Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bill_ri_z6b

December 2 garden

bill_ri_z6b
11 years ago

Took these today. Not bad for December.

I don't remember what this annual was called but it's been blooming since I planted it in April!

Knockout roses still hanging on even if a bit tattered

Camellia "Snow Flurry" never disappoints!

Rosemary "Barbecue" thriving and in bloom now!

Raindrops on wild mullein

Armeria still blooming too

Some pansies and perennial violas still going well, and a few mums hanging on too.

{{gwi:5901}}

Comments (11)

• spedigrees z4VT
    11 years ago

Ah, Rhode Island must be much warmer than Vermont, although we do still have a green landscape. It's nice to see flowers still blooming, even if vicariously through photographs! The yellow star-shaped flowers look especially robust. Very pretty!

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    11 years ago

Bill, every time I see your 'Snow Flurry' I'm so tempted to try it in a protected spot in my garden. Did you buy yours locally or mail order?

• bill_ri_z6b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Spedigrees, yes I am in the tropics of New England! (Smiley face here!)

thyme2dig, I bought it mail order from Camforest nursery (www.camforest.com). This camellia has survived the worst winters here with no problem. I do have it close to a south-facing stone wall and it's partially tucked under a big holly tree. I think you could try it in a protected spot there. They list several camellias for zone 6, or 6A, but I think you could try some in a protected spot. The real issue is drying out in winter from the winds, since the frozen soil won't supply moisture. Some people have used anti-dessicant sprays on the foliage, but I have never done that, and my 'Snow Flurry' is over 15 years old.

• defrost49
    11 years ago

I am jealous! Even the brave alyssum has given up. The rosemary looks lovely. I neglected mine this fall so it didn't last long enough to be moved indoors for my annual effort to bring one thru the winter. Bill, what will you do now for the rosemary? Do you have to bring it in?

• bill_ri_z6b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Defrost, this is a zone 6 hardy variety ("Barbecue"), and I also have "Arp" out front by the cactus garden, although it's not in bloom now. This is the third season for both of them, so they've gone through two winters without protection.

• molie
    11 years ago

Wow! Put me in the jealous category, too, Bill! Though we live along a river in southern CT, I fear that the fierce winter winds that come up the river through our yard might do in a Camellia "Snow Flurry" but I think I'll check it out anyhow.

Btw, that annual looks like Biden to me, especially because of its leaves. I'm amazed at how lush it looks and also how wonderfully so many things are blooming for you still. Your rosemary is beautiful!

Molie

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    11 years ago

Nice to have blooms in December, Bill. Your' Snow Flurry ' pushed me to finally purchase a Camellia last spring. It has gone into the winter covered with fat buds. I didn't have a stone wall to plant it near, but for it's first winter, I'm going to cover it with a milk crate full of leaves, per Camellia Forest instructions. I'm pretty sure there's nothing else blooming here in the garden right now. Love that Rosemary blooming too.

• bill_ri_z6b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Ann,
    Well the "Snow Flurry" is a fall bloomer, so there isn't any danger of flowers or buds getting killed by late spring frosts as there may be with the spring blooming types. I think protection from winter sun and wind is good because drying out is more of a threat to success than actual cold. Camforest has so many zone 6 varieties now that many people in New England ought to try some. They are so gorgeous in bloom, and evergreen of course, so always a nice touch in the winter garden.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    11 years ago

Yes, I love the evergreen foliage. The very dark green thick leaves. I bought one of the spring bloomers, 'April Blush' or something like that.

• bill_ri_z6b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ann, "April Blush" is one that I have had for several years now: at least 15 years. Last spring it was really gorgeous. It had around 50+ blooms and they all opened since we had such a mild winter and spring. Right now it has close to 100 buds, but it remains to be seen if they will all open. If we have a later cold spell they can succumb, but time will tell. It's also the little picture I use in my sign-off below.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    11 years ago

Bill, sorry, I just saw this post. I've been zipping in and out of the forum lately. I do see that April Blush photo on your signature, now. Neat. 100 buds! That's a lot....lol. And those buds are big and fat too! It's nice to have a shrub that is evergreen, that has such nice clean, healthy shiny foliage, flowers when they bloom, but also the buds on the shrub are decorative. I am excited to see our's in the spring. We have an overturned milk crate full of leaves over it for the winter. Thanks again for interesting me in Camillias. :-)