-out thingy again.

Jane

• ginny12
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have never had this problem before. But what's that GW opt-out thingy you mentioned?

• corunum z6 CT
    13 years ago

The link below allows you to disable the 'text in message highlighting'. Along with the ads you are seeing, Ginny, if you are also seeing highlighted text within sentences, you can 'opt out' of having those highlighted words appear on your screen by going to the below website and clicking on the Disable tab. I installed Ad Block and did the opt out again all at the same time, closed the browser and when I started again, all the ads and highlighted text were gone. IE is good for somethings, but Firefox seemingly is more secure. When the ads suddenly appeared on my PC, both browsers had them. It's free, just takes 2 minutes.

Jane

Here is a link that might be useful: Vibrant Opt Out

• ginny12
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you, Corunum. I will give this a try. It is very strange this appeared just as GW is doing a lot of tech stuff to their site, as they admitted.

As a personal policy, I never click on ads, even if it's something I want--which is rare. It is an offensive instrusion and it seems to be everywhere.

13 years ago

Progress! I just downloaded Safari AdBlocker and all of the ads on the right are gone (Thanks, Jane). I still see the ad in the banner at the top though. That's nowhere near as annoying since I usually scroll down and it's off the screen.

Maybe the banner ad will also disappear when I've gone through another shutdown cycle.

I haven't had the green underlining for a long time, since I opted out.

Claire

13 years ago

I've been traveling around to different forums and the top banner ad is beginning to be blocked too. It may be an artifact of how current the thread/window is - ads in new threads/windows are blocked; older ones aren't because they're part of the History.

Claire (guessing at reason, but very glad it's working)

• ravenh2001
    13 years ago

Please don't block the adds till you give this a thought.Adds pay for the sight to be free, they don't pay if they are not hit on, If they are not hit on and go away, so does the sight. think world wide webb and cost. follow the dollar/yen/ect.

13 years ago

I'd much rather pay a subscription fee. GW used to charge $15 per year (if I remember correctly) and I willingly paid it. I understand the site needs revenue but ads are not the only option. I subscribe to other sites such as Weather Underground to avoid ads.

Claire

• sharbear50
    13 years ago

I have all pop-up ads blocked on my browser for all websites. I still see the adsence ads but I just don't hover over them.