Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ontheteam

Need your help for a Charity plant sale in 2011

ontheteam
13 years ago

Time to Rally the troops. 2011 CMN plant sale

Crazy Plant Lady

Is back and is looking for horticultural heroes to join the effort of doing good!

I am looking for a few green thumb's or green thumb wanna be's to adopt some seeds.Master gardeners and serial plant killers welcome.Pick something you want to grow for yourself and grow some for the kids at the same time. I

.... I can provide seeds,trays,pots,pony packs and flats. I'll tell you what I know and help you find the answers to the questions I do not. There are plants and seed starting methods for every one!!

Warm and Sunny May seems a long way off and CMN balloons are far from our mind.....but it's time to stat growing plants for the CMN plant sale in May.

READY, SET, GROW !

Email at CrazyPlantLady@AaronTarver.org

to volunteer,ask a question,or offer moral support..

Some good places to get started.

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/wtrsow/?1359

Here is a link that might be useful: blog/ with detail

Comments (12)

• arbo_retum
    13 years ago

ontheteam, maybe it's just me, but i have absolutely no idea what this is about. what is the charity, when is the sale;what do you need? how much is usually raised?
    best,
    mindy

• ontheteam
    Original Author
    13 years ago

This is the 3rd time I have done this and have explained it so much on here I just figured everyone had the gist of it or would go to the in depth blog . Sorry I was sure you knew esp since you are a big Prouty Garden fan too.. My bad...

It is a plant sale that happens at Costco in Avon weekends in May to coincide with the store's fundraiser for Children's Miracle Network. ( CMN) They donate the $$ raised by the 5 local Costcos in MA to Children's Hospital Boston. ( CHB) Last year the plant sale raised $10,000.00 I met a bunch of great Garden-webbers and had supper support from them. Marlele in particular. She read about me here walked in off the street and became my right hand woman and best friend.
    I do hope you will think about lending a hand. Marlene and I had a tour of the Hospital in Oct when we presented the $143,000.00 Check the Costco group raised. I had to drag Marlene outta Prouty Garden....

Here is a link that might be useful: IN DEPTH Blog

• zahzeen
    13 years ago

Hi Mindy,

Michelle is referring to her third annual plant sale to benefit "The Childrens Miracle Network". Last year over $10,000 was raised which went to the Boston Childrens Hospital. Michelle and her family put in so, so much work into this and I think she is just asking if anyone else wants to "pitch in". I wish my thumbs were greener and I would help out more! If you wish you could help by asking Mahoney's for a contribution. McCure (or McClunes???) just down the street made a donation last year. Lucky me for being a part of Michelle's great work, I met the wonderful people at Blanchettes - their only question when I asked for a donation "What do you need". They were such nice people! And of course, Fran from Billerica gave me vegetables and plants after her "swap" - greatly appreciated!

Anyway, for those that can wintersow - anything you contribute would be great! Thank you all so much.

• littleonefb
    13 years ago

Hi Mindy and all on the New England Forum,

Michelle runs a wonderful plant sale in Avon as part of the Cosco's work for the Children's Miracle Network and Children's Hospital in Boston.

Any amount of money made for them is well appreciated and her huge donation is a tribute to her and her family and hard work she puts into this.

Any and all help will be appreciated, whether it be seeds mailed to her to start, containers to sow seeds in, Spring divisions of perennials that you could donate, even if they need to be grown for the following years plant sale, seedlings that you started from seed or reseeds in your gardens and any and all extra pots that you no longer want.
    And of course, anyone that is able to volunteer some time in Avon at the plant sale would be well appreciated.

Michelle can arrange for someone to come to your home to pick up anything that you are able to donate for the plant sale, so if you are not able to bring it down, don't feel that you can't help out.

Marlene, so you had to be "dragged out of the Prouty Garden" and in Oct no less. You should see it in the spring and summer then. It's become one beautiful garden with plants growing, blooming for every season.

I can remember when it was just a dream to have and how it slowly took shape and started to develop.
    Many, many perennials, trees and plants there are from my grandparent's farm, donated by them over the early years of the development of the garden, and spent many a day shoveling soil, compost, peat, mulch and planting that garden,

It's a beautiful, peaceful place to sit and relax in, enjoy the beauty and bring a child to that is an inpatient. It is always full of staff, parents, children and in the summer, many an event is held outside in the garden for the children.

Michelle, I suggest that instead of using the abbreviation CMN, you actually use the full name, Children's Miracle Network and Children's Hospital. That way people will be familiar with the organization.

I haven't forgotten about those seeds, they will be on the way in the next week or 2.

Fran

• arbo_retum
    13 years ago

i've never been to the prouty garden but it must be lovely.
    i don't wintersow but defly have potted up divisions i can give in the spring. Whenever someone is heading down to take plants to avon,plse give me a week's notice and i will have some things if you can stop here and pick them up. directions are on our website's welcome pg.

Better if you contact me through
    cottonarboretum@comcast.net

best,
    mindy
    www.cottonarboretum.com/

• ontheteam
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I will Mindy! Thank you!!

-------------------------------updated blog . I'll do my best to answer your questions and talk you in to helping me.

In 2009 I started to many seeds for my own use. I asked my boss at work if we could sell them at work and I could add what that sale raised to what the company was raising for Children's Miracle Network that would benefit Children's Hospital Boston.
    Well from my "extra" plants we made $3000.00.

So I planed for a year grew lots of "extras" found a lot of kind crazy generous people to help me..and we made $10,500.00 in 2010 for Children's Miracle Network that would benefit Children's Hospital Boston.
    The Hospital then uses that Money for the general fund,it provides entertainment for Patients,And helps fund the un-insured and catastrophic care fund ..so no Child is turned away...

So Now I am planing the 2011 sale. I am looking for any help any person gnats to give. I need soil, seeds, growers,fetchers,mailers,and transporters for plants to name a few ways I would need your help. OR you tell me..what's your strenght? Want to lend it to me? Great!!
    So poke around. Drop me a line. Get involved!
    Thanks for stopping by!

Here is a link that might be useful: http://gardenblog.aarontarver.org/2011/01/2011-childrens-miracle-network-charity.html

• zahzeen
    13 years ago

Hi All,

Michelle sent me a message regarding heirloom tomato seeds from Trudy in Long Insland. Silly me erased the message so I cannnot quote it verbeatim. I beleive she received over 100 seeds and is looking for someone to adopt them and grow them for her Childrens Hospital plant sale this May. I think there were some other seeds sent as well. If anyone can help out, it would be very wonderful. Say you are already planning to wintersow, maybe you could do 10 or 20 extra for Michelle - well really for the Childrens Hospital. I will be happy to pick them up from Billerica, Wakefeild to Braintree. Also, there was a big demand for strawberry plants that we ran out of quickly. Basil (all favorities) were in great deamnd also. If any of you can help out with tomatoes, strawberries, basil, extra winter sowing plants or cuttings/splits of any kind, I'll be happy to get them. Costco matches (not sure what %) so your donations are more than the orgininal price. Also, if you have a relationship with a garden center, Michelle can provide you a lettet from the Childrens Hopital asking for a donation. Sometimes things in life surprise you and for me to ask Blanchetts for a donation was a bit intimitating - but what a wonderful experience it turned out to be! Thank you if you can help.

• leira
    13 years ago

I'm in Medford.

I can probably give you some strawberry plants when I get the garden in order this Spring. I have some sort of June-bearers, but I don't know the precise variety. I can guarantee they are tasty.

If you're looking for herbs, I'll also be overrun with feverfew, lemon balm, and Italian parsley (the last isn't the best for transplanting, but I've had good success, if I get them early enough and if I'm careful enough). I will probably have a few dill plants, because I usually do, but we'll know in Spring (ditto on the "poor transplanter" and also "I've had success anyway"). I may have some rosemary plants if my propagation efforts are successful.

I have rose campion (i.e. mullein pink) in great quantity, BUT, I have both white ones and the much more common fuchsia, and until they bloom, there's really no way to know which you'll get. I have plenty that will be in their second year, so at least they'll bloom this year. If not knowing the color isn't a problem, you're more than welcome to them.

More of a stretch, but...I've been growing out some "volunteer" tomatoes the past couple of years, by transplanting the biggest plants I find in the garden (either from dropped fruit or from the compost, I suppose). I've had a lot of fun and have had a lot of success, but I understand that most people would prefer to have a named variety, and to know in advance if they're getting determinate, indeterminate, cherry, plum, or what! If you have any interest in this whatsoever, you're welcome to the extras.

If my seed starting efforts are successful this Spring, I will be additionally overrun will all sorts of things, mostly herbs and vegetables. I'll report back later.

• ontheteam
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Liera! Welcome to the team!! Thank you so much!!
    My Emalia is Rosesarered73@gmail.com

MARLENE, Have I told you that I lub you!! And I miss ya lady!! Birthday cake for the Princess Next Sunday.. you free?

FRAN!!! Your seeds are here and being sorted threw oggled and adored!! Soon to be planted!! Thank you!!

• ontheteam
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have about 100 of each of these seeds Kindly Donated by Trudi at Winter Sown.org You intrested in Starting any of these for you and for the sale?

Brandywine
    Amish Paste
    Green Zebera
    isis Candy
    Gartrnperle
    oxheart Tomato
    Yellow Cherry pear tomato
    Islea
    Golden sunrise
    Chico III
    Baby beef Steak
    Early Kus Ali
    Varigated tomaot

and Sausage tomato
    And
    I have about 60 Roma seeds
    and 20 of the following Oregon Spring Brush
    Lola Hybrid
    Moonslow
    Heatwave hybrid II
    Best Boy Hybrid
    Alaska
    Early wonder
    Brandy BOy
    Giant tree
    Ghost Cherry

• littleonefb
    13 years ago

MIchelle,glad to know you got them and except for the tomato roma seeds, none of the other tom seeds are on the list you posted.

Email me if you are looking for some specific seeds, I may have some of them for you and can send them.

Fran

• ontheteam
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The seeds I have been given are GREAT! I am loving it! I will carefully store what I can not use th is year for next year.
    Now I need People to GROW the seeds and Dirt..er soil... to grow em in. due to some challenges ( break job,oil heat and feeding 2 teenagers..LOL) I find myself short of funds..so if you want to donate Dirt cheap...Please donate some well Dirt..LOL. for the Garden Project.
    More complete seed list available soon..and the worse the Seahawks do the sooner that list will be up...

Here is a link that might be useful: blog